The Falkirk FC Thread

It's more transmissible on the whole but still far more transmissible indoor than out.

That’s not the point though is it? Crowds are usually larger outdoors.
If the expectation in a 50k crowd with delta is that 10 people will catch it but with Omicron it’s 2500 (just as an example), then it may go some way to explaining the concern.
The problem at the moment is that governments were caught out when COVID came to the fore leading to significant deaths and hospitalisations, so inevitably, until there’s evidence otherwise they are more likely to be even more risk averse.
Hoping we get some more positive data in the next 2 weeks but until then I guess we just have to wait and see….

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

That’s not the point though is it? Crowds are usually larger outdoors.
If the expectation in a 50k crowd with delta is that 10 people will catch it but with Omicron it’s 2500 (just as an example), then it may go some way to explaining the concern.
The problem at the moment is that governments were caught out when COVID came to the fore leading to significant deaths and hospitalisations, so inevitably, until there’s evidence otherwise they are more likely to be even more risk averse.
Hoping we get some more positive data in the next 2 weeks but until then I guess we just have to wait and see….

The numbers trooping through the likes of silverburn or braehead on a boxing day must be right up there in numbers I would've thought.

Absolutely no justification for this number.

It should have either been no fans allowed, or a % of what the stadiums can hold.

500 at Annan with the fans sitting side by side in a tiny wee stand is more likely to spread the Covid than 500 at Parkhead. 

This is a knee jerk reaction and one not well thought out. 

The Scottish Govt should look at the real areas of concern like Muppets not wearing masks on a jam packed train or schools where half the pupils haven’t been vaccinated. 

They just want to be seen doing something and footy was an easy target.

The numbers trooping through the likes of silverburn or braehead on a boxing day must be right up there in numbers I would've thought.

Agreed. But as I said it’s about balancing numbers economically against public safety and the NHS being overwhelmed.
I don’t, nor do I suspect any of us on here, have data to suggest what is right or wrong.
But I totally get why many would think it unfair or nonsensical….

8 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

Absolutely no justification for this number.

It should have either been no fans allowed, or a % of what the stadiums can hold.

500 at Annan with the fans sitting side by side in a tiny wee stand is more likely to spread the Covid than 500 at Parkhead. 

This is a knee jerk reaction and one not well thought out. 

The Scottish Govt should look at the real areas of concern like Muppets not wearing masks on a jam packed train or schools where half the pupils haven’t been vaccinated. 

They just want to be seen doing something and footy was an easy target.

The number of people not wearing masks in shops etc is getting more by the day and noone seems bothered in the shops.  I don't see it increasing any time soon unless shops start enforcing it. The more people don't wear and don't get pulled up the more other folk say well if he isn't wearing one why should I and it continues to escalate I'm afraid.

The number of people not wearing masks in shops etc is getting more by the day and noone seems bothered in the shops.  I don't see it increasing any time soon unless shops start enforcing it. The more people don't wear and don't get pulled up the more other folk say well if he isn't wearing one why should I and it continues to escalate I'm afraid.

I agree with this, but I think you just have to do what’s best to try and protect you and yours. I still wear a mask and I’ve been triple jagged, my father in law is in a nursing home and I visit him regularly so I feel I’ve got to try and do what I can to protect him and the staff there that I come into contact with. I can understand that a lot of young folk feel this isn’t an illness that affects them and I get how some of these decisions seem bizarre in that you can get more folk in shopping centres than at football grounds that are outside. I wouldn’t like to be the one having to make these decisions as you aren’t going to please everyone.

Do you happen to know whether a more virulent strain like this is much more transmissible outdoors?
It was considered very low risk for Delta for example, but I just wondered if there’s any data to suggest it’s a different issue here and that’s why there is more concern for large outdoor events?
Recent findings from S Africa suggest it is more spreadable but not outdoor . The virus is still spread through breathing in droplets from an infected person but in seems that fully vaccinated people can easily catch, have no symptoms and spread. All NHS and care staff have to LFT daily which is causing mayhem. Research has shown that catching the virus from surfaces is almost unknown and hand to hand a slight chance.
This OMICRON virus appears to be more focused on upper respiratory tract ( nose and throat ) than the lungs. It may present more like a cold so they are hoping fatalities are going to be less.

5 minutes ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

Recent findings from S Africa suggest it is more spreadable but not outdoor . The virus is still spread through breathing in droplets from an infected person but in seems that fully vaccinated people can easily catch, have no symptoms and spread. All NHS and care staff have to LFT daily which is causing mayhem. Research has shown that catching the virus from surfaces is almost unknown and hand to hand a slight chance.
This OMICRON virus appears to be more focused on upper respiratory tract ( nose and throat ) than the lungs. It may present more like a cold so they are hoping fatalities are going to be less.

Recent findings? This variant was identified 26 days ago! Classification of Omicron (B.1.1.529): SARS-CoV-2 Variant of Concern (who.int)

2 minutes ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

If you look at the case figures, they have now plateaued and are showing signs of dropping.

Deaths and hospitalisations are low.

The NHS was set up to look after the public, NOT the other way around.

Wheres the tsunami?

All the vulnerable and over 60!s have had three jabs plus the flu jab plus those that have had Covid (myself) have got additional antibodies.

That was the deal. Get vaxed and you’re free.

Instead we’re living in an authoritarian, police state where the SG decisions are not even debated in parliament (unlike Westminster).

Ive been banging on about this for years and I appreciate that this isn’t the forum but, hey, maybe it is as it’s affecting our football supporting lives.

Everyone to their own but I, for one, refuse to knuckle under to ridiculous rules and regulations.

Ive long since binned filthy masks.

Life is for living.

7 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

If you look at the case figures, they have now plateaued and are showing signs of dropping.

Wheres the tsunami?

All the vulnerable and over 60!s have had three jabs plus the flu jab plus those that have had Covid (myself) have got additional antibodies.

Instead we’re living in an authoritarian, police state where the SG decisions are not even debated in parliament (unlike Westminster).

Ive been banging on about this for years and I appreciate that this isn’t the forum but, hey, maybe it is as it’s affecting our football supporting lives.

Everyone to their own but I, for one, refuse to knuckle under to ridiculous rules and regulations.

Life is for living.

Felt my IQ dropping for every line I read of this. 

Wheres the tsunami?
Life is for living.

From the same person who made an arse of himself debating with me 18 months ago that Neil Fergusons estimate that 200k plus could die in the UK if no action is taken was nonsense.
Politely filed in the bin….

Recent findings? This variant was identified 26 days ago! Classification of Omicron (B.1.1.529): SARS-CoV-2 Variant of Concern (who.int)
Yes. The findings I heard today were from lab tests done this week in this country which backed up the SA data. The tests were lab based on tissue so they say it may be different in reality

Wheres the tsunami?
Life is for living.
I really hope you stay health because at 17.00 today there was not a vacant bed at FVRH.
Keep well DPB

My sister works at Ninewells. Seemingly, the vast majority of those presenting are unvaccinated. This is pissing the nurses off immeasurably as their time and resources are getting used up treating people who have contracted Covid as a lifestyle choice. It's like it's self-inflicted. 

They do their jobs but these people get f**k-all sympathy from health staff. 

In other news, don't think there's going to be any ballots for tickets in the near future -

Falkirk TV
22:37 (33 minutes ago)
to Falkirk, bcc: me

Dear Fellow Falkirk Fans

Thank you for your support this season purchasing a season ticket.

The vast majority of you will have not used Falkirk TV this season, however after the announcement made by the Scottish Government today, it's likely a good number of you may not be able to attend home games for the next few weeks at least.

Like last season your season ticket also allows you to watch the game via Falkirk TV, therefore find your login details for the 2021/22 season, please note any logins you had for last season are no longer valid.

Edited by Newbornbairn

My sister works at Ninewells. Seemingly, the vast majority of those presenting are unvaccinated. This is pissing the nurses off immeasurably as their time and resources are getting used up treating people who have contracted Covid as a lifestyle choice. It's like it's self-inflicted. 

They do their jobs but these people get f**k-all sympathy from health staff. 

In other news, don't think there's going to be any ballots for tickets in the near future -

Falkirk TV
22:37 (33 minutes ago)
to Falkirk, bcc: me
Dear Fellow Falkirk Fans
Thank you for your support this season purchasing a season ticket.
The vast majority of you will have not used Falkirk TV this season, however after the announcement made by the Scottish Government today, it's likely a good number of you may not be able to attend home games for the next few weeks at least.
Like last season your season ticket also allows you to watch the game via Falkirk TV, therefore find your login details for the 2021/22 season, please note any logins you had for last season are no longer valid.

unvaccinated or immunocompromised are the most admissions but there are a few poor elderly who are vaccinated but their body is too weak to deal with even mild symptoms very sad.

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

Thing is that although it may be outdoors when seated, it’s not when you’re going through turnstiles, getting a pie, going to the toilet or travelling to and from games.  There’s a lot of areas in which the virus can be spread easy. 

Do agree with Z Bairns post about it being confusing. The government just don’t want to be the ones to stop it but this 500 rule is just senseless. 

So much common sense not being applied everywhere. Even idiots now suggesting to go watch a lower attended match and not quite grasping that we should be encouraging people to stay in so that the spread can slow down and we can get back to where we were.