The Falkirk FC Thread

10 minutes ago, brokeville said:

Ian Fergus is followed out the door by Ronnie Bateman. What’s going on?

I said way back that I felt Bateman was only added to the board to help with the transfer of control from deans crew to the new guys. They would have had little knowledge in the intricacies of running a football club so would have needed his experience. Now they have their feet under the table the cull of the old guard continues.

8 minutes ago, headthebaw said:

Apart from that, is any good?

is he left or right sided?

2 goals in 4 starts and 13 sub appearances for us. 

Was often played wide right rather than up front but he was pretty hopeless in either position. Saying that, if an 18 stone Dylan Mackin can get some goals in League 2 I don't see why he can't as well 

Francis was awful!

I don't know about Ompreon, perhaps on the wing is a better position for him. Missed plenty of sitters, really should of had a few goals.

Regarding Ruth, perhaps one of two up front but don't think I'd play him ahead of Dowds or Morrison or Keena. Definitely a sub at this moment. Spends more time getting/looking for free kicks.

Francis was better than Ompreon and Wilson, although I appreciate we are onto slim pickings here, and I'm damning him with faint praise.

His interviews though... I mean no harm to the guy, and he seems like a nice enough chap, but he gives the impression of being the least intelligent person I've ever seen speak.

44 minutes ago, headthebaw said:

Apart from that, is any good?

is he left or right sided?

Neither.

Edit to say that, TBF, he looked quite good in his pre-season trial games. Was quite effective when we beat Raith 6-2 (I think) and I remember him laying a goal on a plate for Keena in a match at TFS with a fantastic pass. He originally looked like he may make an impression, including a good goal at Montrose, but went fairly rapidly downhill thereafter.

Edited by ShaggerG

2 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I'd happily keep Ruth as back up. His scoring record wasn't the worst especially considering it took him a few games to find his feet and the football we were playing was honking. He also works quite hard off the ball and would really benefit from having another striker alongside him who can hold the ball up (exactly like Dowds), rather than the 1-up-front pish we had to endure under Sheerin.

McDaid can get punted back to Dundee though, he has been really disappointing as he should be strolling this league. Maybe Rennie can get more out of him?

Ruth has been dugmeat for me and quoting his four goals is laughable, yep they all count but one is debatable if it's his, another hit off him and the Dumbarton one the midfield centre halves parted like a 90s haircut to give him a free shot. I will as I said give him a clean slate with an actual management team in. He has decent workrate but seriously needs to do what Sibbald did in the summer and bulk up. 

2 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Ruth has been dugmeat for me and quoting his four goals is laughable, yep they all count but one is debatable if it's his, another hit off him and the Dumbarton one the midfield centre halves parted like a 90s haircut to give him a free shot. I will as I said give him a clean slate with an actual management team in. He has decent workrate but seriously needs to do what Sibbald did in the summer and bulk up. 

2 of his 4 goals have been excellent. 

Ruth is a young player who was asked to do a thankless job under Sheerin with no service or support.  The fact he scored 4 goals under those conditions suggests he's got something.  He's lightweight for sure but puts in way more effort than Keena did/does when alone up front and gets into better positions.  Would like to see him with Dowds under the new formation.  

4 strikers, Dowds, Keena, Ruth and a new signing would be fine.  

16 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Ruth is a young player who was asked to do a thankless job under Sheerin with no service or support.  The fact he scored 4 goals under those conditions suggests he's got something.  He's lightweight for sure but puts in way more effort than Keena did/does when alone up front and gets into better positions.  Would like to see him with Dowds under the new formation.  

He's a loan signing though. There are better options out there as loan deals  than a boy who'll probably be playing for Elgin or the likes this time next year.  A complete waste using a loan deal for a 4th choice striker.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

He was at the game on Saturday certainly.

An absolute fucking disgrace btw. He’s a bigger cancer on our club than Holt and there’s absolutely no good reason for the board to keep him around.

I wouldn’t even be accepting his money as a fan.

3 minutes ago, Russ said:

An absolute fucking disgrace btw. He’s a bigger cancer on our club than Holt and there’s absolutely no good reason for the board to keep him around.

I wouldn’t even be accepting his money as a fan.

The swamp is slowly being drained but unfortunately some of the biggest leaches are still hanging about near the bottom. Just need to be patient.

Bloke on COYB claiming that Mark Reynolds may be coming to us. Along with us offering Goodwillie a 2.5 year deal, the failure of the deal being the amount of money due up front.

Also saying that Holt met him in his house to discuss the move.

3 things I hope aren't true.

Edited by Chinatoon Bairn

52 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Morrison is the third striker outside Keena and Dowds. He was fantastic at pulling Dumbarton all over the place Saturday. I hope they punt Ruth back to Aberdeen. Not good enough