The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

All joking aside over Campell, McGlynn etc, what potential manager in their right mind would take the job on with all this boardroom turmoil going on, and also still having Holt as DOF to answer to, if he doesn't emptied 

If anything it is the opposite  of boardroom turmoil now, and I can imagine us being quite a sought after job if I am honest, potential is there.

Edited by sick boy

4 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Usual suspects of managerial failures will be banded about like Rice, Canning, McIntyre

I just thought I'd mention that Campbell, McGlynn and McCall have all been managerial failures at one point or more than once. If you want an experienced manager it will come as part of the package. 

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Is the suggestion here that Falkirk would pay off Sheerins contract, Holts contract, pay Mcglynn at least £60k per year (also factor in an assistant manager)whilst playing in League 1, with no real certainty of being out of the league next season?

Yes, regardless of this Mcglynn still wouldn’t leave your lot so don’t know why so many seem to get there knickers in a twist. 

3 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Yes, regardless of this Mcglynn still wouldn’t leave your lot so don’t know why so many seem to get there knickers in a twist. 

Certainly not the case from my point of view.  Just felt it curious that there was a genuine belief Falkirk would be that cavalier with money given their current predicament.

Signed up to FSS there, always wanted some sort of fans model and while the 3 legged stool (where 1 stool is apparently inactive/uninterested) model doesn't seem quite right to me, it genuinely looks like the best way to help the club get back on it's feet at this time.

Be really interested to know how many members it's gotten and it's plans to publicise the process etc, if it's well backed we could be onto something great.

7 minutes ago, sick boy said:

If anything it is the opposite  of boardroom turmoil now, and I can imagine us being quite a sought after job if I am honest, potential is there.

There's no doubting the potential that Falkirk have, I hope the dust settles soon and you get back on track

7 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

All joking aside over Campell, McGlynn etc, what potential manager in their right mind would take the job on with all this boardroom turmoil going on, and also still having Holt as DOF to answer to, if he doesn't emptied 

All football managers are - to a greater or lesser degree - egotists. There's not a manager in the country who wouldn't look at Falkirk and think "I could turn that around, no bother".

Now there are many who won't want it for a variety of reasons, but there'll still be a huge number of applicants. 

The problem isn't that decent managers won't want it, it's two-fold. One is finding a decent manager instead of a deluded eejit (or two) who's out of his depth. The second is that after a certain point you go through enough managers that it becomes clear the real root of the trouble lies elsewhere, and there are systemic issues (all called Gary?) that are preventing success. 

It's possible that Falkirk have managed to appoint three or four management teams on the bounce that are out of their depth and hugely underperforming solely because of their own ineptitudes, but with each passing appointment it looks less likely. 

Now obviously with the likes of Miller/McCracken and Sheerin there's a shared responsibility. You can see standalone managerial decisions that just look wrong. But is it because Sheerin is absolutely dreadful and the club just needs a fresh manager and they'll go the rest of the season undefeated, or is it that the club is such a complete basket case that no manager could win the league? The answer almost certainly lies somewhere in the middle, but nobody knows really just how close to which end.

13 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

There’ll be plenty of managers who’d be more than happy to take a full time job with Falkirk - just maybe not of the current standing you’d fancy. Any part time managers with ambitions of being full time would fancy it, I’d think, as would guys who, like Sheerin, are working full time in coaching but not as a manager - and just because he was a total diddy doesn’t mean they all will be.

Or guys like Jim McIntyre who’ve been out of work for a while, but can certainly point at something resembling success in their careers. I can’t imagine they’re inundated with offers from elsewhere so probably quite like to get back into it wherever they can.

There’s certainly options, it’s just that Falkirk seem to have consistently chosen bad ones for the last 5 years or so. 

1 hour ago, StuartA said:

Thanks for the comments about FSS interim directors.  We explained the process in our FAQ, which I've pasted below. 

The other point I'd make is that we’re keen that this isn't about factions. You're right about the numbers of patrons v directors.  I'd also say that they've likely all signed up to be FSS members too, so it goes both ways. 

We don't have a rule that excludes members of the patrons’ group from becoming FSS directors. I think it'd be a shame if we went down that route as it’d act as discouragement for those people to get involved with FSS. But you, or anyone else, are welcome to make the case from within the organisation and when we have elections next year. 

I'd be happy to discuss in more detail if you're at the AGM tonight, or any other time. 

The board asked FSA to nominate two directors following the four resignations in November. The ethos is to establish the “three legged stool” model of governance at the club, where no single group – major shareholders/external investors, medium-sized shareholders (eg patrons) or small shareholders/ordinary fans – had overall control.

As the FSS was in the process of launching, we could not credibly run elections in the few short weeks before the AGM. The current FSS committee has not been elected by a membership, so committee members have decided for ethical reasons not to put themselves forward as candidates. The tight timescale means that we would not be able to build a membership and run an election process in the few short weeks before the AGM.

We didn’t want to miss the opportunity to accelerate fans’ representation on the board, so decided to appoint interim directors who have the skills and experience to help improve the club and establish the supporter-director model while FSS gains a membership and has time to organise democratic elections for both the committee and supporter directors. The positions will last from the AGM until around June 2022, when we would conduct an election from the new FSS membership.

Thanks for the info.  I have no doubts that the supporters group and the Patrons have the very best intentions.  As I put in my original post I don’t want to be discussing governance.  I’m not qualified.

We each of us has to look at the situation and form a view.  I only put the post up to share my view because my wife was making it clear that she was tiring of my chuntering.  I understand the desire to produce a united front and that “we are all in it together”.  

I don’t think we are all in it together.  Gary Deans is now a pantomime villain whilst two others who sat with him on the board appear to be being absolved of all blame.  The board as a whole should take the blame for their poor leadership.  

I do not agree that being a Patron or an FSS member goes both ways.  The Patrons have each put in 10K.  To be an FSS member costs a tenner.

Either the FSS is a separate and distinct group or it isn’t.  If it becomes clear that you are happy for Patrons to stand for election then I will not join the FSS.  

However you are on entirely safe ground.  Whoever leads the club can only improve on the shambles that has taken place over the last several decades.  Sitting in a cul-de-sac of a ground that the club will never own being about the most galling.

I do hope that you are successful and can only apologise for forming a faction…….of one😄

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

You can surely join FSS first then become a Patron surely if you wish to invest more. It is a two way street 

Yeah, I don’t see the issue there, I don’t think being a Patron within the FSS guarantees you a seat as an FSS rep on the Board, but equally, it shouldn’t disqualify you either. The key component is that you represent the group that elects you.

Guest Ecosse83
10 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Signed up to FSS there, always wanted some sort of fans model and while the 3 legged stool (where 1 stool is apparently inactive/uninterested) model doesn't seem quite right to me, it genuinely looks like the best way to help the club get back on it's feet at this time.

Be really interested to know how many members it's gotten and it's plans to publicise the process etc, if it's well backed we could be onto something great.

How did you join this? 

8 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

There's no doubting the potential that Falkirk have, I hope the dust settles soon and you get back on track

Assuming that things don't go to shit at the AGM tonight we should have bottomed out and the next manager has a genuine opportunity to take the club back to a position of respectability.