The Falkirk FC Thread

They shouldn’t be away partying in Liverpool. Without a doubt. f**k all to do with covid, and all to do with performances and position, night out should have been cancelled because they’re SHITE. 

3 hours ago, kiddy said:

There is absolutely no need for Holt's position. The Head Coach & Youth Coach should be reporting directly to the CEO in Swinney.

Rennie should be identifying targets & Swinney should be doing the number crunching, as the day-to-day MD.

Totally correct, but that’s for a pukka CEO. Mr Swinney is a very long way from a pukka CEO.

Due to the prolonged depressing downward spiral we find ourselves in I have been drawn more and more to watching happier FFC times on YouTube recently.

this afternoon I watched a few of the games from the 90/91 season including the two airdrie away games which we won 3-1 and 3-0 coyle playing for airdrie) and our first ever live game v ayr (4-1). 

quite a few things stood out. interestingly I had forgotten Jeffries lost his first 3 league games in charge (in case rennie needs a precedent!) and quickly turned it round with some amazing signings like Tommy mcqueen from West ham, Eddie may, Alex Taylor and of course Simon stainrod,  who was captain.

another was how the rules have changed, only 2 subs, both outfield so (for younger bairns) outfield player had to go in goal if goalie went off. the pass back rule to the goalie still existed.  the refs looked much older, less fit and let some tasty tackles go. obviously great to see the old terracing too.

it was also interesting to see how much the crowd grew from the first airdrie away game to the second. it shows if falkirk can get a good team on the park and play entertaining football the crowds will follow to away games. jock brown in the commentary said 6000 falkirk fans had travelled to airdrie (I loved those games at Broomfield). 

compared to todays team we had utter creative quality (stainrod, Taylor, may, mcwilliams, mcgivern etc) and power in the likes of yogi, baptise, Neil Duffy. clever defenders like mcqueen and smith. 

no director of football required to sign a team of absolute behemoths! Great Post match interviews from God and Jeffries.  mcgivern saying away fans more forgiving than home ones, not much changed in 30 years then!

10 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Due to the prolonged depressing downward spiral we find ourselves in I have been drawn more and more to watching happier FFC times on YouTube recently.

this afternoon I watched a few of the games from the 90/91 season including the two airdrie away games which we won 3-1 and 3-0 coyle playing for airdrie) and our first ever live game v ayr (4-1). 

quite a few things stood out. interestingly I had forgotten Jeffries lost his first 3 league games in charge (in case rennie needs a precedent!) and quickly turned it round with some amazing signings like Tommy mcqueen from West ham, Eddie may, Alex Taylor and of course Simon stainrod,  who was captain.

another was how the rules have changed, only 2 subs, both outfield so (for younger bairns) outfield player had to go in goal if goalie went off. the pass back rule to the goalie still existed.  the refs looked much older, less fit and let some tasty tackles go. obviously great to see the old terracing too.

it was also interesting to see how much the crowd grew from the first airdrie away game to the second. it shows if falkirk can get a good team on the park and play entertaining football the crowds will follow to away games. jock brown in the commentary said 6000 falkirk fans had travelled to airdrie (I loved those games at Broomfield). 

compared to todays team we had utter creative quality (stainrod, Taylor, may, mcwilliams, mcgivern etc) and power in the likes of yogi, baptise, Neil Duffy. clever defenders like mcqueen and smith. 

no director of football required to sign a team of absolute behemoths! Great Post match interviews from God and Jeffries.  mcgivern saying away fans more forgiving than home ones, not much changed in 30 years then!

Sammy donated his hat trick ball from the Airdrie game to a race night well ran to raise funds for Gordon McFarlane,Sammy is a gent.

Do we think those now on the board are quite aware how toxic Holt is with the support and how important his departure is to pulling us all in the same direction? I was thinking of emailing the club but wasn't sure there is much point.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

1 minute ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Do we think those now on the board are quite aware how toxic Holt is with the support and how important his departure is to pulling us all in the same direction? I was thinking of emailing the club but wasn't sure there is much point.

I think even the old board knew how toxic he was, mind when Deans introduced him at the Q and A with “This will be the test” 

1 hour ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

My first season going to (mainly home) games aged 8 and thought it was always going to be like this. Then as the 90s wore on there was the prospect of moving into a new stadium (my vision was a McDiarmid Park style stadium, packed to the rafters, as we competed well in the Premier League….).

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

They shouldn’t be away partying in Liverpool. Without a doubt. f**k all to do with covid, and all to do with performances and position, night out should have been cancelled because they’re SHITE. 

Obvious this lot couldn't care less about Falkirk. 9 goals conceded without reply against Queen Park and Cove says it all. 

Also, absolutely moronic to do it when football games are already being postponed here due to covid!  

Guest FFC1965
33 minutes ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

Question? ( not a statement ) What should Martin Rennie do first that can make a difference?

1.  Establish who in the current squad is worth saving - it will require a quick assessment then a brutal "you have no future here, you better leave" message to the likes of Hetherington, McGuffie McKay etc.

2.  Make contact with *anybody* who would improve the team.  Im just an old fart with a terrible memory but Id start with the following (all of whom would be an improvement) 

- Paul Watson

- Chris Erskine 

- Kris Doolan 

William Edjenguele

- Alex Jakubiak 

- Stefan Scougall 

46 minutes ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

Question? ( not a statement ) What should Martin Rennie do first that can make a difference?

Get the defense sorted out. We stop losing goals we scrape draws while he gets the midfield and forwards sorted out

If we get into a relegation dogfight we ain't got the bottle to win it.

If that means a 4-5-1 and play a 1960's Italian mindset so be it.

Avoiding the playoffs is as much as we can hope for

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

Stupid ! if the squad come down with Covid there will be hell to pay.

When does Rennie arrive to take up his position ?

3 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Totally correct, but that’s for a pukka CEO. Mr Swinney is a very long way from a pukka CEO.

He also has nothing to do with that side of the business. No idea what you expect him to do since he has no authority over Holts position

Are we definitely sure the players went out on the lash in Liverpool last night?  That is absolutely fucking mental.  They've lost the last two games by a combined score of 9-0.  

Punt the lot of them.

1 minute ago, joozy said:

Are we definitely sure the players went out on the lash in Liverpool last night?  That is absolutely fucking mental.  They've lost the last two games by a combined score of 9-0.  

Punt the lot of them.

I’m not saying I agree but they’re entitled to have a Xmas night out. 

Is a boss allowed to tell an employee they’re not invited to the works night out because they’re underperforming? The guys are allowed their own personal time and let’s not forget, this is just a job to them. 

3 minutes ago, Rocco said:

I’m not saying I agree but they’re entitled to have a Xmas night out. 

Is a boss allowed to tell an employee they’re not invited to the works night out because they’re underperforming? The guys are allowed their own personal time and let’s not forget, this is just a job to them. 

It speaks massively about their professional pride imo.  It also speaks volumes about the culture within the broader organisation.  Christ, can you imagine the reaction of some of our past managers if the players had said they were away on a party weekend after the performances of the last few weeks.

3 hours ago, Beaver The Bairn said:

Paddy Martin panics at everything, Ben Hall is shocking, McCann gets no help from Morrison. Where does Nesbitt play? He’s wearing 10 but doesn’t play there. Telfer is the only one who doesn’t hide and can pass a ball and that’s why I’d have him at DM. What does Keena do? He doesn’t hold the ball up or run in behind.

We have zero structure or shape, there are no patterns of play.

Rennie has an enormous job on his hands and he does not have the tools, currently, to do it. 

Just listened to Rennies interview on the PF podcast - My conclusion is he is very smart and will be a big success at Falkirk - he may need to stabilize the club before putting his stamp on it but I congratulate the new board for making this bold appointment- onwards and upwards I hope