The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I don’t see why we always feel the need to abuse anyone on here who has an alternative view.

Well I do, f*ck off😁

No, you're right, it would be good to see some info forthcoming from the new board, particularly in regard to Holt's position.

8 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I don’t see why we always feel the need to abuse anyone on here who has an alternative view.
Frankly there are a number of valid points in there and it’s not unreasonable that if the BoD or others are calling for investment they come up with some information to provide us with confidence.
Personally, I’m ok with the manager choice but not if he’s going to have to rely on Holt for new signings.
It would be good to see some information on early strategy etc from the new board this week….

I think they (new BoD) are meeting fans in the south stand tonight, hopefully a bit more info to come out.

Just now, Bairn in Exile said:

Well I do, f*ck off😁

No, you're right, it would be good to see some info forthcoming from the new board, particularly in regard to Holt's position.

I don't think its going to be as cut and dried as hoping in regards to terminating Holt to come out with your an arrogant and a bit of a bawbag not to mention your recruitment is sh*te probably isn't the greatest grounds for dismissal

1 minute ago, AL-FFC said:

I don't think its going to be as cut and dried as hoping in regards to terminating Holt to come out with your an arrogant and a bit of a bawbag not to mention your recruitment is sh*te probably isn't the greatest grounds for dismissal

I would suggest that's the best reason for getting rid of him, surely?

1 hour ago, champions said:

This message reeks of failure and mediocrity.  You and your pals are in charge of the club now, its time to step up and lead us out of this mess.  As yet we have had no statement of intent from the new Bod, no chairman has been appointed, we've had an utterly bizarre managerial announcement late on Friday.  The appointment itself is absurd, we've plucked a guy from assisting the Notre Dame womens team, a guy who doesnt know the team, the league, possible transfer targets etc and we're basically now relying on Gary Holt to identify players.  The fact we've given him a 6 month deal also shows that the new BoD dont have full faith in his abilities.  The fans have no idea when he is due to start either but I'm assuming it's the end of this week, which means he'll only have a days training with them.  Throw in the fact that the players xmas party must have been sanctioned by the BoD and the revelations from loser Grainger that we only train twice a week, it raises the question of what the hell is going on at the stadium and why have you and your mates not got a handle on things?

And this free hit chat is utter bollocks, there should be no such thing as a free hit in this league, if Deans came out with that he'd be lambasted. Per the FH the patron money of £220k was going towards the January window, add in a further 30k from BFL that's a hell of sum that a decent manager, who has experience of what is required could use to get us out of this league.

Let it go Gary.

1 hour ago, Ecosse83 said:

Don’t agree with the free hit stuff, yes the squad is poor but surely any manager worth their salt will get more from them than Sheerin and Grainger. 

Having watched the bottom end of the Championship play the play offs have to be a realistic target, we’re 17 games into the new season and no way should we give up already! 

The trick is getting a formation that screws the very best out of what we have. Mediocre from front to back suspect Rennie will set up not to lose goals. Stop losing goals you pick up points and take it from there.

Guest Back Post Misses
1 hour ago, champions said:

This message reeks of failure and mediocrity.  You and your pals are in charge of the club now, its time to step up and lead us out of this mess.  As yet we have had no statement of intent from the new Bod, no chairman has been appointed, we've had an utterly bizarre managerial announcement late on Friday.  The appointment itself is absurd, we've plucked a guy from assisting the Notre Dame womens team, a guy who doesnt know the team, the league, possible transfer targets etc and we're basically now relying on Gary Holt to identify players.  The fact we've given him a 6 month deal also shows that the new BoD dont have full faith in his abilities.  The fans have no idea when he is due to start either but I'm assuming it's the end of this week, which means he'll only have a days training with them.  Throw in the fact that the players xmas party must have been sanctioned by the BoD and the revelations from loser Grainger that we only train twice a week, it raises the question of what the hell is going on at the stadium and why have you and your mates not got a handle on things?

And this free hit chat is utter bollocks, there should be no such thing as a free hit in this league, if Deans came out with that he'd be lambasted. Per the FH the patron money of £220k was going towards the January window, add in a further 30k from BFL that's a hell of sum that a decent manager, who has experience of what is required could use to get us out of this league.

I guess you are entitled to your opinion as we all are but I think let’s get one or two things clear. 

1. Me or my mates are not running the club. I am a Patron like another 20 or so guys who have elected two Board members. They are working beside the FSS and two other directors to take the club forward. No one has control - that is the whole point of the model. Working together. I have no more or less say than any other patron or fan. 

2.The new Board started last Tuesday. In that time by the looks they have spent all that time hiring a new manager. Player Christmas Parties, Grainger's training last week I am sure wasn’t at the top of their list. 

3.The free hit is MY interpretation not fact. What I like about it is that IF Rennie fails we are not stuck with an expense as previous Boards have left us with. Personally - only my opinion - I think he will do well as will his choice of number 2 if the rumours are correct. 

4. Rennie’s track record is way better than Brian Rice as a manager and his knowledge of both our team and Scottish football will be much better than most people will know I would suggest. 

Anyway a final observation from me. You come across as hoping that the new structure and ownership model fails than the club being successful or you would recognise how horrifically the previous regime has performed and give the new guys more than 5 minutes before slaughtering them. 

If we don’t pull together nothing will change and we will eat ourselves alive. 

2 hours ago, 60`s bairn said:

That`s the position I`d like to have seen Brian Rice in rather than Manager. He`s got a good eye for a player & lots of contacts here and down south.

I’m not so sure about this……

Could you give me examples of both aspects please?

(Genuine request, not just trying to be a smart**se).

6 hours ago, HonestAl said:

I’m not so sure about this……

Could you give me examples of both aspects please?

(Genuine request, not just trying to be a smart**se).

Not a problem, several of the players we brought up from England when he was here as assistant were sourced through his contacts down south.

I was working at the Club during that period which is why I know that.

We also got tips on players after he left (during Pressley`s time)and was watching games down south. Vaulks is an example of that. He saw him playing for Tranmere in a reserve match and tipped us off.

Great pals with Stuart Pearce among others.

Edited by 60`s bairn
Spelling

Does anyone know if Martin Rennie has actually started yet? If not when is he likely take over?
I would expect Grainger to exit as the same time?
We need a new broom to come in sweep clean so that should see Holt’s head disappear through the door, that is what I would expect but I get the feeling he has managed to avoid that hook. I’m hoping I’m wrong!

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I guess you are entitled to your opinion as we all are but I think let’s get one or two things clear. 

1. Me or my mates are not running the club. I am a Patron like another 20 or so guys who have elected two Board members. They are working beside the FSS and two other directors to take the club forward. No one has control - that is the whole point of the model. Working together. I have no more or less say than any other patron or fan. 

If we don’t pull together nothing will change and we will eat ourselves alive. 

Sorry but aren't the two FSS appointees also Patrons as are Gordon Wright and Ronnie Bateman ?

https://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/2021/12/02/club-update-new-faces-to-join-falkirk-fc-board-of-directors/

Whilst the two FSS appointees we are told are temporary it seems to me that regardless the Patrons group are effectively running the club via their appointments to the BOD and will be for some time - certainly until the end of the season. Whilst I'd prefer that the FSS appointees weren't also patrons that's water under the bridge for now.

Fair play to all the Patrons for putting their own money in so absolutely it is right they have some members on the BOD but all of them - looking from the outside it does seem to concentrate a lot of power in one group ?

I fully accept the new BOD needs time to sort the club out however we have two weeks until the transfer window opens with a new manager incoming this week. I think we can all agree that the curent squad won't win the league, and given the last few week's performances won't make the play-offs (at the right end of the table) unless the new manager can work some minor miracle without new recruits.

On that basis I don't think it unreasonable for fans to have some concerns about who may be identifying January signing targets given our recent history, and without knowing more about Martin Rennie's current knowledge of Scottish lower league players.

That's not a criticism just a genuine concern as I think his appointment is the right one given all the circumstances.

I agree we all need to pull in the same direction but I do think perhaps we need to hear something shortly from the patron's group/new BOD given the above. Perhaps tonight's meeting will go some way towards that if I understood what was said when the meeting was announced.

Edited by Davffc
word added

Hopefully there'll be an announcement tomorrow, at least giving details of when Rennie will start but hopefully also confirming Holt has gone.  
Appreciate the new board will be busy but wouldn't take 5mins for Swinney to rattle out an email update. 

Thank you for that!

Having been heavily sceptical since the announcement I'll admit I'm warming to Rennie.  Having listened and watched some of the content online he's participated in he appears to talk-the-talk and any viewer couldn't help but be enthused and impressed by him.

I still think he has a job on his hands and from outside looking in I'd also suggest the board have competing agendas to resolve before we see green shoots of recovery.

If - and it's still a big IF in my view - he can follow through on the approach and ideas he clearly believes in then we'll be in a better place than now.