The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Keena is ideal fodder for Kenny Miller to work with.

Its also going to be hugely beneficial to him to have Dowds beside him occupying defenders and doing more of the hold up.

I always have been, and remain convinced, that there is a good striker in Keena.

Totally agree with this. I remember arguing in the summer that Keena is a goalscorer and if he is playing in a team that creates chances then he’ll score goals. I was also a fan of Dowds, however, too many fans judge a striker on how many goals they scored so he was always going to be slagged by some

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Keena is ideal fodder for Kenny Miller to work with.

Its also going to be hugely beneficial to him to have Dowds beside him occupying defenders and doing more of the hold up.

I always have been, and remain convinced, that there is a good striker in Keena.

Completely agree. 

The argument that we shouldn’t sign Goodwillie cos he is a rapist is absolutely fair.
The argument that we shouldn’t sign Goodwillie cos we have Anton Dowds is absolutely fucking ludicrous. 
There’s no doubt Dowds has come back to us a better player but Goodwillie is levels above him.
FWIW they’d actually make a very decent partnership. 

Dowds fills the Goodwillie role adequately and that should put this rumour to bed. There is no point in having 2 similar type of players vying for this one position. Just need to keep our fingers crossed that Dowds doesn't get injured. 

We still need a half decent keeper, another Centre Half and an enforcer in the middle of the park to take the pressure off our lightweight guys. 

Yesterday was interesting in that we wanted to get the ball moving forwards much quicker, rather than playing it across the back line all the time.. In saying that, Dumbarton were woeful, made so many mistakes in giving the ball away and allowed us to play. The next few games will tell if we are moving in the right direction. 

I may be the only one on here who thinks this, but I have a feeling Ompreon might just come good as a wide man on the right, not as a striker. He hasn't had much chance playing in this position with Morrison out there, but now the style has changed with Morrison (or Keene) partnering Dowds through the middle, he might just be the perfect foil to partner Williamson on that side.   

3 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

The argument that we shouldn’t sign Goodwillie cos he is a rapist is absolutely fair.
The argument that we shouldn’t sign Goodwillie cos we have Anton Dowds is absolutely fucking ludicrous. 
There’s no doubt Dowds has come back to us a better player but Goodwillie is levels above him.
FWIW they’d actually make a very decent partnership. 

It's not just 'fair'. He shouldn't be signed. Stop trying to justify it. 

4 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

It's not just 'fair'. He shouldn't be signed. Stop trying to justify it. 

On a Sunday sesh Senor? I haven’t once justified it. I have actually gone on record as being against the signing so get down off that high horse and enjoy your pint. 

Can’t wait for the new faces, and some decent signs that we’ve got a manager and coach that know what the game is all about. As posted it’s what many have said repeatedly, get the spine of the team strong we won’t be far away, therefore a new GK, CB MF CF please.

Had a few reruns of the highlights, Dowds overall performance was a pleasure to watch, probably not since Rudden have we seen this type of effort…

1 hour ago, Zbairn said:

Dowds fills the Goodwillie role adequately and that should put this rumour to bed. There is no point in having 2 similar type of players vying for this one position. Just need to keep our fingers crossed that Dowds doesn't get injured. 

We still need a half decent keeper, another Centre Half and an enforcer in the middle of the park to take the pressure off our lightweight guys. 

Yesterday was interesting in that we wanted to get the ball moving forwards much quicker, rather than playing it across the back line all the time.. In saying that, Dumbarton were woeful, made so many mistakes in giving the ball away and allowed us to play. The next few games will tell if we are moving in the right direction. 

I may be the only one on here who thinks this, but I have a feeling Ompreon might just come good as a wide man on the right, not as a striker. He hasn't had much chance playing in this position with Morrison out there, but now the style has changed with Morrison (or Keene) partnering Dowds through the middle, he might just be the perfect foil to partner Williamson on that side.   

Is this serious? “There is no point in having 2 similar type of players vying for this one position”, I would argue that’s exactly what you want. You even said yourself you need to keep your fingers crossed that Dowds doesn’t get injured

Edited by Rocco

Don't want Raplochs baddest but another target/hold up man is needed. Think we will find we will gain a few strikers if we do. Keena and Morrison need to play alongside a player like Dowds. That a big error from Sheerin and Holt. They thought those players could score without one. Wrong

1 hour ago, JulioBairn said:

On a Sunday sesh Senor? I haven’t once justified it. I have actually gone on record as being against the signing so get down off that high horse and enjoy your pint. 

I wish I was on a Sunday sesh, don't think I'm on a high horse being annoyed at people saying he'd be a good signing in any shape or form.

13 hours ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

But if your serious about getting into the top league you need to meet the criteria - as far as I'm aware that's 7k seats and astro or Under soil heating

That will cost a few Million quid and the upkeep of said infrastructure costs a bunch too. 

Hence why you can match us for wages. 

The stadium criteria for the Premiership is to have a bronze licensed stadium, the exact same as the Championship. As of the December 21 update the only SPFL clubs who don't are Cove, Dumbarton (not sure what's happened for them to drop a level), Albion Rovers, Edinburgh City and Kelty. Everyone else has a Premiership compliant stadium.

Said it before but by god what a difference one game makes to peoples opinions on here. Nobody was overly bothered about Dowds leaving in August and now we don't need another striker as prime Drogba is back. We most certainly need another striker.

Hopefully Rennie can move a few on in the next few weeks as well as bringing a few in as Wilson & Ompreon are just a waste of a jersey. Very interested to see what happens with Ruth but even if he stays I'd hope to see us sign another striker especially as Rennie fancies the two upfront. He's clearly sticking with the 3-4-1-2 so we need a new right sided centre back and hopefully Dixon's not out for much longer. A centre midfielder is also a priority to keep Hetherington and Miller out the team. Surprised about us looking for a new goalkeeper but Holt Jr may have been punted along with his dad and Mutch may be out for longer than expected. Can't help to have them both training with an experienced keeper like Scott Fox if that rumour does come to fruition. 

Rennie's system doesn't suit Morrison which is why he's flung him upfront but he'll need to learn quickly if he's going to keep his place in the team as he missed a fair few chances yesterday.

Obviously quality over quantity but I don't think 5/6 signings in January is unreasonable especially as some will be loans.

Edited by FFC 1876

14 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Said it before but by god what a difference one game makes to peoples opinions on here. Nobody was overly bothered about Dowds leaving in August and now we don't need another striker as prime Drogba is back. We most certainly need another striker.

Hopefully Rennie can move a few on in the next few weeks as well as bringing a few in as Wilson & Ompreon are just a waste of a jersey. Very interested to see what happens with Ruth but even if he stays I'd hope to see us sign another striker especially as Rennie fancies the two upfront. He's clearly sticking with the 3-4-1-2 so we need a new right sided centre back and hopefully Dixon's not out for much longer. A centre midfielder is also a priority to keep Hetherington and Miller out the team. Surprised about us looking for a new goalkeeper but Holt Jr may have been punted along with his dad and Mutch may be out for longer than expected. Can't help to have them both training with an experienced keeper like Scott Fox if that rumour does come to fruition. 

Rennie's system doesn't suit Morrison which is why he's flung him upfront but he'll need to learn quickly if he's going to keep his place in the team as he missed a fair few chances yesterday.

Obviously quality over quantity but I don't think 5/6 signings in January is unreasonable especially as some will be loans.

Aberdeen and Ruth will know his game time will be more than likely off the subs bench.

With his messiah(s) now in charge at Killie, wouldn’t shock me if he’s already been in communication.

4 hours ago, Kircer bairn said:

See Wee Kevin O Hara out of the picture at the Pars 

A third of the best strike force outside the top league a par fan said on our post 😂 Yogi not playing any of the other 2 also.

Wilson won't be going anywhere soon unless we pay him off, I don't rate either Ruth or Omperon and obviously Rennie doesn't either. I'm not too keen on Morrison up top either but we need another better than the loans.

A young right back wouldn't go a miss given that Miller fills in, centre mid and another centre defender. I'm not surprised a goalkeeper is being touted. 

We were told we'd spend in this window, defence is the big concern for me as it's as bad as the Hartley one we ended up with 

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

I would argue that this system should suit Morrison more than being played wide.

His crossing is as good as Hall and McKays defending but his pace through the middle is a real asset though he does need to improve his finishing.