The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, strichener said:

The point as you are well aware is that every current manager is your worst ever.

It’s a false point you are making. People talk about their living memory. They might be 20 years old, or 30, or 40, or 50, so “living memory” is not a definitive time span.

Peope commenting that Hartley is “the worst ever” may well have done so prior to experiencing McKinnon, M&M and Sheerin. That we have had four sequential failures skews thing even further. Go back as far as Houstie, and your “every current manager is your worst ever” falls apart.

59 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Tommy Younger

Sammy Kean

Tommy Younger before my time but I remember Sammy Kean. He was in charge for a season and a half. Finished mid table the first season, then John Prentice was brought in midway through the second season to rescue us as we looked like getting relegated.

The saving grace for Sammy Kean with me is that he brought Johnny Graham to the Club.👏

For a similar abysmal record to where we are now look no further than Billy Little. 77-79. Two seasons in the bottom league and looking like staying there until John Haggart was brought in.

Still amazes me that we are three days on and after that last interview, Sheerin is still here

Also agree with the view that a CEO and DoF are not needed for a League 1 team - we didn't have them when we were in the Premiership!

Definitely need a return to a coach/manager that also handles the scouting. If we ever return to the top level, maybe we can consider a CEO and DoF, but for now while we continue our sabbatical in a lower league, let's use the money more wisely - oh wait, what is our track record again?

1 hour ago, 60`s bairn said:

For a similar abysmal record to where we are now look no further than Billy Little. 77-79. Two seasons in the bottom league and looking like staying there until John Haggart was brought in.

Billy Little was before my time, but you can see him here, that dip in the late 70s when we were, er, in the same place we are now. 

2560px-Falkirk_FC_League_Performance.svg

For me, the worst manager(s) of my lifetime have been John Lambie, and the last three or four we've had. Everyone else can get a pass. 

the only manager who forced me to watch another team was Lambie after the game against stenny......i walked out after that game vowing to never watch my beloved Falkirk until he was gone.....so i watched Lithgae rose until Sir Alex Totten took over. fast forward to the Montrose game at home an I'm back there again not paying £18 to watch that imposter kid on he knows what he's doing on the touchline. 

sad times indeed.......

I'm not sure why there are so many fans of other clubs who don't seem to realise that it's perfectly possible for your "worst" manager to be replaced by someone even worse, at which point the new manager will then become the "worst".

If for some reason Falkirk gave me a game at left-back I'd automatically become the worst-ever left-back to play for them. If they then gave one of my even more overweight and less fit mates a game at left-back then they'd become the worst-ever left-back and I wouldn't be any more.

It's not difficult.

8 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I'm not sure why there are so many fans of other clubs who don't seem to realise that it's perfectly possible for your "worst" manager to be replaced by someone even worse, at which point the new manager will then become the "worst".

If for some reason Falkirk gave me a game at left-back I'd automatically become the worst-ever left-back to play for them. If they then gave one of my even more overweight and less fit mates a game at left-back then they'd become the worst-ever left-back and I wouldn't be any more.

It's not difficult.

Presumably we’d also then need to stick with your pal at left back for the next few years to ensure continuity.

1 minute ago, Hughsie said:

Presumably we’d also then need to stick with your pal at left back for the next few years to ensure continuity.

Definitely, wouldn't want to be seen as a club that gets rid of too many left-backs because then no left-back would ever want to play for us ever again.

10 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Definitely, wouldn't want to be seen as a club that gets rid of too many left-backs because then no left-back would ever want to play for us ever again.

Na, as long as you, a fan, was able to provide a suitable list of willing and available replacements who were absolutely iron clad guaranteed to do a better job , a replacement would be sanctioned. 

13 minutes ago, Gaz said:

We'd get a reputation as being a hire-and-fire outfit.

Not good, unless you want to drive down share prices and get the club at a rock bottom price.

3 hours ago, 60`s bairn said:

Tommy Younger before my time but I remember Sammy Kean. He was in charge for a season and a half. Finished mid table the first season, then John Prentice was brought in midway through the second season to rescue us as we looked like getting relegated.

The saving grace for Sammy Kean with me is that he brought Johnny Graham to the Club.👏

Billy Little,  that's a blast from the past.  When I trained with Scotland at U12/U13 level Billy Little was one of our SFA coaches. His terrible record might explain why my football career went downhill from there! 

1 minute ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Anyone else hear how Paul Watson told the Dunfermline manager he was ill and couldn't play, but went abroad on holiday and got a new haircut instead?

Come on home agent Paul 

Yes, that's how you disrespect a manager, oft!

(Sign him up now PLEASE)

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

Agree with nearly everything being said today, apart from I feel some are being a little bit too charitable to M&M. There wasn't a football manager between them, and we were top of the league in strange circumstances and completely fell to bits as soon as Partick got their arse in gear.

1 hour ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Billy Little,  that's a blast from the past.  When I trained with Scotland at U12/U13 level Billy Little was one of our SFA coaches. His terrible record might explain why my football career went downhill from there! 

Mid 70's was the worst I can remember though this era is running it close.

Miller onward till Totten arrived it was not an enjoyable experience any Falkirk game.

From 8,000 - 10,000 crowds in the Cunningham reign to 500 in 6 seasons takes some doing.

What are older fans thoughts on Peter ‘Silky’ Hetherston? Not directly comparing the two but was he like a Louis Longridge, a good game every 5 or was there more talent there? I started going to games when him and the team were going like a juggernaut in 90/91 so i have favourable early memories of him. He went on to have a decent career too.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

2 hours ago, Hughsie said:

It’s obviously well documented how deep the QP investors’ pockets are but the structure they’ve got in place there is ridiculous and will never be financially sustainable.

Provided they keep getting bankrolled then happy days I guess.

It’s clearly financial doping but as long as they are being funded I think the FFP rules are very lenient now.

As you say though it will be difficult for them to sustain as I’m pretty sure that per head of population they have the lowest average attendance in the league set up and it’s difficult to see how they improve that even if they continue to be promoted.

It also begs the question, what are they paying the new guy to come from the Erevdivisie to the Scottish 3rd Division ??