The Falkirk FC Thread

7 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I remember that being a question to Sheerin at the q&a, if he thought we had the players to pass out from the back at this level, he said he thought he did but think he has been proven wrong. The way our defenders look on the ball I would be telling them to get it as far away as feck from our goals at every opportunity.

Doesnt help when the oppostion ping one "over the top" from distance and our central defenders make a pigs ear of it. How many goals have we lost with simple "over the top" balls ? We are murder through the middle.

7 minutes ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Guys like Pep and Klopp, say f**k it, we play this way - no matter what. They can do this because they have great players  but Even Rodgers and Ange at Celtic played one way and look at the results in Europe.

People forget Alex Ferguson played to get results, he played John O’Shea and other defenders in midfield to shithouse his way to a result away from home.

We need to play to get results, forget this controlling the game and having a lot of the ball. Get the ball up the pitch as quickly as possible. Even if ball goes out for a throw in near the corner flag - we can pressure from there. Keep the ball as far away from our centre backs as possible.

This is the downfall of possession based football. 
It makes sense to retain the ball and stretch the opposition by either making them disjointed or tiring them out so that spaces open up for the attackers to exploit. 

However, when your attackers don't have the quality - more often than not - or you find a team who are organised and deny the space the tactic isn't worth sh*t.

I'd rather very short, quick phases of play to outnumber teams when attacking than high retention with no threat as we have now.

Would also help if our midfield were able to win 2nd balls instead of relying on Keena or Ruth winning it far from goal.

3 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

This is the downfall of possession based football. 
It makes sense to retain the ball and stretch the opposition by either making them disjointed or tiring them out so that spaces open up for the attackers to exploit. 

However, when your attackers don't have the quality - more often than not - or you find a team who are organised and deny the space the tactic isn't worth sh*t.

I'd rather very short, quick phases of play to outnumber teams when attacking than high retention with no threat as we have now.

Would also help if our midfield were able to win 2nd balls instead of relying on Keena or Ruth winning it far from goal.

When a defence is as frail and unreliable as ours, literally playing for territory is pretty fundamental. I'd rather hit the corners every time and get bodies in the box. If you lose possession then it isn't dangerous. Its not pretty but football at this level isn't pretty anyway.

5 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

There is a reason that Scottish footballs "dinosaurs" such as Dick Campbell are still about. They aren't trying to re-invent the wheel. They know how to get the best out of average players and pay to their strengths as opposed to getting players to fit in with an ideology and specific style of playing. 

That is why you'll never see Paul Sheerin managing into his late 60's. At this level it should really be be horses for courses. Let Guardiola et al focus on building teams of well drilled robots. At this level its about finding out what your players are good at and finding away of matching that advantage up against your opponents weaknesses.

Also as important is identifying what our players are bad at as well as good at.

Set up your team accordingly to maximise the positive and minimise the negatives.

Rennie I think will concentrate on stop loosing goals and therefore pick up points while he works out a way to somehow make a competitive team out of what we have.

Guest Back Post Misses
1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Watching the replay, I thought Martin should have done better with Clyde’s winner !!

4805677B-80C5-4752-B12D-A9F16CDCDABB.gif

Lettuce wrists. The guy is not good enough. The sooner Mutch is fit the better

Guest Ecosse83
29 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Goodwillie speculation is not just on P and B.
Daily Record also reporting it too….
Appreciate that doesn’t make it so!!…

Ah fair enough didn’t know they were reporting it. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
On 23/12/2021 at 20:10, brokeville said:

Same time last year we had 1025 in hospital. Given the hysteria from the government and media I’m not sure even with the new variant we’ll hit that this year. Hopefully I’m right.

If we don’t I see no reason that the 500 spectator limit is increased for our next home game. emoji1694.png

Just looking at the numbers today. 810 people in hospital. Intensive care numbers are rising too. Again, I hope I’m not right but suspect that will only rise and possibly go beyond the 1,000 mark. 

Can’t see the restrictions being lifted by the end of January if this continues. 

7 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Just looking at the numbers today. 810 people in hospital. Intensive care numbers are rising too. Again, I hope I’m not right but suspect that will only rise and possibly go beyond the 1,000 mark. 

Can’t see the restrictions being lifted by the end of January if this continues. 

Did you not see the interview between Martin Geissler and Yousaf last night?

He couldn’t say how many of those 800 were in because of Covid or were found to have Covid once in hospital.

Absolutely useless. Also he couldn’t say how many of the deaths were down to Omicron.

Vital information which he couldn’t respond to.

Restrictions should be lifted NOW.

3 hours ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Guys like Pep and Klopp, say f**k it, we play this way - no matter what. They can do this because they have great players  but Even Rodgers and Ange at Celtic played one way and look at the results in Europe.

People forget Alex Ferguson played to get results, he played John O’Shea and other defenders in midfield to shithouse his way to a result away from home.

We need to play to get results, forget this controlling the game and having a lot of the ball. Get the ball up the pitch as quickly as possible. Even if ball goes out for a throw in near the corner flag - we can pressure from there. Keep the ball as far away from our centre backs as possible.

Yep, Clyde’s second goal last week wasn’t the reward from weeks of well drilled systems at training.

Guest Caractacus Potts
13 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Did you not see the interview between Martin Geissler and Yousaf last night?

He couldn’t say how many of those 800 were in because of Covid or were found to have Covid once in hospital.

Absolutely useless. Also he couldn’t say how many of the deaths were down to Omicron.

Vital information which he couldn’t respond to.

Restrictions should be lifted NOW.

No didn’t see it but doesn’t surprise me to hear Yousaf doesn’t have a clue! Numbers are clearly going up though so can understand them using caution even if I don’t fully agree with how they’re implementing it. Stopping football alone certainly won’t change much. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts