The Falkirk FC Thread

19 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Ivo den bieman is the classic example. Made Kevin Christie play like baresi . We need two or 3 players that will get the sleeves rolled up and won't allow others standards to drop. At the moment there's noone on the park the players can look up to and who they'd fight to the bloody end for.

Good example and they all had the same thing in common. They demanded the best from themselves on the park and expected the same from their team mates and were not shy in telling them when they judged they were falling short.

Remember Burgess bawling out Roddy Manley when he switch off at a corner. Did not lose a goal but thought he was going chin him he was that angry. The absence of that attitude on the park has contributed to the situation we are in.

Just can't see Falkirk attracting that type of player at this time.

6 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The thing is, even if we bring in enough to miraculously get us into the play offs, that isn’t an end in itself.

The odds today against us finishing 4th is probably 10/1.

The odds against us overcoming Airdrie and Montrose and then the 9th placed Championship side is probably another 10/1 shot.

I think this is why it’s all about building for next season. I’d like to see us recruiting players that we know will be strong at this level and if Rennie can get the defence sorted then we may have what looks like a team who will be challenging for the title next season. If Rennie does well then I’d say we need to keep hold of him as a new manager in the summer isn’t why we need. 

10 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The thing is, even if we bring in enough to miraculously get us into the play offs, that isn’t an end in itself.

The odds against us overcoming Airdrie and Montrose and then the 9th placed Championship side is probably another 10/1 shot.

We weren't far off Airdrie mind you on Saturday. It wasn't as if they were streets ahead.  3 or 4 decent players and you could be turning results like that around. At the end of the day   It doesn't matter if you come 20 points behind the team in 2nd  as the playoffs are a clean slate. If you are taking form into them though it makes a big difference. Whoever comes second bottom of the champ will be in poor form and low in confidence that's why they ended up there.  We make 4th place on a wee run of form and you've got as good a chance as any of the 4 playoff sides.

We'd play the second bottom side first let's not forget and then the winner of 2nd v 3rd. It's not the top flight playoffs.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

37 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Perhaps not.

On the League 1 Predictions thread 10 Falkirk fans put in their predictions for the game; 6 went for a Falkirk win, 2 went for a draw and 2 (including yours truly) went for an Airdrie win. I think some got carried away after the Dumbarton result right enough. If there are no decent signings this week I can't see us doing any better than a draw at East Fife on Saturday.

We will beat East Fife on Saturday.

We are now creating chances, against Dumbarton we scored 6 and could have had 10, against Airdrie we scored 2 and could have had 5.

Even allowing for our honking defence we will out score East Fife.

A long, long way to go but we are definitely more competitive than we were under Sheerin.

Fourth place is very much achievable and we should be going all out to make the playoffs.

Giving up on half a season is silly talk.

Glad to see the back of McDaid and was curious with a Twitter comment which lamented on his lack of opportunity. Very odd, as he was on the pitch yet more action came from the corner flags waving on a windy day.

Hoping for a good week of signings and then maybe on "Friday I'm In Love!"

P.S - we will not lose to East Fife. We will win 1-0 thanks to an own goal in the 9th minute of injury time :P

22 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Yep Queens Park have won one game in 10 and it was against us, don't see it as a miracle to finish 4th for me

15 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Good example and they all had the same thing in common. They demanded the best from themselves on the park and expected the same from their team mates and were not shy in telling them when they judged they were falling short.

Remember Burgess bawling out Roddy Manley when he switch off at a corner. Did not lose a goal but thought he was going chin him he was that angry. The absence of that attitude on the park has contributed to the situation we are in.

Just can't see Falkirk attracting that type of player at this time.

Burgess was a liability, decent on the ball and in the air but run at him and he was as slow as Purdie. The opener at Hearts when got destroyed Burgess said that will never happen again, it did and again and again.

Purdie at least positioned himself for the lack of pace. If we continue with three at the back we need one who is comfortable on the ball, mobile and positioning in the centre

Still 48 points to play for this season with 16 games left so the playoffs aren't yet unrealistic but by god we need a few decent signings this window. Hopefully we see some this week as we need to start winning games and can't afford to be leaking 2+ every game. 

New
Williamson New Dixon ATS Mccann
Telfer New
Nesbitt/Morrison
Dowds New

Edited by FFC 1876

12 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Still 48 points to play for this season with 16 games left so the playoffs aren't yet unrealistic but by god we need a few decent signings this window. Hopefully we see some this week as we need to start winning games and can't afford to be leaking 2+ every game. 

New
Williamson New Dixon ATS Mccann
Telfer New
Nesbitt/Morrison
Dowds New

Good post & would totally agree that the four key positions in the spine should be achievable - let’s believe 👍

Dixon is the kind of defender we look to have been missing for playing 3 CB.  One who actually has an awareness of the rest of the team and will try cover for others mistakes.  Sounded like he'd be pretty much available as soon as the cast comes off, so hopefully that will help!

27 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Yep Queens Park have won one game in 10 and it was against us, don't see it as a miracle to finish 4th for me

Burgess was a liability, decent on the ball and in the air but run at him and he was as slow as Purdie. The opener at Hearts when got destroyed Burgess said that will never happen again, it did and again and again.

Purdie at least positioned himself for the lack of pace. If we continue with three at the back we need one who is comfortable on the ball, mobile and positioning in the centre

I always felt that Burgess and Manley were quite a well matched pairing mind you. Manley had the pace good on the ground a more elegant player whilst Burgess was the no nonsense dirty physical slow good in the air type. They compensated for each other quite well.

43 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Burgess was a liability ?? I totally disagree with that.

I thought he was an absolute winner who would have ran through a wall for Falkirk in every one of his 100+ appearances.

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Would be a serious worry if our new recruitment set up can't get the necessary players in either.  Another 4 months of watching Brad Mackay and hall and you'll be lucky if you sell any season tickets come June.

Yeh it’s a bit of a quandary but point was really if there is no one better than McKay currently available then by Christ we don’t want to bring in another like him just for the sake of it. 

2 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Yeh it’s a bit of a quandary but point was really if there is no one better than McKay currently available then by Christ we don’t want to bring in another like him just for the sake of it. 

If we can't get better than him in we may aswell pack the game in now surely.

1 minute ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Agree, we’ve suffered shite replacing shite for so long now. Another shite signing would end me 

Guest Caractacus Potts

Here’s a thing I just remembered. What happened to the Full time Head of Scouting and Recruitment that we were supposed to have appointed in June? There is no one listed on the website as being in command of this role. 

Also what of the re-established scouting network for Scotland?

Are these just another 2 examples of the Rawlins and the old board’s mistruths(as thought at the time)? 

If not then what the heck have they been doing for 7 months? 

D8517FAE-728E-4C4A-BA86-F7A6F07A57EE.png

7 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Here’s a thing I just remembered. What happened to the Full time Head of Scouting and Recruitment that we were supposed to have appointed in June? There is no one listed on the website as being in command of this role. 

Are these just another 2 examples of the Rawlins and the old board’s mistruths(as thought at the time)? 

Corzo?

3 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Take a step back and look at what this reads, for me half of these actions/appointments far exceeds what is urgently required (ie get us out this league) absolute nonsense for a club in our predicament.

17 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Previous Board