The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Our bloody season will be well and truly over by then though FFS. Hardly worth bringing a player in at that late stage.

Agreed, however, if clubs won’t loan players until they’ve done their business, what else can we do.

10 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We'll know soon enough as the end of January draws ever closer.  As long as we get the players through the door that's all that counts.

It is. 

48 minutes ago, TedCrilly said:

Covid certainly isn’t helping either. Many premiership clubs are reluctant to let go of their youth players incase they are hit with cases within the first team squad. Tough window at the best of times and it’s likely we might not see movement until the last week. Also the fact we are in a truly awful position as a club and not the most desirable for a player / parent club.

Clubs will be looking to get fringe or nearly ready players are a club where they will improve.

That will not be a Falkirk then so for that reason don't look for any loan players of the quality we require.

3 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Cove have a plastic pitch. 

Yeah we do. Location and the relationship with Gordon Young who was youth academy coach at Motherwell when Mark was upcoming probably contributing factors to the signing.

Interesting to see how he gets on. We're going very experienced or could say old. Not many of the starting XI under 30.

19 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Who is? We have only signed one player. We all know we need better players as does the manager, he has admitted that, but so will other clubs. 
It is frustrating but positively we seem to be holding out nerve to get the players that will improve us not just jump at any old shite the agents throw our way 

Are we though? Thats purely speculation. I've seen nothing to suggest we are holding on for anything. It could be the polar opposite and we have absolutely nothing.

Reynolds would have been ideal to strengthen the defence yet he is away to Cove. 

Our reputation is that bad that we don't have the luxury of holding out for anything unless its a gamble from a lower league or a kid from the Premiership. Aboslutely soul destroying stuff.

46 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Then we've got the wrong person doing recruitment. How do you think managers win leagues? They do it by getting the right players in one way or another. That's how they are successful. The managers who don't don't last very long.

So, what are you advocating then, bribery?, intimidation?

The person doing the recruitment is Martin Rennie. I've liked what I've seen from him so far with regard to improving what we have and he's already stated that both he and Miller have built up some good contacts. I'm confident that they'll have been working hard to try to get players in but it's a very hard window to be able to sign players who, remember, must be better than we already have. Where Rennie may be lacking in that dept. is the probability that most of his contacts will be overseas and I would imagine that, in this Covid world, it will be extremely difficult to tempt decent players to the third tier of Scottish football from the USA or wherever.

Presumably you'll be of the opinion that, if Rennie and Miller can't attract the required players they should be sacked and a manager who can should be brought in? Who, apart from the aforementioned and excellent McCall, Campbell and McGlynn do you think we should and could, (see above) have as our next manager? Bear in mind of course that, in addition to attracting the right standard of player to L1, they should be able to coach and manage said players to winning the title. 

Just now, latapythelegend said:

Are we though? Thats purely speculation. I've seen nothing to suggest we are holding on for anything. It could be the polar opposite and we have absolutely nothing.

Reynolds would have been ideal to strengthen the defence yet he is away to Cove. 

Our reputation is that bad that we don't have the luxury of holding out for anything unless its a gamble from a lower league or a kid from the Premiership. Aboslutely soul destroying stuff.

Who knows. But I hope we have/are trying to get players in that improve the team. 
Our reputation, was the Deans regime reputation. It will have little to do with that IMO anyway, cash and the league we are in will be much more important. It is really frustrating, I hate to think what it is like if you are at the coal face doing it. 

5 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

So, what are you advocating then, bribery?, intimidation?

The person doing the recruitment is Martin Rennie. I've liked what I've seen from him so far with regard to improving what we have and he's already stated that both he and Miller have built up some good contacts. I'm confident that they'll have been working hard to try to get players in but it's a very hard window to be able to sign players who, remember, must be better than we already have. Where Rennie may be lacking in that dept. is the probability that most of his contacts will be overseas and I would imagine that, in this Covid world, it will be extremely difficult to tempt decent players to the third tier of Scottish football from the USA or wherever.

Presumably you'll be of the opinion that, if Rennie and Miller can't attract the required players they should be sacked and a manager who can should be brought in? Who, apart from the aforementioned and excellent McCall, Campbell and McGlynn do you think we should and could, (see above) have as our next manager? Bear in mind of course that, in addition to attracting the right standard of player to L1, they should be able to coach and manage said players to winning the title. 

We may as well just accept failure give up then aye?  Just totter along in mid table or lower in league one because how could we ever expect a club like Falkirk to be able to recruit players good enough to come fourth or above in league one?  You can have the best coach in the world but if he can't identify and persuade the right calibre of player to join your team then it won't matter a jot.  We've had manager after manager and a dof that couldn't get the right players in to give us a decent football team and until that changes we aren't going anywhere.  ACH well we tried doesn't really cut it. It's a results business and the manager will be measured on the players he brings in to get us the results we need to get into the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Who knows. But I hope we have/are trying to get players in that improve the team. 
Our reputation, was the Deans regime reputation. It will have little to do with that IMO anyway, cash and the league we are in will be much more important. It is really frustrating, I hate to think what it is like if you are at the coal face doing it. 

As posted earlier don’t envy Rennies role in attracting the correct players. Almost at the stage of accepting no players coming in, if it’s jersey fillers and mediocre shite that’s been put in front of us for so bloody long.

One thing for certain is that a large majority of shite accumulated, will be released in the summer, including those on longer deals,as failure to get promotion will cancel contracts.

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

As posted earlier don’t envy Rennies role in attracting the correct players. Almost at the stage of accepting no players coming in, if it’s jersey fillers and mediocre shite that’s been put in front of us for so bloody long.

One thing for certain is that a large majority of shite accumulated, will be released in the summer, including those on longer deals,as failure to get promotion will cancel contracts.

You bring in noone better than Mackay or hall and by the time you get to season ticket sales day your going to struggle to get any poor sod to part with their money. It's imperative the fans see us moving in the right direction between now and June. Scraping 3rd or 4th bottom won't sell season tickets.

I mean we should have circa 250k floating about to finance a few players so surely we can entice a few decent signings with that sort of cash.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Guest Caractacus Potts
2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We couldn't get the right players in under Holt so we sacked him. If we can't get the right players in with the new strategy then we are no better off. We need players. We need to get them by hook or by crook. Managers who get them in succeed those that don't get fired that's modern day football I'm afraid.

Agreed, recruitment is key. 

I’m happy to wait for the right signings, if they come, but the worry is now seeing the likes of Reynolds sign for Cove and  Gardyne to Montrose.

Did say Gardybe wasn’t someone I think we needed but if he’s also a player that can add a lot of quality to a squad. 

Still time to go yet but starting to get a little bit worried as there is little news coming our way. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You bring in noone better than Mackay or hall and by the time you get to season ticket sales day your going to struggle to get any poor sod to part with their money. It's imperative the fans see us moving in the right direction between now and June. Scraping 3rd or 4th bottom won't sell season tickets.

I don’t disagree and like every single fan we want to make the play offs, however I’m sickened to the pit of my stomach with the absolute mediocre shite we’ve suffered.

There’s still a bit of time so really hoping Rennie/Miller get lucky. I use the word lucky as I don’t know how you would sell the club to anyone.

22 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I don’t disagree and like every single fan we want to make the play offs, however I’m sickened to the pit of my stomach with the absolute mediocre shite we’ve suffered.

There’s still a bit of time so really hoping Rennie/Miller get lucky. I use the word lucky as I don’t know how you would sell the club to anyone.

There's a decent amount of cash in the pot and the new manager and bod should be selling their plans for the club to any player we're looking at.  If Arbroath had sat 3 or 4 years ago and though whose going to want to sign for us we're a part time team with gates of a few hundred in a ramshackle stadium which freezes your balls off and we've little chance of going further then they wouldn't now been top of the bloody championship.