The Falkirk FC Thread

Griffiths would never come to us, but I would take him, I think our fans want choirboys in their team. If a 36 year old Russell Latapy was available today, we’d have threads out how he was done, he smokes,  drinks and picks up young women in clubs. 

We are in the middle of the third tier of Scottish football, we need to roll the dice. Griffiths might not have the work rate to help Dundee and they’ll be unable and unwilling to use him as a luxury player and let him do want he wants -  If teams focus on what he can do rather than what he cannot - he’d still score a lot of goals. Unfortunately he’ll never sign for us. 

Remember every star shines it brightest before it goes out.

Guest Caractacus Potts
13 minutes ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Remember every star shines it brightest before it goes out.

Like Garry O’Connor at Morton at 31 years old, Riordan at Alloa at 31, Stokes at God knows what team he was playing at 31(still only 33 and hasn’t kicked a ball in 2 years)?

Griffiths is no Latapy. Wee Russell may have enjoyed his social life and wasn’t always the most professional off the field but he had brains and far more talent than Griffiths. 

It’s not to say Griffiths couldn’t do well at a club like us but his attitude coupled with his off field antics would make him not worth the money for me. In any case he’ll still be wanted by teams in the Premiership so there is little chance of him coming to us. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

Guest Caractacus Potts
6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Was that no Derek Riordan ?

It was. We only played against Hibs once when Griffiths was there and that was in the Scottish Cup Semi. 

Why are there posters on here seriously discussing the possibility of Leigh Griffiths joining us?
Even worse, writing him off completely as not being up to a job in the third tier, not good enough for a club that boasts talent such as Brad McKay and Ben Hall…..
What next on here? [emoji1787]

Guest Caractacus Potts
17 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Why are there posters on here seriously discussing the possibility of Leigh Griffiths joining us?
Even worse, writing him off completely as not being up to a job in the third tier, not good enough for a club that boasts talent such as Brad McKay and Ben Hall…..
What next on here? emoji1787.png

I know it won’t happen. Although he undoubtedly has the ability to be great he has too much baggage and in my opinion is another of the examples I listed above. Done at 31. Can add Ross McCormack to that list. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

Conceding two goals less per game versus scoring two goals more per game would tend not to change outcomes too much. The biggest gain seems to be from scoring one more and conceding one less in every game that brings us the biggest benefits which is probably why Rennie is seeking to improve both areas.

Dowds and Morrison is very much a work in progress (with Morrison needing major help to turn him into a decent finisher), but it might come good.

The defence………well I think it’s pretty obvious that the only way to concede a goal less in every game won’t come from coaching. 

I'd be starting to plan for another season in League 1 if I were the board. Avoiding a relegation okay off should be our main priority at the moment.

If there's a chance of us going part time they'd better be scouring the leagues for players now or else no c4nt will come to us

5 minutes ago, ChrispPancake said:

I'd be starting to plan for another season in League 1 if I were the board. Avoiding a relegation okay off should be our main priority at the moment.

If there's a chance of us going part time they'd better be scouring the leagues for players now or else no c4nt will come to us

The statement said we’d need to go up this season or next otherwise we wouldn’t remain full time. I’m assuming any player they sign in this window will be looking into next season as well

Guest Caractacus Potts
10 minutes ago, ChrispPancake said:

I agree. If we can’t bring in anyone better than what we’ve got then save the money for the Summer where it will be needed most. Automatic promotion is gone so there’s a fair chance we’ll be in this league next season. 

1 hour ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Many if not most acknowledged that we would be doing well to come away with a positive result.

Perhaps not.

On the League 1 Predictions thread 10 Falkirk fans put in their predictions for the game; 6 went for a Falkirk win, 2 went for a draw and 2 (including yours truly) went for an Airdrie win. I think some got carried away after the Dumbarton result right enough. If there are no decent signings this week I can't see us doing any better than a draw at East Fife on Saturday.

3 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Perhaps not.

On the League 1 Predictions thread 10 Falkirk fans put in their predictions for the game; 6 went for a Falkirk win, 2 went for a draw and 2 (including yours truly) went for an Airdrie win. I think some got carried away after the Dumbarton result right enough. If there are no decent signings this week I can't see us doing any better than a draw at East Fife on Saturday.

I’m not being funny but Dumbarton just beat them after getting pumped off us. Even if we don’t have any new faces I’d expect us to get the win on Saturday*

*I know this will come back to bite me!

17 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I agree. If we can’t bring in anyone better than what we’ve got then save the money for the Summer where it will be needed most. Automatic promotion is gone so there’s a fair chance we’ll be in this league next season. 

Would be a serious worry if our new recruitment set up can't get the necessary players in either.  Another 4 months of watching Brad Mackay and hall and you'll be lucky if you sell any season tickets come June.

8 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Would be a serious worry if our new recruitment set up can't get the necessary players in either.  Another 4 months of watching Brad Mackay and hall and you'll be lucky if you sell any season tickets come June.

You’ve hit the nail on the head. If we don’t make reasonable strides before the end of the season then season tickets will drop drastically, which could then make our budget lower for next season. We should be looking to improve where we can this window so that we’re not trying to replace a full squad in the summer again

The thing is, even if we bring in enough to miraculously get us into the play offs, that isn’t an end in itself.

The odds today against us finishing 4th is probably 10/1.

The odds against us overcoming Airdrie and Montrose and then the 9th placed Championship side is probably another 10/1 shot.