The Falkirk FC Thread

38 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

There's a decent amount of cash in the pot and the new manager and bod should be selling their plans for the club to any player we're looking at.  If Arbroath had sat 3 or 4 years ago and though whose going to want to sign for us we're a part time team with gates of a few hundred in a ramshackle stadium which freezes your balls off and we've little chance of going further then they wouldn't now been top of the bloody championship. 

That’s what a good manager can do……..we’ve tried that haven’t we 🤔

15 minutes ago, Springfield said:

That’s what a good manager can do……..we’ve tried that haven’t we 🤔

We've not had the manager in post to get the right players in. Poor recruitment after poor recruitment. It's everything in football these days no matter what league you are in.

5 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Would people accept us basically papering over the cracks in this window and saving money for a title challenge next year?
I think there's next to no chance of 3rd or above and without serious reinforcements we will really struggle for 4th.

No.

4th is achievable and once in the playoffs you have at least a chance of promotion.

11 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Would people accept us basically papering over the cracks in this window and saving money for a title challenge next year?
I think there's next to no chance of 3rd or above and without serious reinforcements we will really struggle for 4th.

I can see the logic in this, even if we make 4th there is nothing to say we would definitely go up through the play offs. Only downside is that every year we stay in this league it will be harder to get up. Next season you could have Kelty up who will throw money at it, Queens Park, Airdrie, Montrose and possibly Dunfermline. If Rennie and Miller were to stay longer and said they didn’t want to waste cash just signing players for the sake of it in the difficult January window but have a real tilt at going for the title next season then I could buy into it. Nothing however to say we could definitely go up next season, it’s a difficult one either way.

One thing for certain though, without 3 or 4 quality additions this month we can forget the play offs as the current squad won’t make it no matter what Rennie and Miller do.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

1 hour ago, 1876 ffc said:

Does anyone else find Rennie massively uninspiring?

Well I for one don’t. The defence is as bad as ever, but at least there is an emerging style of play, and we are scoring goals (albeit not enough to overcome the goals that the defence seem happy to concede each and every week), but still, things have improved.

Who would you consider to be an inspiring coach after a month or so in charge?

23 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

I can see why you’d ask that but the answer has to be no. There’s 16 games to go and we are 3 points behind a struggling QP team. Cove have gained 12 points on us in the last 5 games. Any sort of run of victories and we should make the playoffs and let’s not pretend the teams we’d be facing are any good.

That been said they are currently better than us so this all depends on a good window. If we don’t sign at least 4 we’ve no chance. 

41 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

That is a double edged sword. If you don’t bother this window and just accept floating above the bottom two then the ST would drop next season, which would affect the budget. If, however, you sign players in this window that can help the team into next season and make decent strides, then the ST sales would likely be okay as most fans would be optimistic 

29 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Well I for one don’t. The defence is as bad as ever, but at least there is an emerging style of play, and we are scoring goals (albeit not enough to overcome the goals that the defence seem happy to concede each and every week), but still, things have improved.

I really do hope he turns it around, but I’m just not seeing anything that makes me think he’s got the strength of character or the experience to turn our fortunes around.

and I honestly hope I’m wrong.

This stuff about giving up on this season and preparing for a push for the title next season is complete nonsense.

You cannot just go into cruise control for half a season, that would lead to stagnation or even regression.

We must strive to improve and compete from NOW not August.

32 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

This. At the time I didn't think it was the right appointment and rather we'd gone after Murray, but Rennie comes across extremely well, as you say there is an obvious style of play and we're scoring.  Despite losing at the weekend, in a game we should have won, the players never chucked it at 2 nil, which for me is a big improvement. Just hoping that we can bring in some quality and build some momentum for an assault on the playoffs.

11 minutes ago, 1876 ffc said:

I really do hope he turns it around, but I’m just not seeing anything that makes me think he’s got the strength of character or the experience to turn our fortunes around.

and I honestly hope I’m wrong.

Have you read his CV? He’s literally improved every team he’s been at 🤦🏻‍♂️