The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

How do you know that the new board 'punted' McFarlane then? Hopefully we don't have someone on the BOD leaking information?

I can assure you that I've not spoken to anyone on the bod . As I said I'm not friends with anyone on the bod I have spoken to them and discussed various Falkirk issues and goings on at a number of EGM's, AGM's and fans meetings over the years and have been in their company through shared acquaintances but that's it.

Wish we had actual football to talk about rather than random speculation on who does what and us knowing nought. We have this week to see what happens

My prediction is for the coming week that we announce someone and spend the rest of the week discussing how pish they are…[emoji16]

6 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Why don’t you understand that clubs live via their support and it’s important to keep them updated? People really shouldn’t have to burden the club by contacting them individually to ask the same questions.
As far as I can see you’re the only one make an arse of yourself….

It's going to be a tough few years coming up if everyone is going to start complaining every time we go  4 weeks without a major announcement. 

It's going to be a tough few years coming up if everyone is going to start complaining every time we go  4 weeks without a major announcement. 

I’m sure things will settle.
Those that do it well usually provide a regular short update every couple of weeks, nothing more than a few lines to outline what’s going on behind the scenes without getting into significant detail. It just makes everyone feel part of the picture.
The one on the FSS site was decent enough. It’s just a shame that few not in the FSS were aware of it….

Im usually seen as one of the most negative posters on here with people berating me for it but by jove's a lot of you are putting me to shame just now.  

Aye, I’m getting worried that this site isn’t negative enough so trying to fill in for you until you complete your course of medication….[emoji16]

10 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

ATS played against them in a bounce game for Dunfermline and impressed . Dunfermline were interested but we got in first and signed him.  It's not exactly rocket science. If any signings had been agreed before Rennie arrived I would've expected them to have been announced by now.  Holt and sheerin will have identified targets which I'm sure will be put to Rennie and if he thinks they are what he's looking for he may take them further. I'd also expect Rennie and miller to have their own list of targets they will want to pursue.

At last something we can agree on 😁

...The Board have set out to me a compelling vision for the return of a youth and talent development pipeline and the need to develop a five-year football strategy which ensures that all departments, from recruitment to sport science and analysis, are all working in harmony...

The excerpt above is from Holt's hiring announcement so based on him only being one year in to the 5-year plan that's why he hasn't been dispensed with.

He's restarted the youth and talent pipeline and must have a hand in recruitment.

I can imagine Holt will manage the roster and based on the managers needs will buy, sell, loan or promote players based on criteria.

As described at the infamous Q&A he is tasked with cultivating "assets" either via the talent pipeline or identifying guys like Wilson - who it's obviously hoped - can become valuable over time. Hence why they've gone on loan as Sheerin preferred Ruth. 

Rennie's (or any manager in situ) role is to work with Holt to identify positions and types of player to bring in and Holt does the dirty work. 

Some plausible examples of what might be at play:

You're not in the managers plans and need game time - Holt facilitates your exit, temporarily.

You're saleable and you've got a youngster to take their place - Holt facilitates your permanent sale and said youth is given a chance.

You're short in a position - Holt works on a shortlist to bolster or backfill.

You want an experienced head at the back - Holt works on a shortlist but in some cases X has to go before you can sign Y.

There will be an element of horse trading going on so the manger might not get everything he wants but the manager ultimately decides on who comes in. Holt does the leg work and keeps the roster within whatever strategy the club are pursuing.

The above is all conjecture based on what I know of similar roles discussed in the media and gleaned from statements made by Sheerin/Rennie and Holt himself.

The success of other areas are obviously less visible.

2 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

The excerpt above is from Holt's hiring announcement so based on him only being one year in to the 5-year plan that's why he hasn't been dispensed with.

He's restarted the youth and talent pipeline and must have a hand in recruitment.

I can imagine Holt will manage the roster and based on the managers needs will buy, sell, loan or promote players based on criteria.

As described at the infamous Q&A he is tasked with cultivating "assets" either via the talent pipeline or identifying guys like Wilson - who it's obviously hoped - can become valuable over time. Hence why they've gone on loan as Sheerin preferred Ruth. 

Rennie's (or any manager in situ) role is to work with Holt to identify positions and types of player to bring in and Holt does the dirty work. 

You're not in the managers plans and need game time - Holt facilitates your exit, temporarily.

You're saleable and you've got a youngster to take their place - Holt facilitates your permanent sale and said youth is given a chance.

You want an experienced head at the back - Holt works on a shortlist but in some cases X has to go before you can sign Y.

There will be an element of horse trading going on so the manger might not get everything he wants but the manager ultimately decides on who comes in. Holt does the leg work and keeps the roster within whatever strategy the club are pursuing.

The above is all conjecture based on what I know of similar roles discussed in the media and gleaned from statements made by Sheerin/Rennie and Holt himself.

Seems to me like a good summary of what Holt does. 

I can definitely see the plus points of this type of role at the club. Too bad Holt is just crap at it. Let’s get Rice in 

Guest Caractacus Potts
11 hours ago, Blame Me said:

Problem with a 5 year plan regarding Holt is that he hasn’t hung around anywhere for longer much more than 2 years! 

Edit to add: he also suggested on Open Goal that this was a job that suited him for the time and he wouldn’t be against considering another offer that may interest him. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

5 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

I just posted and then deleted a post from the FFC website as it was a very small version of yours, which wasn't as good!

Most of what I've read today in the negative is out there if you just search, eg Holt (who I'm not trying to back up here by the way!) "to reintroduce a youth and talent development pipeline, to develop our off-field infrastructure and ultimately to support our management team"

This must be one of the busiest P&B day on this FFC thread. I really wish you guys would pack it in cause I keep on thinking we’re being busy in the January window signing new players or Holt has left the building. It is so disappointing that there is no new news.

Can we just make some rumours up, anything please? [emoji12]

Apparently, David Goodwillie might be signing.

F&£@ sake ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
Any rumours except DG or Covid protocols and politics. We just started discussing football matters.

Any better rumours than that one? Just make it up.