The Falkirk FC Thread

The new BoD have been in place one week.

The amount of bitching on here about what should be done, what should have already have been done and even who should be on the BoD is giving me arse ache.

We have had years of shambolic leadership, expecting everything to be resolved overnight is a bit naive.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

Just now, Reggie Perrin said:

The new BoD have been in place one week.

The amount of bitching on here about what should be done, what should have already be done and even who should be on the BoD is giving me arse ache.

We have had years of shambolic leadership, expecting everything to be resolved overnight is a bit naive.

I think there's only really 1 x action they need to take and they'd have universal support.  

I don’t think anything is set in stone, we have no idea who may stand in these elections come March and what there views may be. Although I’d suggest before the FSS can start having proper influence it needs to buy and secure it’s shareholding in the club to equal the patrons group and the Rawlins. It can’t do that without members 

The issue here is I am nearly ready to contribute. Personally I am just looking for something from this board that gives me confidence that they are the people to finally get behind.
That may take a month or two, maybe more, but ultimately I think your best bet to get more members in, is to get the board to come out with some early plans that can get us all motivated and onboard…

10 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Thanks, I didn't know that - this should be all over the FSS literature that we need to hit a certain % to encourage others to sign up. 

Its a much stronger argument to say we need sign ups to hit a certain % for the 2 board spots to be meaningful.  

Perhaps your right, You may have stumbled on a good idea here, setting percentage targets publicly for fans to hit regarding ownership by a set date may help encourage folk. I know Stuart Adam is a member on this forum so will most likely pick up in this. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Guest Ecosse83

I wonder if Holt is doing more behind the scenes that we don’t get to see and has impressed the new directors? That’s not me making excuses for Holt but it’s 1 possible explanation as to why he is still here! 

Good to see a nice early update from the club with Rennie taking training, exactly the content and updates I want to be seeing 👏

Dont we, as fans already pay to have an opinion? The emergence of the FSS seems to have come hand in hand with join or shut up.....

Not how it works unfortunately. I dont want to have to lobby or pay extra for Holt to be gone. He should be gone because of horrific performance and disrespect to the fans.

Most folk that have been emptied have had one or other of those going on, he has both and is still in post on a cracking wedge.

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

This.

Here are my issues with Holt:

1)      All he had to do was get us 2 points to get into the play offs last season and he failed miserably – 2 points!

2)      He was responsible for signing a lot of our current team who are performing poorly on the pitch.

3)      He is culpable for recruiting Paul Sheerin as our Head Coach – enough said.

It is obvious to a blind man that Holt is the main reason that we are in the state that we are in.

So, when the new board members came onboard, while I am aware that they aren’t the Navy Blue Group, I really thought that one of their very first actions would be to sack Holt. The fact that he is still here concerns me greatly. Therefore, to repeat myself, until the Board gains my confidence by ditching Holt, I’ll hold fire on opening up my wallet. I need to know that they can see what so many of us can see.

I agree with these issues but IMHO you've missed 2 further key ones,  not just that he negotiated but the length of the contracts on poor players we are now landed with, secondly signing his own son. 

Does anyone seriously think signings made in January will not be approved by Martin Rennie and his assistant?

All this talk about whither Gary Holt should stay or go is an unnecessary distraction when we should be looking forward to a new future with a new BoD and team management.

As supporters we can play our part in whatever way you can and help lift the feel good factor of the club. We need to all pull in the same direction.

38 minutes ago, brokeville said:

Does anyone seriously think signings made in January will not be approved by Martin Rennie and his assistant?

All this talk about whither Gary Holt should stay or go is an unnecessary distraction when we should be looking forward to a new future with a new BoD and team management.

As supporters we can play our part in whatever way you can and help lift the feel good factor of the club. We need to all pull in the same direction.

I do because Martin Rennie is on a short term contract therefore his influence is diluted accordingly.

Martin Rennie and the team he puts on the pitch deserves our support. If somehow he gets the team to the playoffs Holt will take the credit if he doesn't it will be nothing to do with him. Is he that cynical ? Damn right and will have played a part in Rennie being recruited.

If would help the new boards credibility and be good PR to punt Holt now.

Case of wait and see !

1 hour ago, LatapyBairn. said:

The two temporary guys have been fast tracked into the board, I don’t think it’ll be properly democratic until the elections in March, nor will it be on paper until the FSS achieves its goal of 26%. Also until the FSS has at least a 20% shareholding it is actually possible(very unlikely any of the new blood within the club at present would commit such suicide) for the two directors to be removed. A 10% shareholding guarantees a board seat, the FSS needs to play its part and become a full partner here by actual owning a part of the club and not just being given a voice as a gesture.  

I think it's pretty clear that change has already happened.  The 2 Temporary FSS Directors have been fast tracked onto the Board without the necessary % in shares yet being achieved. This has been a key point of the "3 legged stool" model.  They will be replaced once elections are organsied to nominate suitable candidates from within the FSS membership. I think this will be some time early next year once the FSS is fully established and up and running properly. This shows how seriously committed the club is to making the fans membership model work.

We are now seing a dramatic shift in the governance of the club away from a Gary Deans and pals scenario to one that has well known and respected Falkirk fans taking the lead, from all sections of the fan base with the 2 FSS and 2 Patrons. At the moment, this gives a majority in the Boardroom of fans to make the decisions needed to take our club forwards. Knowing all those involved, I have confidence that the decisions made will be in the best interests of the club rather than individuals who used the club to enhance their personal CV. 

The one point I want to make, is that if we want to see this work, we need as many fans signing up to both the Patrons and FSS Groups ASAP.  The alternative is the unthinkable in that we go back to the previous scenario's of MSG's not caring or allowing the club to be a plaything for certain individuals. 

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Thanks, I didn't know that - this should be all over the FSS literature that we need to hit a certain % to encourage others to sign up. 

Its a much stronger argument to say we need sign ups to hit a certain % for the 2 board spots to be meaningful.  

We’ve said in comms that we eventually want to hit 25% ownership so that we have effective veto over special resolutions. The point of that is to protect the club from far-reaching decisions, such as overall ownership, restructuring or turning us into Livi. However sitting alongside the patrons’ we will have that soon enough. Under the current model, 750,000 shares are available for us to buy, on top of the 90k we already own.  On current trajectory, we’ll have around 240/250k by the end of next month.  It’s a decent start but there’s a long way to go. 

It’s not semantics to say that the board spots aren’t “meaningful” but the second slot could be described as vulnerable to FSS failing or larger shareholders changing their minds. The directors hold equal weight to the other four. With more members and investment, they’d hold greater moral authority, but they have no less power than any other director.  It’s true that under the current rules, 10% gives you the right to a board seat.  Equally, having under 10% doesn’t preclude you, it just means you need to maintain support of the board and/or enough shareholders.  We’re in a fortunate position that all three legs of the stool - however imbalanced in terms of shareholding - want the concept to work. Even if that changed, it’d be a brave board or large shareholder that tried to overturn the directorships, unless FSS failed dramatically. 

The quicker we increase our membership and shareholding, the safer the concept.  It’s a longer term project, but the opportunity to cement fan involvement is now.  We won’t get everything we want and our directors obviously can’t communicate everything they try to do because of their legal duties, which will understandably frustrate people who want action on specific issues.  I obviously respect everyone’s reasons for investing or holding back - no judgement from me. That’s why we’re taking the “does what it says on the tin” approach and explaining clearly what you’re buying into with FSS, so you know whether or not it’s for you. 

6 minutes ago, superandy_07 said:

On 10/12/2021 at 14:07, Believe The Hype said:

Kenny miller/Martin rennie combo

Eta: im not saying that's what I want. Can see it as an option though. 

Anyone want the lottery numbers? 😂

FYI I am not ITK or claim to be, was just my first thought as soon as I heard Rennie mentioned. Happy enough with that. 

40 minutes ago, brokeville said:

I've seen the expression "we all need to pull in the same direction" used several times tonight, I'm as guilty as the next poster because I've even used it myself, but what does it really mean? We are all starting to sound like vague politicians who spout words but who never actually say anything. Does anybody remember this episode of Cheers? If you don't want to watch it all, go to 0:45 to 1.00 and then from 1:42 to 2:12.

By the way, for me it means us all wanting Gary Holt trebucheted.

Anyone want the lottery numbers? [emoji23]
FYI I am not ITK or claim to be, was just my first thought as soon as I heard Rennie mentioned. Happy enough with that. 
At least its Rennie/Miller and not the other way round....

I dont like Kenny Miller, and he will no doubt remain a Sevco cheerleader in the media at every turn, which will bug the tits off me, but willing to put it to one side.

On the plus side, hes a player that will command respect for what he achieved from those who grew up watching him I suppose, which is a fair chunk of the pool we are fishing in.

It's not just Holt 'the man' though - all his numerous failings have been listed by many on here, including myself, time and time again, so there is no need to do it again. His continued presence at the club appears indicative of what direction the new board want to take us in. 

If new members of the board want to get everyone behind them, getting rid of Holt is an open goal - he is wildly unpopular among the majority of the support, many of whom would celebrate his departure. By keeping of him - and also appearing to attempt to re-write his role in the Sheerin debacle (to me, Sheerin and Holt come as a package and should have been booted together) - it sends out a very confusing message to those of us who thought this was a clean break and a fresh start. If this is indeed the case, why are you keeping one of, if not THE most unpopular member of the old regime? It makes little sense.

To those who say Holt is a side issue - how can you possibly say this? Fans are telling you him still being there is a big deal - perhaps you should listen to them?! He has failed in his role and is undoubtedly part of the absolute shambles we have seen unfold this season. Nearly everyone has got their jotters, why hasn't he? If, as some suggest, he plays a big role in the running of the club 'behind the scenes', then he's being kept on against the vast majority of the fans wishes. If he's a 'distraction',  plays minor role or does a series of tasks that could be done by others, then surely getting rid of him should cause little to no issue in the day-to-day running of the club? You can't have it both ways. 

It just seems like such an easy thing for the new board to do to get everyone on the same side. I appreciate they are new in the door and it may take time. However, doubling down on an issue such as this just seems counterproductive and delays everyone pulling together. I remain hopeful they will do the right thing.

Edited by 18BAIRN76