The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

McCall had no problem getting the quality in to win the league when he was down here.

He signed half the Rangers reserve team on loan and sent them back January, McKenna from Hamilton, previous Partick hero players in their 30s who rarely played from non league and Tiffoney on loan the final loan.

They basically had signed players that they were relegated with was their key. A fit Rudden and on fire and Tiffoney showing that one or two players can make all the difference

4 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

Honestly can’t believe the negativity on here tonight. We were playing Airdrie today who have shown they’re having a decent season and possibly could go up during the play offs.
I have either been or watched all our L1 fixtures against them since we were relegated. I thought apart from the usual defensive frailties we actually fought quite well and looked a far different team than we did under Sheerin. When was the last time we scored 2 against Airdrie away and missed so many chances.
I don’t know whether I’m watching a different game from some of you on this forum. I don’t think it was as bad as some are making out.
This new management team are literally just in the door and have been here for 3.5 games. I say, give them a chance before you slaughter them. For the first time in a while I saw some fight and spirit and determination particularly in the second half and I think it was a good improvement although the result never mirrored it.
Onwards etc.

I obviously wasn't at the game and didn't watch the stream (as they fuk my nerves up) but I think we need to concentrate on the positives and trust in R&M that they can sort out the negatives. I remain confident that they can.

4 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Avoiding the star players they signed in league one ?

Mcglynn signed the likes of Regan Hendry, Daniel Armstrong, Steven mclean and got Jamie gullen in.  McCall brought in the likes of docherty, tiffoney and foster.  They had recruitment ten times better than ours and none of them were in attractive positions at the time.

5 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

Honestly can’t believe the negativity on here tonight. We were playing Airdrie today who have shown they’re having a decent season and possibly could go up during the play offs.
I have either been or watched all our L1 fixtures against them since we were relegated. I thought apart from the usual defensive frailties we actually fought quite well and looked a far different team than we did under Sheerin. When was the last time we scored 2 against Airdrie away and missed so many chances.
I don’t know whether I’m watching a different game from some of you on this forum. I don’t think it was as bad as some are making out.
This new management team are literally just in the door and have been here for 3.5 games. I say, give them a chance before you slaughter them. For the first time in a while I saw some fight and spirit and determination particularly in the second half and I think it was a good improvement although the result never mirrored it.
Onwards etc.

Dont think anyone's slaughtering what they've done with the old players but there's only so much they can do with what's available. The new signings will determine what our second half of the season will be like and ok we're getting impatient but it's incredibly frustrating watching us make the same screw ups at the back week in week out.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Mcglynn signed the likes of Regan Hendry, Daniel Armstrong, Steven mclean and got Jamie gullen in.  McCall brought in the likes of docherty, tiffoney and foster.  They had recruitment ten times better than ours and none of them were in attractive positions at the time.

I'll ask again, who are the star players ?

Scrapping the barrell with that list

You got the Arbroath list of stars in league one ?

First game at their place this season

You are very correct about scoring 2 but cannot remember missing too many chances in that game. If I remember correctly after Hetherington got his marching orders we fought bravely and escaped with the points but were very fortunate that day.

12 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

McCall got lucky with Tiffoney IMO and also got very lucky that we decided to implode at the same time. What excellent contacts do McCall, McGlynn and Campbell have BTW, and who told you about them? I assume it's your scouting contacts, the lassie in the ticket office that gets you into our games or the guy on the coaching staff at Raith?

He didn't get lucky. It was a no-brainer signing which was why McCall punted a boy back to rangers who he'd just agreed to sign to open up a space for him. I was surprised livi were making him available for loan to a league one club as he was an excellent player. 

Told me about their contacts? You only have to look at the players they keep bringing in from other clubs FFS.  Campbell has a great link up with livi where he's had nouble and now Jack Hamilton who was back scoring goals again today. He's got Craig wigton whose half decent on loan now too.

Mcglynn has just signed the excellent Jamie gullen from hibs and also has guys on loan from Livingston like Ben Williamson who is a very decent player.  We know all about McCall and his extensive contacts.  He has brought in a number of players from rangers on loan. 

They all have built up strong contacts throughout Scottish football over the last 40 years or so and are well respected by players and other managers. That's a huge advantage when it comes to recruitment.

13 minutes ago, MrDust said:

I'll ask again, who are the star players ?

Scrapping the barrell with that list

You got the Arbroath list of stars in league one ?

Show me where I said star players please ? You've completely made that up.🤣🤣

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Think Rennie and Miller should be preparing for next season. They have been left with a side of duds and not even a decent window will sort it. Would be very interested what they could achieve if they had a summer to build a team. They are already improving the players who have any skill at all ( in that I don't include Hall McKay and Miller)

6 minutes ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

Think Rennie and Miller should be preparing for next season. They have been left with a side of duds and not even a decent window will sort it. Would be very interested what they could achieve if they had a summer to build a team. They are already improving the players who have any skill at all ( in that I don't include Hall McKay and Miller)

I'd wager the smart money on Rennie not being around beyond his initial 6-month contract.

2 minutes ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

Rennie and Miller are contracted only until the end of the season. As things stand, there is no "next season" where they are concerned. Their sole aim should be to somehow manage to get us into the top four - God help us that that is now the absolute limit of our aspiration for the remainder of the season, to try and finish just above midtable in League 1, but here we are - and then take our chances in the play-offs. Given our utterly pathetic inability to beat any team other than the absolute shite, even that looks a pretty erroneous task at this stage, albeit not impossible. The next two weeks are absolutely crucial in terms of recruitment to replace some of the dross who are continually selected week after week after week despite their consistently horrendous performances. 

14 minutes ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

That would be foolish imo. Yes, we are shite but somehow we’re only 3 points off the play off places.

5 or 6 additions could allow us to push for the 4th spot.

A fourth season in league 1 would be disastrous for the club financially- I suspect we’d see a substantial fall in ST and PATG income.

7 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Rennie and Miller are contracted only until the end of the season. As things stand, there is no "next season" where they are concerned. Their sole aim should be to somehow manage to get us into the top four - God help us that that is now the absolute limit of our aspiration for the remainder of the season, to try and finish just above midtable in League 1, but here we are - and then take our chances in the play-offs. Given our utterly pathetic inability to beat any team other than the absolute shite, even that looks a pretty erroneous task at this stage, albeit not impossible. The next two weeks are absolutely crucial in terms of recruitment to replace some of the dross who are continually selected week after week after week despite their consistently horrendous performances. 

Watching Rennies interview it's a bit like groundhog Day for virtually every post match one we've had this season. Talk of us needing to defend better and if the players don't change then it's on him just what sheerin has been saying since August. Of course we all know that the simple fact is certain players just aren't up to the job no matter how many times they have it drummed into them.  I just hope Rennie realises that way before sheerin did if he ever did.

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

Who are those star players that Campbell, McGlynn and McCall signed in league one ?

The back four who started for the team currently top of the Championship today have all been with the club since our league 1 / 2 days. Also Michael McKenna top scorer / assists in the Championship in the same boat.

11 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

That would be foolish imo. Yes, we are shite but somehow we’re only 3 points off the play off places.

5 or 6 additions could allow us to push for the 4th spot.

A fourth season in league 1 would be disastrous for the club financially- I suspect we’d see a substantial fall in ST and PATG income.

5 or 6 is pie-in-the-sky. One more is probably all we're looking at.

40 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

You are very correct about scoring 2 but cannot remember missing too many chances in that game. If I remember correctly after Hetherington got his marching orders we fought bravely and escaped with the points but were very fortunate that day.

Seen both before the game outside today