The Falkirk FC Thread

8 minutes ago, TedCrilly said:

Any footed but I’d prefer a natural commanding centre half in the middle rather than a converted full back. I just feel positionally a full back can be found wanting playing as a centre half and I’d prefer the middle of the three to be natural in that position. I’m evidently in the minority and wildly wrong, I accept that 😂

Anyway, more signings please.x

I agree we need a big powerful no nonsense CH in the middle who is an organiser and leader. 
someone like Darren McGregor at Hibs would suit me. Isn’t in the plans by the looks and fits that criteria for me. 

1 hour ago, TedCrilly said:

Zero hate for ATS as a player. I’ve probably (or definitely) came across harsh on him, which I hold my hands up for. I conceded in my initial post he probably isn’t fit either and is playing in a position fairly new to him. For me he hasn’t shown any qualities as a centre back. He was beaten in most aerial battles in the Dumbarton game and lost his man numerous times. Against Airdrie, his two key points in the game contributed to our defeat. He is a good LB/LWB but I just don’t see a back 3 of him + Dixon working. Both very similar and can do a job as LCB only. Again I hope I’m wildly wrong and it’s just my opinion which is why we’re all here. I’m not writing him off at all but I just feel he wasn’t desperately required.

I think that's fair, I would say if we were to pick positions at the start of the transfer market at where we need a player most it wouldn't have been a Left sided centre back. I personally think Dixon will go Left centre half and Taylor Sinclair will go to LWB, but we can only wait and see, I hope he comes good. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I agree we need a big powerful no nonsense CH in the middle who is an organiser and leader. 
someone like Darren McGregor at Hibs would suit me. Isn’t in the plans by the looks and fits that criteria for me. 

McGregor would be a good shout although probably still out with our budget. Played with Miller at Rangers too.

Guest Ecosse83

Slightly frustrating that we haven’t made anymore additions but it does seem to be a bit more of a measured approach and not the haphazard approach that we have had recently. Liam Craig would be a fantastic signing for us! 

2 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

McGregor would be a good shout although probably still out with our budget. Played with Miller at Rangers too.

He is 35, near the end of his contract so a loan to the summer surely could be possible 

2 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

In hindsight, losing Liam Craig 13/14 years ago was a massive loss when you see what he has went on to do at St Johnstone.  Would be delighted to see him back even if it was just to see out his playing days. 

Believe it was because Hughes did not think he would fit in to the passing game,

3 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Believe it was because Hughes did not think he would fit in to the passing game,

Do recall something like what you’ve said, primarily I thought it was because he wasn’t scared to question Hughes on the training pitch. You know what happened to players that did…..

1 hour ago, Rocco said:

Why do you see 3 at the back as being defensive? Conte got Chelsea to play it and it was so effective that even Pep tried to copy him. 

He went to 3 at the back because Chelsea were leaking goals playing 4 at the back  it's as simple as that. Lost three nil to arsenal playing 4 at the back moved to 3 and won 17 of his next 19 matches. The first thing most managers do if they are struggling defensively is move to 3 at the back to shore things up.  We shouldn't really need to be playing 3 at the back in league one though. Playing 3 centrehalfs is overkill in this division but a must because our defenders are that bad.

Does anyone know if the club have any affiliation with any credit card companies? I know a lot of clubs have these and the club benefits if used.  I need to get a card for a trip to Canada (hotels insist on a credit card when checking in) so was hoping I'd be able to get an FFC one!

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He went to 3 at the back because Chelsea were leaking goals playing 4 at the back  it's as simple as that. Lost three nil to arsenal playing 4 at the back moved to 3 and won 17 of his next 19 matches. The first thing most managers do if they are struggling defensively is move to 3 at the back to shore things up.  We shouldn't really need to be playing 3 at the back in league one though. Playing 3 centrehalfs is overkill in this division but a must because our defenders are that bad.

Love the 352 formation myself...don't care what we play as long as we win games

Always remember Ian McCall playing it and we romped the league

4 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

In hindsight, losing Liam Craig 13/14 years ago was a massive loss when you see what he has went on to do at St Johnstone.  Would be delighted to see him back even if it was just to see out his playing days. 

He struggled with our tippy tappy football at the time, he frustrated the life out of me not being able to pass 2,3-4 yards to a fellow player.

He has had a decent career at St Johnstone on two occasions, who says you should never go back ? (That's me cursed it for us 😄)

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Ludicrous that we're in such a state that we are having to play 3 at the back in league one anyway. And that even doing so our defence is still a bloody shambles.

I'd understand if we were playing 5 at the back with the above, we clearly aren't. 

We have scored 9 goals in three games, it took us 11 games previously to score 9.

We shouldn't need 4 defenders and a sitting mid in league 3 for me, most teams pack the defence and midfield against us

2 hours ago, TedCrilly said:

Any footed but I’d prefer a natural commanding centre half in the middle rather than a converted full back. I just feel positionally a full back can be found wanting playing as a centre half and I’d prefer the middle of the three to be natural in that position. I’m evidently in the minority and wildly wrong, I accept that 😂

Anyway, more signings please.x

We are in league three, I'd expect any of our non defenders in our squad to do better than McKay tbh.

I remember seeing Scott McKenzie start in the centre of a back 3 in his return and I thought WTF. He was superb there.

4 minutes ago, MrDust said:

He struggled with our tippy tappy football at the time, he frustrated the life out of me not being able to pass 2,3-4 yards to a fellow player.

He has had a decent career at St Johnstone on two occasions, who says you should never go back ? (That's me cursed it for us 😄)

I'd understand if we were playing 5 at the back with the above, we clearly aren't. 

We have scored 9 goals in three games, it took us 11 games previously to score 9.

We shouldn't need 4 defenders and a sitting mid in league 3 for me, most teams pack the defence and midfield against us

We are in league three, I'd expect any of our non defenders in our squad to do better than McKay tbh.

I remember seeing Scott McKenzie start in the centre of a back 3 in his return and I thought WTF. He was superb there.

Davie Nich was excellent at the back too.