The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Ecosse83
10 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Liam Craig an unused sub for St Johnstone at Tynecastle tonight. 

Darren Mcgregor's 36 and his Hibs contract runs until 2023 I think he'll be quite happy letting that run down. He's also an absolute haddy.

🤦‍♂️

It thoroughly depresses me that we are getting excited about signing a 35 yr old topping up his pension.

It was not that long ago we were held up as the shining example of developing youth players with a firm route into the first team. Playing Cup Finals & Semi-Finals with half the team made up of home grown players.

To all those that argued with me at the time and swallowed Lang & Campbell's spin that we could not afford an academy, I hope you are happy now.

Sorry I realize Craig will probably do a decent job for half a season, it's just me, It seems we had it all and we...sorry THEY....blew it.      

‘Can’t believe we are playing 3 at the back in league one’

Worked out okay for McCall in 2002/2003, one of my favourite Falkirk teams.

‘Getting excited about a 35 year old topping up his pension’

What age was Latapy when he joined us?

Things in isolation and out of context don’t really mean anything.

It’s not to say every 3 at the back will end up with us winning the second tier, or any mid thirties signing will end up like Latapy, but seems to be taking any possible scenario/solution and then going to the most reactionary comments possible.

3 at the back is fine if played in the right way.

Signing older players is fine if complemented by other younger players making up for their deficiencies elsewhere.

Naturally we would be complaining about having a poor back 4 and needing an extra body, or signing youngsters with a lack of experience and leadership.

3 minutes ago, Trump said:

It’s not to say every 3 at the back will end up with us winning the second tier, or any mid thirties signing will end up like Latapy, but seems to be taking any possible scenario/solution and then going to the most reactionary comments possible.

Signing older players is fine if complemented by other younger players making up for their deficiencies elsewhere.

Naturally we would be complaining about having a poor back 4 and needing an extra body, or signing youngsters with a lack of experience and leadership.

McCall's 3 at the back could all play football though. They could move into the midfield they could switch with others. Our 3 have enough problems working out which way they are pointing never mind anything else.  Instead of simply having two shite centrehalfs at the back we add one to give us 3 shite centrebacks at the back and then wonder why we are still leaking goals.  If we sign a decent centrehalf then I'd far rather we played that player and Dixon in a back 4 than teamed them up with hall or Mackay just so we can have a back bloody 3. 

Guest Ecosse83
17 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

McCall's 3 at the back could all play football though. They could move into the midfield they could switch with others. Our 3 have enough problems working out which way they are pointing never mind anything else.  Instead of simply having two shite centrehalfs at the back we add one to give us 3 shite centrebacks at the back and then wonder why we are still leaking goals.  If we sign a decent centrehalf then I'd far rather we played that player and Dixon in a back 4 than teamed them up with hall or Mackay just so we can have a back bloody 3. 

Any one is us could make an argument for shite players having to whatever the formation! 

We’re now creating chances so 352 has been much better in that respect. Most in here moaned for 2 up top and we now have that. Let’s give this a chance and see what happens.

My only concern is we shape our squad to play 352 and Rennie doesn’t stay behind the season! 

43 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

It thoroughly depresses me that we are getting excited about signing a 35 yr old topping up his pension.

It was not that long ago we were held up as the shining example of developing youth players with a firm route into the first team. Playing Cup Finals & Semi-Finals with half the team made up of home grown players.

To all those that argued with me at the time and swallowed Lang & Campbell's spin that we could not afford an academy, I hope you are happy now.

Sorry I realize Craig will probably do a decent job for half a season, it's just me, It seems we had it all and we...sorry THEY....blew it.      

Another one lost for Australian soccer 😄

It's a sad state of affairs with just over half a season gone that the league is not an option for us in the 3rd division.

I was always of the opinion that if you are full time in this league, you really should be 1st or 2nd, finishing 5th last season really should've seen heads rolling.

Hughes play football, you’ve got to be joking

7 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

Aye I can only really remember thinking how has the goalie let that in. ATS should've got rid of the original attack, however Martin letting another goal in at his near post cost us more imho. Guy just seems to let in the simplest of shots. 

His attempt at punching the ball away away for the second goal was powderpuff pathetic - think he got about 8 yds on it before it was smashed into the net . He caused that goal IMO or at least set it up ! He needs to go ! 

4 hours ago, Trump said:

As you should know Latapy was a one-off and in no way should be used to make a point about players in their mid thirties in general.

Regardless of his age, Liam Craig clearly has something to offer to Falkirk Football Club. If he feels he can still play at this level, I'm sure he can provide a decent set piece, composure and ability to compete for a a decent period of a 90 minute game. 

Out with the staring eleven, as @RandomGuy. has suggested, he's clearly good with the younger guys, and there is probably a key academy role available to make it worth his while, not only financially. I cannot see a negative with this signing, if it happens its most likely a win-win for both parties. 

I know he's been linked numerous times in the past, but this is probably the time out of them all where it suits both parties the most, and I genuinely hope it happens.

McCall's 3 at the back could all play football though.

I loved Yogi as a centre half. He was no nonsense and what we would give for someone like that now. I disagree that he was a ball playing centre half though.

As you should know Latapy was a one-off and in no way should be used to make a point about players in their mid thirties in general.

Darren Dods was 36 when he joined us.
Yogi returned when he was 38.

Both did a fine job despite their age.

1 hour ago, BottiBiabi said:

Regardless of his age, Liam Craig clearly has something to offer to Falkirk Football Club. If he feels he can still play at this level, I'm sure he can provide a decent set piece, composure and ability to compete for a a decent period of a 90 minute game. 

Out with the staring eleven, as @RandomGuy. has suggested, he's clearly good with the younger guys, and there is probably a key academy role available to make it worth his while, not only financially. I cannot see a negative with this signing, if it happens its most likely a win-win for both parties. 

I know he's been linked numerous times in the past, but this is probably the time out of them all where it suits both parties the most, and I genuinely hope it happens.

Our manager said last night he's not leaving.

Hughes played for both Celtic and Hibs two clubs that base their whole games on being able to play football. Yes he could mix it and could be no nonsense but he had far more ability than any of our 3 centre Half's we have just now. We then had players like Scott Mackenzie and Davie Nicholas playing beside him in that back 3 two players who had loads of football in their  locker. Compare that 3 to ATS, Mackay and bloody hall who can hardly kick their own arses never mind play a bit.

2 hours ago, Trump said:

I loved Yogi as a centre half. He was no nonsense and what we would give for someone like that now. I disagree that he was a ball playing centre half though.

Darren Dods was 36 when he joined us.
Yogi returned when he was 38.

Both did a fine job despite their age.

Mind Darren Dods running out his first game with us and thinking “Oh f**k”. He did turn is a good shift for us in the main though. 

3 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Mind Darren Dods running out his first game with us and thinking “Oh f**k”. He did turn is a good shift for us in the main though. 

He was excellent. An absolute machine in the air, and he well deserved his ovation as he was subbed off in his last game.

Gone down in the history books as the man who secured our World Record 4th Challenge Cup too.

44 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Not sure your manager will be there much longer mind you the way things are going.

I don't think changing managers would increase the chances of Craig leaving tbh, probably the opposite.