The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest TedCrilly
Just now, Gaz said:

Someone with a profile picture of him with his (presumably) daugher comparing Goodwillie to Ched Evans, an innocent man locked up.

We have the club we deserve.

That’s absolutely wild. 

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

Someone with a profile picture of him with his (presumably) daugher comparing Goodwillie to Ched Evans, an innocent man locked up.

That we do. If he's signed it'll be a board and fan failing. Board for being that stupid, fans for not kicking up enough of a fuss. At least I wouldn't be part of it anymore.

That statement very much reads as if Goodwillie will be unveiled very shortly. Teeing it up nicely with the 'we've got two years to get promoted or we won't be full time' to show the urgency required. Obviously on the park it makes sense to sign the best striker in the division but it seems like a strange decision when off the park the new board have been calling for everyone to pull together. This will clearly do the opposite. 

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

That statement very much reads as if Goodwillie will be unveiled very shortly. Teeing it up nicely with the 'we've got two years to get promoted or we won't be full time' to show the urgency required. Obviously on the park it makes sense to sign the best striker in the division but it seems like a strange decision when off the park the new board have been calling for everyone to pull together. This will clearly do the opposite. 

Nail on head there for me.

Basically “we need to get promoted this year or we’ll be part time. Winning is the priority and we get to make whatever decisions we want so we’ll sign Goodwillie if he helps us win football matches”.

Absolutely shameless stuff if it happens.

There are "hard" decisions and "hard" decisions.

This is not one of them. This is a moral issue and decision.  It should be an "easy" decision for this BoD.

The signing of DG would prove to be be ultra divisive and if they do go ahead with this, they are effectively in contempt of a huge proprtion of the fanbase. A fanbase who they purportedly represent. 

Rant over and will now wait as see how it all pans out.  I still have a glimmer of hope that they can't be that stupid.

Edited by Zbairn

There are two 'main' FB groups. One is COYB (which I got banned from for saying McKinnon was no better than Hartley and would get us relegated) and the other is the Falkirk Football Club Fans Group, which I'm still a member of.
The latter has a significant number of people who think Goodwillie has done nothing wrong, that we should sign him, that it was just a lads night out, that the lassie is a gold digger, that he's never done anything wrong etc..
It's really disappointing.
We had similar. I can't speak for any of our other fans but it feels like the speculation to him has caused a schism in our support. You had some ridiculous takes on social media: plenty of folk saying "it wasn't criminal court", "never found guilty", "trial by social media. Innocent until proven guilty". I must've sent the court summary to about 6 or 7 folk on twitter to correct some of the bullshit being spun.

I'm glad there were plenty of other fans who (like myself) were willing to stand up and say he shouldn't be signed. Having Val McDermid being a key sponsor helped there too. It's fucking brutal how many people, all young men, were willing to overlook what happened on the basis "he'll get us the goals to get promoted".

Guest TedCrilly
Just now, Zbairn said:

There are "hard" decisions and "hard" decisions.

This is not one of them. This is a moral issue and decision.  It shoud be an "easy" decision for this BoD.

The signing of DG would prove to be be ultra divisive and if they do go ahead with this, they are effectively in contempt of a huge proprtion of the fanbase. A fanbase who they purportedly represent. 

Rant over and will now wait as see how it all pans out.  I still have a glimmer of hope that they can't be that stupid.

Absolutely spot on. They mention the FSS numbers needing to increase then go onto say about making unpopular decisions. If that decision they are alluding to is David Goodwillie then they’re totally deluded.

5 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

That statement very much reads as if Goodwillie will be unveiled very shortly. Teeing it up nicely with the 'we've got two years to get promoted or we won't be full time' to show the urgency required.

Then I'd rather support a part-time team.

My misses was a 'new fan' but she won't go if DBW is signed, my 2 boys won't be going either. 3 Fans down!!

That paragraph is explosive. It actually ruined a decent piece of work. However I refuse to get caught up on the DG chat but can sense that it will cause a huge backlash from our fan base and another massive obstacle for our board to try to justify and manoeuvre around.

I wonder what our club sponsors think?

This could get from really bad to unbelievably shockingly bad

F£&@ing hell.

If they do decide to sign him I hope they are wearing FUCKING BIG JOCK STRAPS!

Guest TedCrilly
1 minute ago, Blame Me said:

How widely circulated is the email?

I've not had anything arrive - I won't jump to conclusions as I have emailed the club about the lack of correspondence I receive - and it's not published anywhere else to verify.

I received the email at 14:35.

Edited by TedCrilly

14 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Tbh it’s an odd line to put in the statement at all. It reads to me as the board saying it’s basically our way or the highway. 

Not a great look to me when the board is exclusively comprised of members of one group that owns a minority stake in the club.

Although minority the PG together own the single largest shareholding in the club, other larger shareholders, SA, MR and the Rawlins have all took a step back, ie want nothing to do with running the club. 

On DGW, without even looking at the morality of the decision - the spilt it will obviously cause within the fanbase should be enough to kibosh the signing, especially at a time everyone need to be pulling together. I'm not convinced today's statement is teeing up the signing as many seem to think.

That statement genuinely sounds like they're just softening us up a bit and preparing us for the final howitzer!

What's the point of having a board email to enable the fans to engage easier with the board, if they simply do not respond or even acknowledge the correspondences, do they even read the emails from us plebs?

If they then go on to just ignore the view that I know numerous people have emailed them about, then I'd say all positivity towards this new board will go up in smoke and I for one would consider them as cretinous as previous boards. 

@StuartA what's the FSS position on this? 

15 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Just means we have some massive zoomers in our support, the vast majority of our support (like the majority of people in our town) are decent but there's a minority of bams as there are in every support or town. We're lucky as the old firm hoover up a %age of bams from all over Scotland so we actually as a support have less idiots than we should.