The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Who suggested Alex Ferguson or mentioned Ray McKinnon? Strange comment. I was only pointing out that Hopkin has basically had no success whatsoever as a manager in his own right. 

He got livi promoted out the league but as usual has to find every excuse why it wasn't. 

17 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

He got livi promoted out the league but as usual has to find every excuse why it wasn't. 

As I’ve already explained, it’s widely accepted Martindale has been pulling the strings at Livi for some time now under Hopkin, Miller and then Holt. You seem to be the only person in the world unaware of this

Edited by LatapyBairn.

4 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

As I’ve already explained, it’s widely accepted Martindale has been pulling the strings at Livi for some time now under Hopkin, Miller and then Holt. You seem to be the only person in the world unaware of this

I'm not unaware that he was involved.  But u seem to want to give martindale all the credit and hopkin did nothing. According to you absolute nonsense..

Sheerin actually has a good coaching record on paper won under 17s title at St johnstone. Took managers job at arbroath won league 2 and kept them up 2 seasons before finally coming in to his third. Won under 20s league with Aberdeen and ppl are saying he's clueless. It's not working for him at falkirk as it seems to not have for various others as well. Hartley did well at alloa before getting dundee job and then that didn't last and ended up at falkirk but is doing well at cove. 

Now I agree Sheerins time should be up especially after that interview yesterday. But you're not happy about anyone. Mackinnon got raith to playoff. Dundee utd to playoff. Won league 2 with queen's Park and I know you are going to throw at me he should have. But as you all keep saying on here you should be winning every game in this league.

The club will still have league 1 players. You aren't going to attract Premier league players and less chance,as you're in league 1, of getting a higginbothom, farid or lyle taylor from down south while in league 1.

Who exactly are you looking for to take charge at a league 1 club that seems like toxic. 

6 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I'm not unaware that he was involved.  But u seem to want to give martindale all the credit and hopkin did nothing. According to you absolute nonsense..

Sheerin actually has a good coaching record on paper won under 17s title at St johnstone. Took managers job at arbroath won league 2 and kept them up 2 seasons before finally coming in to his third. Won under 20s league with Aberdeen and ppl are saying he's clueless. It's not working for him at falkirk as it seems to not have for various others as well. Hartley did well at alloa before getting dundee job and then that didn't last and ended up at falkirk but is doing well at cove. 

Now I agree Sheerins time should be up especially after that interview yesterday. But you're not happy about anyone. Mackinnon got raith to playoff. Dundee utd to playoff. Won league 2 with queen's Park and I know you are going to throw at me he should have. But as you all keep saying on here you should be winning every game in this league.

The club will still have league 1 players. You aren't going to attract Premier league players and less chance,as you're in league 1, of getting a higginbothom, farid or lyle taylor from down south while in league 1.

Who exactly are you looking for to take charge at a league 1 club that seems like toxic. 

We shouldn’t need premier league players to get out of league one, just players on majority slightly better than the rest of the teams in this division. A Falkirk fan expecting a Falkirk team to do that and be competing to win a division in which we have the largest budget, largest support and are one of only two full time clubs is surely a minimum. If a manager can’t achieve that with those tools then they have failed. David Hopkin I’d worry would be yet another failure as he has no track record of success at any level on his own merit. In fact he actually has the opposite on every occasion where he has been his own man.  

Edited by LatapyBairn.

3 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

We shouldn’t need premier league players to get out of league one, just players on majority slightly better than the rest of the teams in this division. A Falkirk fan expecting a Falkirk team to do that and be competing to win a division in which we have the largest budget, largest support and are one of only two full time clubs is surely a minimum. If a manager can’t achieve that with those tools then they have failed. David Hopkin I’d worry would be yet another failure as he has no track record of success at any level on his own merit. In fact he actually has the opposite on every occasion where he has been his own man.  

So I put it back to you again who realistically can falkirk get?

11 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

So I put it back to you again who realistically can falkirk get?

I’m at a loss with that one however it is for those in charge to advertise, do due diligence and source the right person, that is they’re professional remit not mine or yours as a mere spectators. In my opinion however he should have been removed a month ago and John Hughes brought in after him basically  offering himself up via the media, we dithered and have now missed the boat. We cant continue to be indecisive, decision needs to be made before we are completely cut adrift. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

9 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I’m at a loss with that one however it is for those in charge to advertise, do due diligence and source the right person, that is they’re professional remit not mine or yours as a mere spectators. In my opinion however he should have been removed a month ago and John Hughes brought in after him basically  offering himself up via the media, we dithered and have now missed the boat. We cant continue to be indecisive, decision needs to be made before we are completely cut adrift. 

We are mid table in the 3rd Division - we are completely cut adrift.

5 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

made it to the final and lost to a top flight club.

That he had a bigger budget than to start with. Christ his united side finished behind us in the league despite having 3 or 4 times the budget we had. Queen's park didn't keep him long either. Few queen's park fans were sorry to see him leave due to the piss poor football on show again despite his huge budget advantage.

4 hours ago, FFC1965 said:

I've had a season ticket since the mid 70s and have missed the last three home games.  Its not a conscious boycott but the whole matchday experience is pretty shite - I live outside Falkirk and tend to use public transport to Falkirk then walk to the stadium.  Its a fair old slog 9/10ths of the way to Grangemouth and not the most pleasant stroll.  That's before the permanently freezing cold stadium with zero atmosphere, rotten pies and a piss poor team on the park. 

I was personally ready to sign up for a four figure investment as part of the patrons group in summer 2019 believing that our best chance was to get out L1 at the first opportunity but the club were too busy pursuing Mark Campbell.  My concern was that we'd get used to being an L1 team and I think I've been proved correct in that respect and the moment disappeared very quickly.  If we'd had that investment at the start of the 19/20 season I believe we would have been able to attract a squad good enough to finish above Raith.   

Disillusionment with the club means I'm not involved with the latest patrons group but I've no doubt that they have the interests of the club at heart without any personal agendas.  Good luck to them and hats off to anybody putting up hard cash into the club just now.   I cant see how shares in the club are worth anywhere near the 40p a share that is going to apply to the FSS arrangement but that price is being set by the club.  

Looking at the state of the club now its very sadly clear that Sheerin is out his depth.  He's a nice guy, but not cut out for the job sadly.  That's not his fault, it was Holt & Deans who appointed him.  As an aside I was listening to the "Sacked in Morning" BBC podcast with Dick Campbell the other day and his "big" job outside football is recruitment.  No coincidence that a real success story in Scottish football is based on good recruitment, and that our club is proof of what happens with bad recruitment.      

However if Sheerin has to go, so must Holt - no ifs and no buts.   Our options for a replacement are limited, but we could do worse than wind the clock back to when it started to go wrong and bring back Houstie.   He'd be effectively starting from scratch so Id give him 3 full seasons with the twin aims of (a) promotion back to the Championship and (b) to identify a successor ready to take over in 3 - 5 years.   

Anything I've seen of our new Chief Exec doesn't fill me with confidence either, but if I'm being charitable it could be that he doesn't actually know what his remit is relative to Holt.  My test for a football club chief exec is imagining them having to call Yogi.  No, me neither.  

Sad sad times.    

Houston was retiring at the end of the season he got the bullet and that was 5 years ago.  He's the assistant manager of the Scotland u21s and I very much doubt he has any interest in being a manager at club level ever again. 

12 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

The YD quality is being massively over stated how good it is IMO. We’re are playing at a level below professional standard. 

I am not saying there maybe one or two nuggets in there but it certainly isn’t anything like the level it was before the Academy closure. 

I would like to see the club being honest about this. 

I would like to see the club being honest about many things, but they won’t. The earliest we are likely to see any honesty is Dec 7th.

So, another Monday where the worst manager in our history somehow,  incredibly, remains in place after a humiliation at the weekend.

What's even the point any more. 

And it's not his fault either. He's just absolutely inept. He didn't appoint himself and I don't expect him to resign. Must actually be really difficult to come to work every day and try and do a job you have no skills for. Be like asking Boris to do open heart surgery.

Edited by FalkirkBairn2021

15 hours ago, bejazz1 said:

I think his body language says it all. The upbeat manager that came in though the door has gone and his honest and breath of fresh air interviews are now a thing of the past and he looks a beaten man.
What I would really like to see is an interview with our DOF for him to outline how and what he is going to do to support his appointed first team coach. Surely his rookie appointment needs some indication or some pointers of how to maybe change his approach, formations, style of play? It seems to me as if PS is being left and hung out, quartered and fair game for the vultures to strip bare. After all, our DOF has bags of experience to help him see the woods from the trees or does the word scapegoat spring to mind?

What are we going to do now Gary???

At a lower level admittedly, but Sheerin has more experience as a manager than Holt.