The Falkirk FC Thread

7 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Mcglynn was working on a third of the budget we were but still managed to produce a side capable of winning the league. 

The last few managers to win this league have been

McCall

Campbell

Mcglynn

McCall

And it looks like Hartley. Managers steeped in contacts and experience of the Scottish game. It gives you more than an inkling  of what type of manager you should be going for if you want promotion.  

One of them given the league 

Guest Caractacus Potts

Just got round to watching the Rennie interview. Didn’t actually think he was making too many excuses with the referee. Just letting his frustrations known, which I can understand, but in no way was he ignoring the problems. Unfortunately though I just don’t see what you can do on the training ground to stop a defender from just deciding not to pick up an unmarked player. If they can’t understand the principles of basic defending then they never will. The only way to stop those errors is to replace them! 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

14 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Mcglynn was working on a third of the budget we were but still managed to produce a side capable of winning the league. 

McCall

Campbell

Mcglynn

McCall

And it looks like Hartley. Managers steeped in contacts and experience of the Scottish game. It gives you more than an inkling  of what type of manager you should be going for if you want promotion.  

Is the point you're trying to make is that we shouldnt have appointed Rennie?

Personally I would have went all in on Ian Murray, knows the league, doing a good job at airdrie and we could have signed him up to a longer contract to allow him to start planning for next season.

But we have Rennie for the remainder of this season, who I think comes across as a thoroughly decent guy, and who will try his best to get us into the playoffs. Based on the chances missed we should have won yesterday, and the fact we didnt just chuck it at 2 nil or three one shows there has been a positive change despite the result. The signings he makes will determine where we finish up. Will he be here next season? Honestly cant see it as why would his family uproot from NA to Falkirk?

5 minutes ago, champions said:

Is the point you're trying to make is that we shouldnt have appointed Rennie?

Personally I would have went all in on Ian Murray, knows the league, doing a good job at airdrie and we could have signed him up to a longer contract to allow him to start planning for next season.

But we have Rennie for the remainder of this season, who I think comes across as a thoroughly decent guy, and who will try his best to get us into the playoffs. Based on the chances missed we should have won yesterday, and the fact we didnt just chuck it at 2 nil or three one shows there has been a positive change despite the result. The signings he makes will determine where we finish up. Will he be here next season? Honestly cant see it as why would his family uproot from NA to Falkirk?

Only time will tell whether Rennie is the right man or not. As I said I have my concerns regarding his status and exposure in Scottish football and that then leading to his ability to get the quality of players in the door that we so badly need at the moment. I'd like to think that a priority in the managerial  recruitment process would've been a candidate's contacts and links to other clubs and managers in Scotland as it's pretty obvious to anyone that that's the area where our biggest problems have lain over the past few years. The proof will be in the pudding as they say.

28 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Shadwell’s went full Hugh Keevins - you never go full Hugh Keevins.

He’ll be wanting Tommy McLean or Alex Miller appointed next. 

No but it does give you a huge clue as to what managers are successful in this league.  Not rookies like we have been pissing about with over the past few seasons. Made worse by having a dof who also had little stature and it would appear contacts in the Scottish game.  Who knows whether Rennie will be the man. Time will tell.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

It's actually frightening to think we're actually debating on here whether we think we'll be able to sign players good enough to get us into 4th place in league one. Not win league one or come second or even third but fourth.  Crazy situation we find ourselves in.

2 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Yeh I do agree with that. They don’t look to be getting much change out of our current crop of players so they have to be working their socks off to bring in good quality as ultimately they’ll be judged on results like any other manager, no matter the excuses. 

With that quality has to come leaders that talk and inspire that will make the players round about them better.

3 come to mind Hughes when he went to center back, Burgess and Baptie there was in instant improvement in those around them.

Goodness knows where they are and if they would come.

24 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

With that quality has to come leaders that talk and inspire that will make the players round about them better.

3 come to mind Hughes when he went to center back, Burgess and Baptie there was in instant improvement in those around them.

Goodness knows where they are and if they would come.

Ivo den bieman is the classic example. Made Kevin Christie play like baresi . We need two or 3 players that will get the sleeves rolled up and won't allow others standards to drop. At the moment there's noone on the park the players can look up to and who they'd fight to the bloody end for.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's actually frightening to think we're actually debating on here whether we think we'll be able to sign players good enough to get us into 4th place in league one. Not win league one or come second or even third but fourth.  Crazy situation we find ourselves in.

Yet we are not as bad Raith were 😂😂

We simply have to get two better central defenders plus a keeper in this week minimum, centre forward that can take half chances aswell. That game yesterday was there for the taking although we weren't great, we could and probably should have left with a point. I get Rennie's point about the officials the standard in this league is bloody awful but it really shouldn't detract from us being a complete gang.

Guest Caractacus Potts
7 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It really is. As I pointed out earlier too we now will have less points than after 22 games last year and conceded 7 more goals. Considering how disastrous a season that was, it’s some effort! 

Rennie and Miller definitely aren’t to blame for that but have a huge job on their hands. 

23 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Yet we are not as bad Raith were 😂😂

Raith had one massive advantage and that's mcglynn. Without him they would be nowhere near fighting it out for the championship title now given their resources in comparison to others.  Can Rennie do what mcglynns done we'll soon find out.

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Raith had one massive advantage and that's mcglynn. Without him they would be nowhere near fighting it out for the championship title now given their resources in comparison to others.  Can Rennie do what mcglynns done we'll soon find out.

McGlynn was in his mid 40’s, a similar age to Rennie, when he got his first managers role at a senior Scottish club in Raith. He took 3 attempts to get Raith promoted from the same league we are in now. I’m not having a dig at McGlynn but he’s improved over time and isn’t the coaching God you are making him out to be.

Rennie’s been in the door 5 mins after reasonable success in the USA and Korea. Give him a break and stop banging on about McGlynn ffs. 

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

McCall

Campbell

Mcglynn

McCall

A third you say! My goodness, your contacts really are shit hot Shadwell. Not only do you know what our budget was but you also know that Raith's was just a third of it. Some guy right enough.

You would almost think that such capable managers who are steeped in contacts and experience should be managing at a far higher level? Amazing!

I just wish that our BOD were in tune to the extent that they could appoint someone like that instead of some American-Korean bloke who doesn't have any contacts or experience. Maybe someday.

17 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

A third you say! My goodness, your contacts really are shit hot Shadwell. Not only do you know what our budget was but you also know that Raith's was just a third of it. Some guy right enough.

You would almost think that such capable managers who are steeped in contacts and experience should be managing at a far higher level? Amazing!

I just wish that our BOD were in tune to the extent that they could appoint someone like that instead of some American-Korean bloke who doesn't have any contacts or experience. Maybe someday.

Might be a bit less than a third to be honest it was  easy enough to check the accuracy of what I'd been told via published accounts  but the players were certainly  on peanuts and the club  was struggling badly financially thus the requirement to start bringing in part time players to fill their squad.  Something we're getting closer and closer to having to do after one poor managerial appointment after another.  If he hadn't got Raith promoted I reckon they'd be fully part time now. Mcglynns now 60. He's managed at top level and is now at a club that is centred round him just like Campbell at Arbroath. I'm not sure he's interested in taking on the pressures of a job at a higher level. He's doing a fantastic job at Raith where he is well appreciated for it.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

34 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

McGlynn was in his mid 40’s, a similar age to Rennie, when he got his first managers role at a senior Scottish club in Raith. He took 3 attempts to get Raith promoted from the same league we are in now. I’m not having a dig at McGlynn but he’s improved over time and isn’t the coaching God you are making him out to be.

Rennie’s been in the door 5 mins after reasonable success in the USA and Korea. Give him a break and stop banging on about McGlynn ffs. 

I'm giving him a chance alright. He's done ok with the players at his disposal but has now hit the point where only bringing in better players will improve us further.  We'll find out over the next few weeks whether he's up to the job of doing that or not. Fingers crossed he is.

I’m pretty confident that Rennie will know where we need to improve however bringing in a new spine of quality to a really poor team is almost impossible during the January window. Let’s hope he gets at least some of his targets and at least it’s not Gary Holt identifying them.
I am resigned to another season in this league which will have Airdrie, Montrose, a likely improved QP, a flying Kelty and another relegated side next season. Season on season we look more and more like a mid-table League 1 team - it’s really grim.

The back to back appointments of Paul Hartley and Ray McKinnon look more damaging week on week. 

6 years ago tomorrow I watched us draw 1-1 with Hibs in front on over 7000 fans. We went on to finish 2nd, above Hibs and lose in the play off final.
I can’t believe how far we have fallen in 6 years. It’s been brutal.
10 years ago we drew away from home against Celtic