The Falkirk FC Thread

I've not been on here much lately. Just 2 things to say.

Great that Holt is finally gone. 

And...Goodwillie? Please no. I know he can play but there are bigger issues here. This is a community and a family club at heart. The club want people to come to games (when the Government allow it) and bring their kids and cheer on the team. A signing like that will create a lot of ill feeling - the thought or it puts me off certainly. The man is toxic to any club that has him. We've had a bad enough time of it in recent years without adding him into the mix. Let him stay at Clyde, or whoever else wants him. There are other players out there.

Seriously hope arbroath can keep dowds till end of season as he has been brilliant and pretty sure he does not want to go back to play with you guys who this season are struggling to get in promotion playoffs and looking the opposite direction. Doubt it though and hope he keeps the form up for you guys if he comes back.

6 minutes ago, lichtiedaft1993 said:

Seriously hope arbroath can keep dowds till end of season as he has been brilliant and pretty sure he does not want to go back to play with you guys who this season are struggling to get in promotion playoffs and looking the opposite direction. Doubt it though and hope he keeps the form up for you guys if he comes back.

As some have already said the fact he's been quite vocal about wanting to stay at Abroath most likely means the two clubs will try sort something out. Could be a small fee or could be that we'll wait until we've sourced another striker.

19 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

As some have already said the fact he's been quite vocal about wanting to stay at Abroath most likely means the two clubs will try sort something out. Could be a small fee or could be that we'll wait until we've sourced another striker.

Dowds is no world beater but he is clearly performing better than anyone else at Falkirk.

He should be coming back to us or alternatively sold to Arbroath at an appropriate fee for a successful forward, NOT a small fee.

Look after our own interests not Arbroaths.

If I were Rennie I'd be taking Dowds back regardless. Along with Keena and two new additions that should give us the competition we need up front. I'm assuming Wilson will be loaned out to the lowland league and Ruth will go back to Aberdeen

The chances of picking up a genuine quality striker (eg McManus) in this window is pretty slim, so we should be trying to assemble the best squad we can from the mess that Holt left. If that means upsetting Arbroath then so be it 

Guest TedCrilly
1 minute ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

If I were Rennie I'd be taking Dowds back regardless. Along with Keena and two new additions that should give us the competition we need up front. I'm assuming Wilson will be loaned out to the lowland league and Ruth will go back to Aberdeen

The chances of picking up a genuine quality striker (eg McManus) in this window is pretty slim, so we should be trying to assemble the best squad we can from the mess that Holt left. If that means upsetting Arbroath then so be it 

If Dowds doesn’t want to stay I’d be punting him. We need everyone at the club to be committed to get us out of this mess. Dowds could be part of something really special at Arbroath, get a loan fee, his full wages paid up and move on. I agree with a previous poster that he’s not a world beater. Definitely a good option to have but we’d be in a similar position had he not been loaned out. Arbroath just feels like a perfect fit for him.

6 minutes ago, TedCrilly said:

If Dowds doesn’t want to stay I’d be punting him. We need everyone at the club to be committed to get us out of this mess. Dowds could be part of something really special at Arbroath, get a loan fee, his full wages paid up and move on. I agree with a previous poster that he’s not a world beater. Definitely a good option to have but we’d be in a similar position had he not been loaned out. Arbroath just feels like a perfect fit for him.

As I said no world beater but probably better than we currently have.

Whether or not he would rather be at Arbroath is irrelevant, he is a professional footballer under contract to Falkirk and I would expect him to be fully committed to his job in the event that he stays with us.

Again I would stress that its his career not his hobby and we pay his wages.

If Arbroath want to keep him then buy him and pay his full time wages until the end of the season or get him a job if you can persuade him to give up full time football. Otherwise he comes back to us and gives it a go.  Its warmer down here and the facilities are much better so I'm sure he could cope for 5 months or so given he trains with us all week anyway.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If Arbroath want to keep him then but him and pay his full time wages until the end of the season or get him a job if you can persuade him to give up full time football. Otherwise he comes back to us and gives it a go.  Its warmer down here and the facilities are much better so I'm sure he could cope for 5 months or so.

Bang on Shadwell, if he wants to continue full time he comes back here and gets stuck in. If he does well he may get offered another deal here or get a full-time offer from another club. 

28 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If Arbroath want to keep him then buy him and pay his full time wages until the end of the season or get him a job if you can persuade him to give up full time football. Otherwise he comes back to us and gives it a go.  Its warmer down here and the facilities are much better so I'm sure he could cope for 5 months or so given he trains with us all week anyway.

It’s not like their short of a few £s. 0.5M burning a hole……..

I would love the club to pay the loan fee to take him till end of season as seems he would be scrapping for chances with you guys this season but he has had loads of chances with us and found the net a good few times. Sadly i dont think he will be back to us but fingers crossed and uses sign goodwillie and then he will be seen to be not needed [emoji23][emoji23] can only hope.

Just now, lichtiedaft1993 said:

I would love the club to pay the loan fee to take him till end of season as seems he would be scrapping for chances with you guys this season but he has had loads of chances with us and found the net a good few times. Sadly i dont think he will be back to us but fingers crossed and uses sign goodwillie and then he will be seen to be not needed emoji23.pngemoji23.png can only hope.

Just a thought, why don't Arbroath sign Goodwillie.

End the rumours of us taking him.

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

Pretty much sums the situation with Dowds. It was clear he found the step up from part time to full time difficult. Had a few chances in the starting eleven and unlucky that the few chances he got he would crack the post or crossbar, confidence lost and became the whipping boy for many. Sometimes a change of scene suits players and looks like he’s taken his chance. Will be good to see him back under Rennie and as said he’s our player to loose.

It's an unpopular view but I see a lot of similarities with Ruth who I think did better than most give him credit for because he was Sheerins man.  The system didn't suit him but there was rarely a game where he didn't have chances and he scored a few too.  With proper coaching, Millers advice and a partner up front he could yet come good.  I wouldn't at all be surprised if he 'did a Dowds' and did better with his next team if he's not kept on with us.  

For me, Keena and Ruth both have limitations but would keep both and supplement with another 2 strikers (Dowds and 1 other). Wilson and Ompreon can go..

Guest Back Post Misses
2 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I don’t doubt that but said Miller purely as he will have a vast number of contacts. Many at decent clubs.

You seem to want to interpret everything as a slight on the board or management team! It isn’t. 

No, your post implies that Miller is the one with all the contacts or you would have said Rennie is hopefully using his contacts. 
Merely pointing out Rennie IMO is much more in touch with Scotland than most realise

11 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

It's an unpopular view but I see a lot of similarities with Ruth who I think did better than most give him credit for because he was Sheerins man.  The system didn't suit him but there was rarely a game where he didn't have chances and he scored a few too.  With proper coaching, Millers advice and a partner up front he could yet come good.  I wouldn't at all be surprised if he 'did a Dowds' and did better with his next team if he's not kept on with us.  

For me, Keena and Ruth both have limitations but would keep both and supplement with another 2 strikers (Dowds and 1 other). Wilson and Ompreon can go..

Ruth for me showed more than what Dowds did last season. His goal v East Fife is a great striker's finish and goal v Dumbarton was good too. Wouldn't say he should be our starting man but would rather have him off the bench than Mcdaid, Ompreon, Ross, Mcguffie etc 

So if Dowds comes back, then signs a PCA with another FT team, what do they do? Play somebody who DGAF, let him stay with Arbroath till his contract runs out or just free him to get him off the wage bill?