The Falkirk FC Thread

There’s no way the new board won’t be involved in the new managers appointment. Anyone who thinks Gary Holt will make the appointment is well off the mark. The people who will be running the club have invested their own money and that makes a huge difference on the governance of our club from tomorrow. It’s exactly what we need.

18 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Aye but it could just aswell be a new head coach under a new director of football when Holt goes.

Except you can’t do that. Holt will be a member of staff and unless you can sack him for gross misconduct, then you will be making the position redundant, meaning you can’t fill it for 6 months

2 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Yep, but if your a member they are they to represent us and to get your points across and then two new supporters get in after this.

Ok doke - fair enough.

Is Nigel Serafini who was elected the same guy who’s the MD of Lothian Buses and got loads of bad publicity by taking a £45k bonus when many of the staff were on furlough ??

7 hours ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

If Rice comes in is it likely he’ll be here in 3 years time? I don’t think so.

If he somehow got us out of  this division (promoted) in that time, that would do me.

Thing is, I would like who ever takes temporary charge (we now know that's Grainger), to be in a position where we could potentially give them the gig full-time if they do well.

I wouldn't want Rice long-term because of his personal issues, his lack of success at Hamilton and the fact that he's a popular former player. (Always ends in tears)

Grainger's as good as we could expect at the moment I suppose as he knows the players and hopefully will have an idea of how to get more out of them. I just hope that the players respect and like him and will react positively to him.

Just now, Rocco said:

Except you can’t do that. Holt will be a member of staff and unless you can sack him for gross misconduct, then you will be making the position redundant, meaning you can’t fill it for 6 months

Is he a Director of Football? Or a sporting director? Or a Director of Football Operations? Or a Technical Director?

We could change the role to make it suit our actual intentions - is it to put in place a footballing structure? Manage recruitment and scouting? Set the standard and strategy entirely for the football side? 

Either way empty Holt now, what’s next is next. 

2 minutes ago, brokeville said:

There’s no way the new board won’t be involved in the new managers appointment. Anyone who thinks Gary Holt will make the appointment is well off the mark. The people who will be running the club have invested their own money and that makes a huge difference on the governance of our club from tomorrow. It’s exactly what we need.

Would agree here. Obviously matters more when there money involved and the new Board would be insane to allow a single person to handle the recruitment of the new manager. Holt should go, and the role of DoF be made redundant immediately. Always thought it a load of bollocks. Manager, assistant, and 1st team coach is all we ever need. 

2 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Thing is, I would like who ever takes temporary charge (we now know that's Grainger), to be in a position where we could potentially give them the gig full-time if they do well.

I wouldn't want Rice long-term because of his personal issues, his lack of success at Hamilton and the fact that he's a popular former player. (Always ends in tears)

Grainger's as good as we could expect at the moment I suppose as he knows the players and hopefully will have an idea of how to get more out of them. I just hope that the players respect and like him and will react positively to him.

Yes, but we just don’t know how close he was to Sheerin’s tactics (not that there were any) but you get my drift?

1 minute ago, ShaggerG said:

If they get us out of this league? Maybe.

if they win two out of their first three games? Absolutely not. We gave the chuckle brothers the full-time gig after beating a junior side and a couple of decent, but hardly inspiring, results. We all know how it ended up.

1 minute ago, ShaggerG said:

They downed tools big time, I just get the feeling that they were a pair and we might not get a bounce back, hope I'm wrong and someone inside knows more.

24 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

Please don’t say your going to pretend that it’s vastly different people.
Allowing Colborn into your gang and not emptying Holt would get this new dawn off to the worst possible start. You keep preaching this “it’s time we all stick together”. You know what needs done. 

100% agree.

If this 'new dawn' still has McFarlane,  Colborn, Wright,  Bateman, Holt and Andy Thomson involved it can get to f**k.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Yes, but we just don’t know how close he was to Sheerin’s tactics (not that there were any) but you get my drift?

Absolutely. Time will tell. 

If I was Grainger though I would immediately change to a different formation and ditch this daft playing out from the back pish, whether he agrees with it (or was even involved in introducing it) or not. That would at least show that he's trying to do something to improve things.

No thanks to Grainger. Guilt by association maybe, but sacking Sheerin and chucking it at his assistant? Not for me. Never liked the concept of a manager being emptied and the No 2 stepping up. Works occasionally - Wright following Lomas at Perth comes to mind - but more often than not is a cheap option which proves to be a disaster. It was blindingly obvious to anyone at Firhill yesterday that there was a complete breakdown between the team and coaching staff. Fresh ideas and outlook are urgently required.

28 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I thought the 2 new guys had been voted in until the end of the season already ??

Only as a temporary measure for 6 months until the FSS membership is up and running so proper elections can be held. You could sign up and vote? or even put yourself forward as a candidate. 

1 minute ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

As said before you can put Holt on gardening leave. 

No you can’t, unless it’s whilst working notice.  That would potentially be constructive dismissal.  You either sack him for gross misconduct or other breach of contractual terms (difficult to argue potentially but would depend on contract) or make the role redundant.  

Redundancy is a cheaper route to go down, but the club needs to be validly taking the post out of existence.  We can all see a valid argument for us not needing a DoF role, but it does need to be properly considered before acting.