The Falkirk FC Thread

9 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Appreciate you getting behind Holt but you can tell from the small % of our support on here that he needed to go. It’s the right decision from the new board - well done them.

I backed the bod not him. They thankfully have been proven right and have managed to squeeze him out . I fully expected that to happen in time unlike others who didn't have the patience to wait a few weeks. Yes well done to the bod. Continuing to work through the mess left by deans even whilst getting a kicking from some about not having done everything within the first 5 mins of taking over.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

3 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I can't see Holt going to Ayr being a huge Killie fan. His Killie tattoo would get the fans on his back straight away. Reckon he might take some time away from the game for a while after what sounds like a pretty bad year for him.

I get he wasn't a success in his role at Falkirk but I never saw Gary as anything other than a gentleman whenever I've seen him speak in the media. Met him a couple of times when he was Livi manager and he came across as a thoroughly nice guy

You obviously haven't seen any of our question and answers sessions then and must be about the only guy on the planet that missed the last one on YouTube.. Gentleman and thoroughly nice guy is certainly the last thing he came across as 

Just now, Bainsfordbairn said:

One point that's been missed but which I think may turn out to be significant. Ian Fergus will now report to Jamie Swinney. 

The role of our CEO initially appeared to be focussed on a solely management / admin basis, with a bit of sales thrown in following the departure of KK. 

Now he's going to be involved in football again. Given that he was in charge of FVFA I suspect this is a very good move. I have a lot of dealings with Ian Fergus and I think the two of them will work well together. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out. 

Any camera work booked in with yourself today?

2 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

One point that's been missed but which I think may turn out to be significant. Ian Fergus will now report to Jamie Swinney. 

The role of our CEO initially appeared to be focussed on a solely management / admin basis, with a bit of sales thrown in following the departure of KK. 

Now he's going to be involved in football again. Given that he was in charge of FVFA I suspect this is a very good move. I have a lot of dealings with Ian Fergus and I think the two of them will work well together. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out. 

Always seemed like a more realistic set up for us at our current level. Saves 50k a year for a start.

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You obviously haven't seen any of our question and answers sessions then and must be about the only guy on the planet that missed the last one on YouTube.. Gentleman and thoroughly nice guy is certainly the last thing he came across as 

I saw some clips of a Q&A session but Holt wasn't speaking in those ones. Wonder if the pressure from the fans got to him. Genuinely one of the nicest guys I've met from the world of football. 

Edited by Cptn Hooch

9 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Yep, well into double figures! Can we ask them to sack anyone else? Shall we start a poll??  🙂
(thanks for signing up, too)

https://falkirksupporters.org/subscribe/

Trebuchet GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

She really is due a spell of downtime, so if you could just load up our central defence then throw the dust covers on for a few years that would be great.

1 minute ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Personally I’d like to see Brian Rice appointed as director of football/head of recruitment.

Personally, I don’t want to see the club spunking any more cash unless it’s on decent football players.

5 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I saw some clips of a Q&A session but Holt wasn't speaking in those ones. Wonder if the pressure from the fans got to him. Genuinely one of the nicest guys I've met from the world of football. 

Guy would not take criticism. Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say I've made an arse of it but with him it was never his mistakes. There was always an excuse. We're 7th in league one and yet he was still trying to say his signings were better than last season and everything was great.  He was incredibly patronising to fans when asked questions .

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

I'll probably get red-dotted to oblivion for this, but I found him to be a nice guy. He was never anything other than pleasant, courteous and helpful in his dealings with me.  I watched him talking to staff dozens of times and he was the same with them. Having a quick snapshot of someone when they're under the spotlight doesn't necessarily give you a clear insight into their personality. 

None of which defends his record at FFC. His tenure saw us go from top of the league on his arrival to 21 points behind Cove on his departure and for that, as well as multiple other reasons, he had to go. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
33 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Holt was against Goodwillie signing, or at least indicated that at the fan's meeting. Do you think this might be clearing the way to allowing it?

Christ almighty. Just when I was about to give a massive cheer you throw this nugget in! Sincerely hope not!!

Anyway without taking that in to consideration, it’s great to see the new board are starting to clear out the deadwood. Great work. 

1 minute ago, NUMBER 7 said:

Personally, I don’t want to see the club spunking any more cash unless it’s on decent football players.

Tbh I do think it can be a useful role in the right hands.

Fundamentally the quality of recruitment will determine our success- £50k a year is nothing compared to the money that we’ve spent signing and paying off dross.

Rice also has a good track record in identifying good young players who can then be sold on. Quite a few clubs in league 1 also have directors of football, so it’s not totally unknown at this level either.

1 minute ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I'll probably get red-dotted to oblivion for this, but I found him to be a nice guy. He was never anything other than pleasant, courteous and helpful in his dealings with me.  I watched him talking to staff dozens of times and he was the same with them. Having a quick snapshot of someone when they're under the spotlight doesn't necessarily give you a clear insight into their personality. 

None of which defends his record at FFC. His tenure saw us go from top of the league on his arrival to 21 points behind Cove on his departure and for that, as well as multiple other reasons, he had to go. 

He was obviously then simply in a role that didn't suit him at all. You have to be able to interact with the fans and accept criticism even sometimes when you don't agree with it. His performances at every q and a were simply unacceptable and showed no sign of improvement the longer he was in the role. He was far too confrontational when challenged. His signings record was obviously not good enough but he may have curried more favour of he hadn't come over as such a clown at those meetings.