The Falkirk FC Thread

48 minutes ago, champions said:

What's your actual point here?

That the BoD should have appointed a manager that knows the league?

9 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I think Shads has already made his judgement on Rennie and Miller I’m afraid !!

Only time will tell when we see the standard of player coming in the door.  They've done ok with what they have so far and have improved certain areas but other areas simply need better players . Not sure what the ATS signing was for really. Doesn't appear to be any better than our recent standards . We bit concerned that players haven't been brought in yet but hopefully they will be worth the wait. We simply cannot have more of the same dross getting funnelled in that we've had for year on year . The ability to get decent  players through the door should've been the number one priority when we were interviewing for Sheerins replacement. As has been said on here recruitment is absolutely everything in the modern game so let's see who comes in the door this week .

Guest Caractacus Potts
15 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Do you think the likes of mccall or Jeffries would be struggling to get anybody in the door by this stage?  If they can't get players over the line then they are the wrong guys for the job.  The real successful managers get players in . They make players want to play with them sometimes over better offers elsewhere.  The longer we go without players in the door the more points disappearing over the horizon. 

If you’re talking about their time with us then Jeffries was still bringing players in well in to the season.

McCall had the benefit of Airdrie and Clydebank going bust and being able to bring in a load of players from there whom he had managed already as well as some old team mates who were still playing. 

I get your concern with the lack of activity but January is a crap time to bring in players so they will be struggling to find decent players we can afford. 

We can judge them better at the end of the month but would rather they take time to bring in what’s needed rather than anyone who’s available. 

4 minutes ago, Rocco said:

I can’t remember Raith issuing anything like the Q&A that we did or have anywhere near the turnover of players. You are basing your facts on the performance of the club in the league. What we have managed to do is tarnish our reputation in both football performance and as a business 

Jesus wept the Raith chairman was just as big a tool as deans FFS. Raith were a complete laughing stock after Hughes period. Feck me playing forwards in goals and writing off players in public . That and they didn't have two pennies to rub together yet mcglynn persuaded the players to come and he's still doing it.  Players are far more interested in whose managing and looking after them every day. If your manager is well respected throughout the game then players will come no matter whose in the bloody board room.

11 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

But Raith signed players like Hendry and gullen when they were stuck in league one. Partick  signed tiffoney when they were mid table in league one. So I don't see what your fucking point is. If they can do it in league one then why the hell do we find it so bloody difficult despite having far more resources?

Tiffoney is far too good for league one anyone knows that. He's a half decent championship player not good enough for the top flight.  Never mind we signed a 17 year old from Dundee United who was nowhere near ready.

Partick won the league simply due to a fit again Rudden and Tiffoney being a superb league one player not so sure league up, without one of that two, I reckon they might have been a different team on the championship that season, showing that one or two players can make a huge difference.

Remind us who signed the 17yr old from Dundee United this season 😄

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

It's all very good and well having Morrison upfront to pull defenders all over the place but if he's not composed enough to put simple chances away he shouldn't be playing  there. We need quality in and that's going to be very hard to get in January. 

Zero link play from Morrison to Dowds also, it's all very kick n rush from him up top, Dowds had another decent game yesterday too.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Do you think Raith were an attractive club ? Stuck in league one for a number of years recovering from the mess Hughes had left the club in a season or so before?  No cash yet mcglynn still got the players in to win them the league through his contacts and the fact players want to play for him.  Raith were in no more of an attractive position than we are in so I'm not getting your point at all I'm afraid.

Remind me of Raith falling out the play offs playing 4-5-1 defensive turgidness requiring only one point. A Holt/Sheerin signing quality like Wilson, McKay, Omperon, Hetherington etc, a Q&A that made us a laughing stock throughout the country, staff exit door on revolve, player exit door on revolve, getting pumped 6-0 of a team that has won one game in 10, new manager bounce so far has been one win in three(not blaming him at all) that is one win in 7 currently

I can't recall Raith having any of the above tbh, drink drugs are the only thing that can make you think we are on par of where Raith were.

Just now, Caractacus Potts said:

If you’re talking about their time with us then Jeffries was still bringing players in well in to the season.

McCall had the benefit of Airdrie and Clydebank going bust and being able to bring in a load of players from there whom he had managed already as well as some old team mates who were still playing. 

I get your concern with the lack of activity but January is a crap time to bring in players so they will be struggling to find decent players we can afford. 

We can judge them better at the end of the month but would rather they take time to bring in what’s needed rather than anyone who’s available. 

Of course I'm not saying sack them now. My concern is that we seem to have ready made excuses on hand for the recruitment being rotten.  It's a hard time of year, the clubs got a bad reputation and all that shite. Good managers get through all that and get the players in they need by hook or by crook.  We should not be accepting another window of shite it's as simple as that.

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Jesus wept the Raith chairman was just as big a tool as deans FFS. Raith were a complete laughing stock after Hughes period. Feck me playing forwards in goals and writing off players in public . That and they didn't have two pennies to rub together yet mcglynn persuaded the players to come and he's still doing it.  Players are far more interested in whose managing and looking after them every day. If your manager is well respected throughout the game then players will come no matter whose in the bloody board room.

So back to what I said last night. What manager could we have got that is well respected enough to get these players to come?

I can only assume you don’t believe Rennie can do this

3 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Partick won the league simply due to a fit again Rudden and Tiffoney being a superb league one player not so sure league up, without one of that two, I reckon they might have been a different team on the championship that season, showing that one or two players can make a huge difference.

Remind us who signed the 17yr old from Dundee United this season 😄

Zero link play from Morrison to Dowds also, it's all very kick n rush from him up top, Dowds had another decent game yesterday too.

Remind me of Raith falling out the play offs playing 4-5-1 defensive turgidness requiring only one point. A Holt/Sheerin signing quality like Wilson, McKay, Omperon, Hetherington etc, a Q&A that made us a laughing stock throughout the country, staff exit door on revolve, player exit door on revolve, getting pumped 6-0 of a team that has won one game in 10, new manager bounce so far has been one win in three(not blaming him at all) that is one win in 7 currently

I can't recall Raith having any of the above tbh, drink drugs are the only thing that can make you think we are on par of where Raith were.

Our situation is exactly why we need a manager that can cut through all the shite that's gone on and has the respect, contacts  and status to get the necessary players in the door to get results. A manager that players think well if he's taking the job then I'm happy to sign for them as I want to play for him.  Managers like McCall and mcglynn do that. Players have faith in them that if they are there then it must be the right place to be.  Rennie may be that man who knows. We'll find out over the next few weeks.

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Of course I'm not saying sack them now. My concern is that we seem to have ready made excuses on hand for the recruitment being rotten.  It's a hard time of year, the clubs got a bad reputation and all that shite. Good managers get through all that and get the players in they need by hook or by crook.  We should not be accepting another window of shite it's as simple as that.

Nobodies making excuses. We are highlighting the reasons why it isn’t as simple to bring in “quality” players as you like to make it out to be

2 minutes ago, Rocco said:

So back to what I said last night. What manager could we have got that is well respected enough to get these players to come?

I can only assume you don’t believe Rennie can do this

I have my concerns simply by his lack of exposure over here  but who knows we'll find out soon enough. I'd like to have seen movement a bit quicker but if the players are the right quality then waiting a bit longer is fine. We can't afford more of the same garbage we've brought in over the past few years that's for sure. Recruitment must turn the corner now or we'll be stuck in this league for a long time to come.

3 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Nobodies making excuses. We are highlighting the reasons why it isn’t as simple to bring in “quality” players as you like to make it out to be

And I'm telling you that the successful managers find a way.  That's why they are successful. They use every contact and every ounce of persuasion to get players to play for them no matter the situation they find themselves in. The season we were fighting it out at the top with Raith they signed Steven mclean who was excellent whilst we brought in Josh Todd and bloody da vita and it cost us the bloody league.  Last season partick brought in tiffoney and we brought in 3 kids and again we went nowhere. It needs to change and ok some of us are impatient but after the last few januaries of bringing in crap we're desperate to see some decent signings for a change and are understandably nervous that it's going to be more of the same crap. Hopefully this week we will finally find out.

23 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Nothing wrong with Rennie's interview imo.  He's clearly not going to slag players off until we have replacements in and the referee chat is trying to create a bit of a 'them against us' siege mentality to get more out of the players that are here.  He also confirmed he's looking to sort out the spine of the team with hopefully some in next week.  Not sure what folk expect him to be saying?  

Some of our fans would want to hear "We are gonna win the league and I've got 14 players coming in on Monday"

12 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Raith's embarrassments was only for the eyes and ears of lower league football fans generally from forums and small columns in the papers, ours was back pages,radio(talksport which is generally all English based) internet and TV.

If you were to do a poll asking which club is the laughing stock of Scottish League football at anytime post our Q&A till probably now and we would win it hands down.

We all get our flash in the pan moments of dropping out the play offs last season, getting pumped 6-0 of Queens park etc but that Q&A has put us on a level that other clubs aspiring to reach a new low can only dream of.

Guest Caractacus Potts
23 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yeh I do agree with that. They don’t look to be getting much change out of our current crop of players so they have to be working their socks off to bring in good quality as ultimately they’ll be judged on results like any other manager, no matter the excuses. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

17 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Some of our fans would want to hear "We are gonna win the league and I've got 14 players coming in on Monday"

Raith's embarrassments was only for the eyes and ears of lower league football fans generally from forums and small columns in the papers, ours was back pages,radio(talksport which is generally all English based) internet and TV.

If you were to do a poll asking which club is the laughing stock of Scottish League football at anytime post our Q&A till probably now and we would win it hands down.

We all get our flash in the pan moments of dropping out the play offs last season, getting pumped 6-0 of Queens park etc but that Q&A has put us on a level that other clubs aspiring to reach a new low can only dream of.

Again why you need a manager in post that restores that confidence and has the status in the Scottish game that supercedes the previous issues at the club. I'm just not sure Rennie has the contacts and status in Scottish football to make players come to Falkirk. Time will tell.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Do you think Raith were an attractive club ? Stuck in league one for a number of years recovering from the mess Hughes had left the club in a season or so before?  No cash yet mcglynn still got the players in to win them the league through his contacts and the fact players want to play for him.  Raith were in no more of an attractive position than we are in so I'm not getting your point at all I'm afraid.

Raith were shite the year they went up. So were we but, if it hadn't been for Covid, I think that we would have overtaken them. They've improved since though.

Guest Caractacus Potts
7 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Raith were shite the year they went up. So were we but, if it hadn't been for Covid, I think that we would have overtaken them. They've improved since though.

I actually didn’t think we would have overtaken them. I thought our frailties were starting to show again and I think had the season played out we would have fallen further away. Lots of ifs and maybes but I seen enough to not want M and M’s contract to be renewed as it was. 

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

So far we’ve had Fox, Lafferty and Reynolds confirmed on here - where are they ??

Fox seems realistic to me as he hasn’t played for Motherwell this season but I suspect they’d want to get a replacement in to sit on the bench first (unless they’re going to go with PJ Morrison).

The last six games have seen that gang concede 18 goals……in L1. 

Think this is where they have to draw the line, forget about playoffs & concentrate on not shipping goals.
Making sure they're tight at the back, takes pressure off the forwards HAVING to score more than once just to maybe pick up a point.
Perhaps condensing the play, in your own half, then hitting on the break is where they should be at right now. It might just result in a few more W's appearing of a Sat night. As conceding 3 a game is relegation dogfight stuff for a KO.

35 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Mcglynn was working on a third of the budget we were but still managed to produce a side capable of winning the league. 

The last few managers to win this league have been

McCall

Campbell

Mcglynn

McCall

And it looks like Hartley. Managers steeped in contacts and experience of the Scottish game. It gives you more than an inkling  of what type of manager you should be going for if you want promotion.  

Edited by Shadwell Dog