The Falkirk FC Thread

12 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I know he held open trials in Edinburgh and a good number of the players come from there so it can’t have been a totally closed shop

All trials had been at the stadium, however he seemed to favour the 16s over the 18s from the offset and coached the 16s too as they had it easier in the league they where in. Fergus came across well but going by what I was told a crap communicator to players and parents and also a bit of a journey man in the coaching circle. Let’s hope the kids get the chance to develop and mix with first team to see if any good!

28 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Hopefully a few signings today so they get a few days training before the Airdrie game and a bit of clarity on what's happening with Ruth & Mcdaid. 

Surely mcdaids away. No reason for him to be kept on any longer. Ruth just depends on whether you can punt him back. If sheerin struggled to get a tune out of his love child  then I can't see anyone else doing much better.

10 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Surely mcdaids away. No reason for him to be kept on any longer. Ruth just depends on whether you can punt him back. If sheerin struggled to get a tune out of his love child  then I can't see anyone else doing much better.

12 games and 4 goals for Ruth in the league so 1 in every 3 games. Keena's 5 goals in 19 games so basically 1 in every 4 games then Dowds is 8 goals in 18 games thanks to his hatrick at the weekend. Ruth's only just turned 20 and is a lot better than what people on here give him credit for. Be interesting to see what Rennie thinks of him or even how he performs with a partner like Dowds upfront.

28 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I’d argue the exact opposite. Sheerin wanted to play a certain way that didn’t suit Ruth. I think he’ll have a better chance of showing what he can do in our new system and learning from Miller

I'd happily keep Ruth as back up. His scoring record wasn't the worst especially considering it took him a few games to find his feet and the football we were playing was honking. He also works quite hard off the ball and would really benefit from having another striker alongside him who can hold the ball up (exactly like Dowds), rather than the 1-up-front pish we had to endure under Sheerin.

McDaid can get punted back to Dundee though, he has been really disappointing as he should be strolling this league. Maybe Rennie can get more out of him?

I might be in the minority then but I think Ruth is dreadful. He did have a couple of decent games but on the whole didn’t give us much at all. His link up play is non existent, no strength at all and think his movement is very poor. I’d be delighted to see him punted back to Aberdeen but considering it’s highly likely they will get rid at the end of the season then I doubt they’ll be in a rush to take him back so we’ve probably got him until the summer. He’s better than Wilson obviously but still nowhere near good enough.

5 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I'd happily keep Ruth as back up. His scoring record wasn't the worst especially considering it took him a few games to find his feet and the football we were playing was honking. He also works quite hard off the ball and would really benefit from having another striker alongside him who can hold the ball up (exactly like Dowds), rather than the 1-up-front pish we had to endure under Sheerin.

McDaid can get punted back to Dundee though, he has been really disappointing as he should be strolling this league. Maybe Rennie can get more out of him?

Mcdaid doesn't really fit into Rennie's way of playing as there's no way he's a wing back. I'd imagine we're paying a fair bit of his wage too so I'd hope he's popped back to Dundee which leaves us with Ruth being the only loan left. Fox is out of contract in the summer so be interesting to see if that ones a permanent transfer or a loan. 

Guest TedCrilly

If Ruth was our own youth striker I’d probably have a lot more patience with him. I do think there is a player in there but I don’t think we can afford the proper game time to help develop him. If he stays he’d be fine to be kept as a 4th choice striker.

Edited by TedCrilly

If we are bringing guys in on loan they should be better than what we have on the books or for emergency back up. I'd have Ruth as 4th choice which is a waste of a loan for both parties. Just not good enough. Also re McDaid, isn't his loan up to the 16th? Can't see any announcement on him going back until then. 

There's a reason why Aberdeen haven't extended his contract and that's because he's not very good.  Rennie obviously prefers dowds and Keena so no point having a loan deal that's a 3rd or 4th choice.  Punt him back if possible and use the loan slot far better.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

There's a reason why Aberdeen haven't extended his contract and that's because he's not very good.  Rennie obviously prefers dowds and Keena so no point having a loan deal that's a 3rd or 4th choice.  Punt him back if possible and use the loan slot far better.

He's maybe been injured or out with covid. He was on the bench for the east fife game then hasn't been in a squad since.

Just now, headthebaw said:

Apart from that, is any good?

is he left or right sided?

Right footed but given his first touch is a pass it'll be hard to tell which foot he kicks with. He was wrotten in the limited opportunities he had with us so i've not really got anything positive to say for you unfortunately.

Apart from that, is any good?
is he left or right sided?

He’s right footed but he’s absolutely terrible. I think he’s kind of fast with absolutely no technical ability whatsoever.

I know there’s been plenty players over the late few years that have been shite for us but went on to some success elsewhere, Dylan Mackin for example, I’m not 100% confident Akeel Francis won’t be one of them. The kind of player that just belongs in the 10th tier of English football.