The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Back Post Misses
39 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

If his role is to highlight players to sign and Rennie and Miller say no to all of them then his role is pointless.

Money that all people who attend games, buy merchandise, pay for their kids to play for the youth teams etc etc contribute towards his wages and deserve more respect from the board around what his role is and what he is giving from a productive point of view.

I am not disagreeing with any of that 

Guest Caractacus Potts
48 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Where am I arguing about Holt staying? I have consistently said we need shot. FWIW why don’t you email them. You don’t have any less influence than I have. 

I don’t know the set up of the patrons but if that’s true then who do the board members represent? Would have thought you would be consulted on issues. 

Where am I arguing about Holt staying? I have consistently said we need shot. FWIW why don’t you email them. You don’t have any less influence than I have. 

Why would anyone actually NEED to email the board? If they don’t know how unpopular Holt is I’d say they are in no way attuned to the thoughts of the fans they are supposed to represent.
I certainly hope the Goodwillie rumours are not true (personally I think is nothing more than press bullshit). However if it did prove true I think it’s fair to say that they will permanently lose all credibility with the support….

Guest TedCrilly

What is Holt’s biggest blunder so far? Nominees for me are as follows:

- Brad McKay 3 year deal.

- Jaime Wilson 2 year deal.

- Ben Hall given a new contract despite consistently being dug meat at League 1 level.

- Ompreon signing after a trial.

- Missing out on Tiffoney then comparing him to Fotheringham when questioned about it. (One had played just shy of 100 games whilst the other had played 1 first team game).

It genuinely blows my mind he is still at the club.

Edited by TedCrilly

The thing is its not as cut and dried as saying to someone by the way your out a job your work is sh*te, I don't doubt there will be stuff going on behind the scenes bear in mind we have only had a new board for about 3 weeks and I dare say there will be stuff coming out day to day to show what a mess we are in.

Holt will probably be way down on the list of stuff that needs sorted out the main focus is get a team on the park that can win games, once we get that squared away then they can focus on Holt in the meantime though keep him out Rennie and Millers way let them do what needs to be done If Rennie believes he is happy to work with a SD that's fine the thing is we need a competent one.

2 minutes ago, TedCrilly said:

- Ben Hall new contract after consistently being dug meat at League 1 level.

- Missing out on Tiffoney then comparing him to Fotheringham when questioned about it. (One had played just shy of 100 games the other had played 1 first team game).

All of the above.

After reading that article with Rice it seems an easy decision to at least ask him to take over Holt’s role. He is absolutely desperate to get back into football.

That’s exactly what we need in Holt’s role. Someone who will put in the hard miles on Tuesday nights. He’s already found some gems (didn’t he recommend vaulks?) so clearly has an eye for a player. Just a far more liekable guy than Holt too, which will help with asking for loan players and getting deals over the line, and a role away from media spotlight and press interviews would be good for him I reckon. I really can’t think of many downsides to making it happen

3 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

The thing is its not as cut and dried as saying to someone by the way your out a job your work is sh*te, I don't doubt there will be stuff going on behind the scenes bear in mind we have only had a new board for about 3 weeks and I dare say there will be stuff coming out day to day to show what a mess we are in.

Holt will probably be way down on the list of stuff that needs sorted out the main focus is get a team on the park that can win games, once we get that squared away then they can focus on Holt in the meantime though keep him out Rennie and Millers way let them do what needs to be done If Rennie believes he is happy to work with a SD that's fine the thing is we need a competent one.

Sorry, I just don't understand this thinking. If Holt is our SD and MR is happy to work with him then Holt must therefore have influence on who we are recruiting, surely? So I would suggest that bulleting Holt is our first priority.

13 minutes ago, TedCrilly said:

- Ben Hall given a new contract despite consistently being dug meat at League 1 level.

- Missing out on Tiffoney then comparing him to Fotheringham when questioned about it. (One had played just shy of 100 games the other had played 1 first team game).

It genuinely blows my mind he is still at the club.

Signing his laddie

There's obviously something that's preventing them just bulleting Holt as the guys that are now in situ on the board aren't stupid and are Falkirk through and through not in a fake way either so will know how poorly he's done on recruitment up till now. At least 4 of them were fans just like us giving Holt pelters up till a month ago.  His position is obviously being marginalised till as much as possible until it's possible to get rid.  Whilst two board members represent the patrons they aren't going to be going back to the main body every two mins to take a vote on what to do next. They have been given the authority to do what is deed right by the patrons and i.would presume the fss reps are the same. The problem just now is that many have lost hope especially after Saturday. We need to see some light at the end of a bloody long tunnel and hopefully once that starts happening in January the atmosphere will start to improve. It can never be forgotten though the mess that deans and MacFarlane etc have left the club in. They should never be welcomed back to TFS again.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

There's obviously something that's preventing them just bulleting Holt as the guys that are now in situ on the board aren't stupid and are Falkirk through and through not in a fake way either so will know how poorly he's done on recruitment up till now. At least 4 of them were fans just like us giving Holt pelters up till a month ago.  His position is obviously being marginalised till as much as possible until it's possible to get rid.  Whilst two board members represent the patrons they aren't going to be going back to the main body every two mins to take a vote on what to do next. They have been given the authority to do what is deed right by the patrons and i.would presume the fss reps are the same. The problem just now is that many have lost hope especially after Saturday. We need to see some light at the end of a bloody long tunnel and hopefully once that starts happening in January the atmosphere will start to improve. It can never be forgotten though the mess that deans and MacFarlane etc have left the club in. They should never be welcomed back to TFS again.

Essentially the FSS and PG Groups have given them licence to vote as per their conscience.

I think legally, that the role of a Director has to be independent from who they represent and to act in the best interests of the club. Additionally there will be confidential information that only they know that cannot be passed on to the Groups. 

It's a difficult position to be in, as they are only there through their affiliation to either the PG or FSS. However, as you rightly stated they cant take every little matter back to the their Groups every 2 mins. It just wouldn't work.  We just need to hope that they have their finger on the pulse and have the majority of the backers in agreement with their decisions.

44 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Any manager we signed would have been a gamble and with the pile of shite we have as a first team they better have some glitter ready to polish the turd, Clyde injury ravaged squad, EF game abandoned and we are judging a manager on that get real, it would need to be easter and christ himself performing miracles with that lot. Rennie is in the same boat RM was in when he was left with Hartleys duds and trying to get a tune out of the dross.

All I will add though is added with Holts recruitment we are faced with another rebuilding job but its alright him and his laddie are untouchable no matter how sh*te the 2 of them are, waste of 2 wages.

If you read my post again you will hopefully see I specifically said he cannot be judged at this point so no idea why you are telling me to get real.

I am merely pointing it out that due to him never having coached in Scotland before it is a gamble.......and as I said one I sincerely hope pays off.

I am well aware this is probably our worst ever squad of players in our history (thanks Gary) so he has a huge job ahead of him.

Something along the lines of when Ian McCall gutted Totten's last squad & completely turned us around is required. Definitely not possible in January but hopefully in the summer. Who knows maybe 3 or 4 signings next month can still get us to the play offs this season.     

Guest Caractacus Potts
24 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I understand that but was alluding to BPMs comment about having no more influence than the next man. If that’s true then what is the point of becoming a patron? 

4 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I understand that but was alluding to BPMs comment about having no more influence than the next man. If that’s true then what is the point of becoming a patron? 

Absolutely none. Similar to joining FSS or buying shares, it's for the love of the club and purely an emotional thing.

What I hope the FSS and PG do bring is more stability and transparency, with fans at the helm rather than those who are in it for themselves.  With these Groups in-situ, it also has the potential to ward off any predatory bid to buy the club from perhaps those who we wouldnt anywhere near the Club (let's not forget Mark Campbell)

Bottom line is, unless you have several hundred thousand £'s to "gift" the club, you are not going to have any influence.