The Falkirk FC Thread

Interested in this pick. Rennie’s name came up a year or two ago in a couple of searches, but with U.S. salary numbers wide-ranging, there was speculation that it might be a bit of a reach. Makes me wonder if this is a “special deal” that lets him get his nose under the side of the fitba tent in exchange for a lower than market deal. Then, if he lives up to his potential, it’s pay the man or he can likely take a choice of several jobs after the season. It would still be a win for Falkirk, but a body blow if he ran a successful campaign and was teased away.

3 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Nothing says confidence in an appointment like announcing it at 11pm on a Friday night. 

Watch Grainger's interview released earlier, they could have announced Jim Leishman after that and it would have been an improvement 😉

A bit of an out there appointment, he does have a wealth of experience albeit in soccer. The main thing is it's league one and being above average with our budget should see success. I'd be more concerned if it was championship level we were at.

We can't get any worserer surely ?

Good luck to Martin Rennie in his new post I hope he does well. like others have said there was no one on the bookie list that filled me with confidence so this appointment at least isn't lazy and obvious. the most important thing is the players believe in him and his tactics.  I think it's important he gets off to a good start.

the elephant in the room is still Holt. it's now mid December and we are a couple of weeks away from going into a new transfer window. are we seriously going to let him loose on another transfer window with fans hard earned cash? and if not why is he still in place?

5 hours ago, Blame Me said:

They're not going to list his failures tho are they. It's like showreels for players - only the best bits and outrageous skill but never them falling on their arse.

Win ratio for Chipper 24.7/9%,  Rennie 53% regardless its still a big jump also when you look at Livvy the suggestion at the time was that Martindale was the brains and not Hopkin and Holt and i would say that one has pretty much been proven.

just because he hasn't coached in Scotland or been a coach elsewhere doesn't mean he is going to be a failure.

Quite happy to see how the appointment of Rennie goes. Looks like the job is a free hit for the guy, as it stands we won’t win the league, and unlikely to get through the playoffs if we got into them. 

IF we got to January 6-7 points behind the leader and got signings right there might be a slight chance of making something out of this season.

Hopefully Rennie has the final word on signing players and may have a few gems he could call on for 6 months mercenary work. 

7 hours ago, PB1994 said:

This very much has a glass to Aberdeen vibe to me.

Granted I’ve no idea who he is and what he has achieved in the US so it could well be a great appointment. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

He's at least managed an MLS first team whilst glass had only ever manager reserves.  Who knows what we'll see over the next 6 months.

Throughout Scottish football we’ve all moaned for a while about the same old names like Duffy, Yogi, Wright, McIntyre constantly getting jobs in Scottish football without having a great deal of success or actually introducing any new or innovative tactics or ideas.

Recently we’ve seen a slight, but in my opinion, much needed shift in attitudes with the introduction of coaches with different ideas and experiences such as Glass and Postecoglu. Ok, both of those guys have had some initial challenges however both are very bloody minded in bringing a specific style of football to their clubs.

Neither of those guys had any experience of Scottish football however had extensive knowledge of coaching and have a wealth of experience of football/soccer.

Both of those guys were also brought in as their respective clubs were not where their fans expected them to be, squads needing an overhaul and the clubs whole football philosophy needing reviewed.

I’m not suggesting for a minute that Falkirk are in the same league (you know what I mean) as either Aberdeen or Celtic however Postecoglu and Glass (more recently) have got the Celtic and Dons fans excited again and have also got the players looking like they are enjoying playing for them.

I am genuinely really excited about this appointment in a way I wasn’t with Hartley, McKinnon, M&M or Sheerin.

Yes, there is a risk it won’t work out, there always is, but let’s hope that Martin can bring a shift in mentality and style to the playing side which will result in a change in the mood in the stands.

For the first time in a long, long time I’m feeling really positive as a Falkirk fan - and I bloody love it.

I listened to Rennie on a northeast podcast called Northern Goal a few months back and was really impressed with how he came across. He has good contacts i'm led to believe and although no Scottish football managerial experience he's got a proven track record of success. Sounds like a winner to me.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9ub3J0aGVybmdvYWwucG9kYmVhbi5jb20vZmVlZC54bWw/episode/bm9ydGhlcm5nb2FsLnBvZGJlYW4uY29tL2VmOGFmNTcwLTU0OTEtMzQ5ZC04ZjFkLTE1NDkxMjIzMjE3Yw?ep=14

Last time I'll mention it, but I was best mates at School with Martin.  We lost touch when we left School and I haven't spoken to him since but still pretty mental for me he's now managing the club.   Probably been mentioned elsewhere that he was a big Falkirk fan(think he was Ballboy at one point)....  In fact I dont imagine many previous managers have been on the Elliots supporters bus which he sometimes went on with a few of us in the early 90s.  The one game that sticks out is 1991 v Partick Thistle away(1-1 I think it finished?).  Loads of trouble after the game and the bus windows got put in -Martin was with me on the bus that day definitely.   

Not an exciting story I know but still pretty mad to think he's now at the helm!

Good luck to him..he's going to need it!

6 minutes ago, fuzzydunlop said:

Last time I'll mention it, but I was best mates at School with Martin.  We lost touch when we left School and I haven't spoken to him since but still pretty mental for me he's now managing the club.   Probably been mentioned elsewhere that he was a big Falkirk fan(think he was Ballboy at one point)....  In fact I dont imagine many previous managers have been on the Elliots supporters bus which he sometimes went on with a few of us in the early 90s.  The one game that sticks out is 1991 v Partick Thistle away(1-1 I think it finished?).  Loads of trouble after the game and the bus windows got put in -Martin was with me on the bus that day definitely.   

Not an exciting story I know but still pretty mad to think he's now at the helm!

Good luck to him..he's going to need it!

Give him a call for old times' sake and tell him to drop Hetherington and to play 2 up front.

Behind this appointment too and pleased its not Rice or one of the usual names.  

Success is a very low bar at the moment so he has a very good chance of succeeding.  Holt needs to go though - unlikely Rennie will have brilliant knowledge of the lower leagues and so he needs a sporting director who knows what they're talking about and can help instead of hinder him.