The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Baxters Wynd said:

Thanks for the info.  I have no doubts that the supporters group and the Patrons have the very best intentions.  As I put in my original post I don’t want to be discussing governance.  I’m not qualified.

We each of us has to look at the situation and form a view.  I only put the post up to share my view because my wife was making it clear that she was tiring of my chuntering.  I understand the desire to produce a united front and that “we are all in it together”.  

I don’t think we are all in it together.  Gary Deans is now a pantomime villain whilst two others who sat with him on the board appear to be being absolved of all blame.  The board as a whole should take the blame for their poor leadership.  

I do not agree that being a Patron or an FSS member goes both ways.  The Patrons have each put in 10K.  To be an FSS member costs a tenner.

Either the FSS is a separate and distinct group or it isn’t.  If it becomes clear that you are happy for Patrons to stand for election then I will not join the FSS.  

However you are on entirely safe ground.  Whoever leads the club can only improve on the shambles that has taken place over the last several decades.  Sitting in a cul-de-sac of a ground that the club will never own being about the most galling.

I do hope that you are successful and can only apologise for forming a faction…….of one😄

I think you made a lucid and viable point that everyone needs to be aware of. For me at this moment in time, for the first time in the last couple of years, the sun might not be shining, but the big dark brooding clouds that have enveloped the club might actually be thinning out. They aren’t going to be chased away in a day, but we have to hope that finally this might be the start of something we can all get behind.

Just now, SirJimmyofNic said:

Out if curiosity who's in charge if the team for your game on Saturday ???

Don’t know, but if needs be, I’ll have a bash at it.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

At least give things 5 minutes to settle. I am sure the structure will settle down in time. 

That's the important thing for me too. This opportunity had to be taken to get fans representation on the Board (we have seen FFC boards manage to wriggle out of fans input on many occasions). 

As an aside, In an ideal world once everything has settled down, I think it would be nice to have the directors from FSS to be representative of the wider organisation, and consequently the wider fanbase. The sort of people who wouldn't have a spare 10k to put into the patreons. End of the day though if the current guys chosen to represent FSS do a good job of it then why would it need to be changed. 

23 minutes ago, Baxters Wynd said:

Thanks for the info.  I have no doubts that the supporters group and the Patrons have the very best intentions.  As I put in my original post I don’t want to be discussing governance.  I’m not qualified.

We each of us has to look at the situation and form a view.  I only put the post up to share my view because my wife was making it clear that she was tiring of my chuntering.  I understand the desire to produce a united front and that “we are all in it together”.  

I don’t think we are all in it together.  Gary Deans is now a pantomime villain whilst two others who sat with him on the board appear to be being absolved of all blame.  The board as a whole should take the blame for their poor leadership.  

I do not agree that being a Patron or an FSS member goes both ways.  The Patrons have each put in 10K.  To be an FSS member costs a tenner.

Either the FSS is a separate and distinct group or it isn’t.  If it becomes clear that you are happy for Patrons to stand for election then I will not join the FSS.  

However you are on entirely safe ground.  Whoever leads the club can only improve on the shambles that has taken place over the last several decades.  Sitting in a cul-de-sac of a ground that the club will never own being about the most galling.

I do hope that you are successful and can only apologise for forming a faction…….of one😄

Haha - I understand that all too well. Mrs A isn’t overly enamoured with the time this takes up :-)

It's a valid debate, how the organisations and their members operate and interact and one which I’m sure will continue.  Given the speed at which we had to move, I'm amazed that we managed to get to where we did. Questions like yours will have to be considered - I’m only one voice and can only explain how we got here.  Our focus was on ensuring we got good people for the interim positions, and I believe we achieved that.  The patrons process was running in parallel, so we didn’t know for certain who was or wasn’t a patron when we approached them.  We did however ask everyone we approached to confirm that they weren’t being considered for a board position via another route, which they did.

As I said, more than happy to have a chat/coffee and go over it. Thanks for the good wishes though. 

28 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Haha - I understand that all too well. Mrs A isn’t overly enamoured with the time this takes up :-)

It's a valid debate, how the organisations and their members operate and interact and one which I’m sure will continue.  Given the speed at which we had to move, I'm amazed that we managed to get to where we did. Questions like yours will have to be considered - I’m only one voice and can only explain how we got here.  Our focus was on ensuring we got good people for the interim positions, and I believe we achieved that.  The patrons process was running in parallel, so we didn’t know for certain who was or wasn’t a patron when we approached them.  We did however ask everyone we approached to confirm that they weren’t being considered for a board position via another route, which they did.

As I said, more than happy to have a chat/coffee and go over it. Thanks for the good wishes though. 

Appreciate the offer but I genuinely don’t know anything about governance so it wouldn’t be a good use of your time.  On the other hand I don’t know anything about managing a football team and that appears to have been no bar at FFC.  Perhaps you could advise where my application for the job should be sent.  Also, would I be applying for the job as manager, coach or cone spreader?

3 hours ago, Blame Me said:

I agree with most of your points except one - Sporting Director

I disagree that successful managers need to control everything. I don't think it's the role that is an issue, it's the person filling it that is the problem!

I might need my head read for writing this but there is an argument to be made that Ray MacKinnon would be better suited than Holt 🤪

RM track record of signings indicates he at least had an eye for a player. Getting a coherent team out of them was where he failed -

• Rudden
  • Lavery
  • McShane
  • McKenna
  • Doyle
  • DKD

I’m still not sure what a sporting director actually does. If it is identifying players that he recommends to the manager, then fair enough, but the final decision has to be the managers. I am old enough to remember the days when there was a selection committee who picked the team and the manager decided the tactics for that team. No manager worth his salt would want somebody else picking his team.

6 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I know people that work at Raith and have confirmed that that's about the size of it.  Anyway I doubt money will be the issue anyway.

My goodness Shadwell, you have an impressive footballing network. From folk in the FFC ticket office that give you free tickets, to your scouting reports on players and now people that work at Raith.

Give Shadwell the SD role I say!

47 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Petra would easily win, but would run into the post.

……..and the ball would spinning around somewhere around the edge of the box.

1 hour ago, STUL said:

I’m still not sure what a sporting director actually does. If it is identifying players that he recommends to the manager, then fair enough, but the final decision has to be the managers. I am old enough to remember the days when there was a selection committee who picked the team and the manager decided the tactics for that team. No manager worth his salt would want somebody else picking his team.

Thing is, that’s a great get out for a SD, and one that Holt was particularly keen for Sheerin to say in public. Why? Simply because if the team does well, Holt would make sure he is right there front and centre to say the success is based on the no-brainer stars that he gifted to Sheerin. If it goes badly, Holt will keep a huge distance between him and Sheerin, and say (as he did say) that he only offers them up, it’s Sheerin who signs them, and who then hasn’t a clue what to do with them. A no lose situation for the SD.

Its backed up by a Director at the Q&A making the point of how much better this season’s players were than last season’s by deliberately trying to pick who he thought was bad last season against who he thought was great this season. Of course, he avoided a Jaimie Wilson v Sammon. It was just more spin.

1 hour ago, STUL said:

Typically they oversee the entire football side from youth to 1st team and are there to ensure continuity across all of those areas.

Your assumptions aren't far off. At 1st team level they work with the head coach to identify players and deal with contractual aspects leaving the head coach to coach.

He'll also make decisions about who goes where in terms of loans out I'd think but again based on head coaches use of said players.

I genuinely think it's a myth that GH had any hand in selection but he did sign - it's argued out of expedience - some of the sub par players we have. That's where I believe it has all stemmed from.

As I've stated already my gripe is since he is involved in the contractual arrangements who signed off on signing his son above him?

Was just playing Warzone with my 12 year old godson, having a wee chuckle at your misfortunes - as you would do if it was ICT in the same position, and rightly so. He's not allowed to swear, so he suggested replacing "the other word for poo" with 'Falkirk'. It does work, a little bit of Falkirk came out when some c**t came out of nowhere and flashbanged the room then we had to melee him to death.

Was just playing Warzone with my 12 year old godson, having a wee chuckle at your misfortunes - as you would do if it was ICT in the same position, and rightly so. He's not allowed to swear, so he suggested replacing "the other word for poo" with 'Falkirk'. It does work, a little bit of Falkirk came out when some c**t came out of nowhere and flashbanged the room then we had to melee him to death.

This is worse than our performance on Saturday imo.

9 minutes ago, Jarballs said:

Please delete your account.