The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Wrong. Martindale won league one with Livi, Hopkin been shite every other job he’s had since 

I'm sorry alex ferguson probably isn't available. Who has been succesful everywhere they have went?  Mckinnon got Raith and Dundee Utd to the playoffs. Won League 2 with Queens park and was shit at Falkirk

2 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I'm sorry alex ferguson probably isn't available. Who has been succesful everywhere they have went?  Mckinnon got Raith and Dundee Utd to the playoffs. Won League 2 with Queens park and was shit at Falkirk

McKinnon getting Dundee United to the playoffs wasn't seen as any type of success.

15 minutes ago, Russ said:

Nah think that’s a lot of shite man. We have no idea aside from the usual names who would apply for it or if there’s anyone who’d apply for it that we wouldn’t think about.

The only way you can talk about names like that are if you can know the actual shortlist and who applied and we never will otherwise it’s just meaningless names plucked out of thin air.

Could be a lot of shite. But do you reckon there were lots of names in the last application list that were up to much? 

Or was it more likely they were overall utter guff, so guff that we went out and tried to persuade a few who didn’t even apply to come to us?

Yeah. Someone who applied would be a football manager rather than whatever Sheerin is, which would set them up to be an improvement right off the bat.

As soon as he gets his pay off from us he’s either going back into youth football coaching the Michael Ruth’s of the world and telling them getting beat doesn’t matter or he’ll be putting the cones out at training for an actual football manager.

This is his last job as a manager and he absolutely kens it.

Could be a lot of shite. But do you reckon there were lots of names in the last application list that were up to much? 
Or was it more likely they were overall utter guff, so guff that we went out and tried to persuade a few who didn’t even apply to come to us?

Gary Holt and Gary Deans were in charge of the last recruitment. I wouldn’t trust they p***ks with anything let alone the appointment of a competent football manager.

There’s not a chance Gary Holt was going to appoint a manager that was going to cause him any bother or rock the boat. A simpleton yes man was his number 1 priority and it’s what we’ve got.

3 minutes ago, Russ said:

Gary Holt and Gary Deans were in charge of the last recruitment. I wouldn’t trust they p***ks with anything let alone the appointment of a competent football manager.

There’s not a chance Gary Holt was going to appoint a manager that was going to cause him any bother or rock the boat. A simpleton yes man was his number 1 priority and it’s what we’ve got.

Yes very true. Getting rid of the grim reaper might give us a chance of having a better list of candidates to choose from

I actually can't believe the question was put to Sheerin about the January transfer window post match. Surely he doesn't actually believe he's still going to be in charge by then, it simply cannot be allowed to happen. 

I think his body language says it all. The upbeat manager that came in though the door has gone and his honest and breath of fresh air interviews are now a thing of the past and he looks a beaten man.
What I would really like to see is an interview with our DOF for him to outline how and what he is going to do to support his appointed first team coach. Surely his rookie appointment needs some indication or some pointers of how to maybe change his approach, formations, style of play? It seems to me as if PS is being left and hung out, quartered and fair game for the vultures to strip bare. After all, our DOF has bags of experience to help him see the woods from the trees or does the word scapegoat spring to mind?

What are we going to do now Gary???

Guest Caractacus Potts

Why not try something ambitious like asking Derek McInnes to step in and help Sheerin out till the end of the season. He’s out a job and has close ties to him so could be doing his friend a favour getting a little bit of work in the meantime and see if his influence can help turn things around. 

Appoint him in a role superior to Holt and make Holt less relevant. Would have to pay them both off anyway so this way we could get an experienced pair of hands in to steady the ship, maybe turn Sheerin in to a proper manager and try get Holt to resign. 

It’s a long shot but why not.

Guest FFC1965

I've had a season ticket since the mid 70s and have missed the last three home games.  Its not a conscious boycott but the whole matchday experience is pretty shite - I live outside Falkirk and tend to use public transport to Falkirk then walk to the stadium.  Its a fair old slog 9/10ths of the way to Grangemouth and not the most pleasant stroll.  That's before the permanently freezing cold stadium with zero atmosphere, rotten pies and a piss poor team on the park. 

I was personally ready to sign up for a four figure investment as part of the patrons group in summer 2019 believing that our best chance was to get out L1 at the first opportunity but the club were too busy pursuing Mark Campbell.  My concern was that we'd get used to being an L1 team and I think I've been proved correct in that respect and the moment disappeared very quickly.  If we'd had that investment at the start of the 19/20 season I believe we would have been able to attract a squad good enough to finish above Raith.   

Disillusionment with the club means I'm not involved with the latest patrons group but I've no doubt that they have the interests of the club at heart without any personal agendas.  Good luck to them and hats off to anybody putting up hard cash into the club just now.   I cant see how shares in the club are worth anywhere near the 40p a share that is going to apply to the FSS arrangement but that price is being set by the club.  

Looking at the state of the club now its very sadly clear that Sheerin is out his depth.  He's a nice guy, but not cut out for the job sadly.  That's not his fault, it was Holt & Deans who appointed him.  As an aside I was listening to the "Sacked in Morning" BBC podcast with Dick Campbell the other day and his "big" job outside football is recruitment.  No coincidence that a real success story in Scottish football is based on good recruitment, and that our club is proof of what happens with bad recruitment.      

However if Sheerin has to go, so must Holt - no ifs and no buts.   Our options for a replacement are limited, but we could do worse than wind the clock back to when it started to go wrong and bring back Houstie.   He'd be effectively starting from scratch so Id give him 3 full seasons with the twin aims of (a) promotion back to the Championship and (b) to identify a successor ready to take over in 3 - 5 years.   

Anything I've seen of our new Chief Exec doesn't fill me with confidence either, but if I'm being charitable it could be that he doesn't actually know what his remit is relative to Holt.  My test for a football club chief exec is imagining them having to call Yogi.  No, me neither.  

Sad sad times.    

Why not try something ambitious like asking Derek McInnes to step in and help Sheerin out till the end of the season. He’s out a job and has close ties to him so could be doing his friend a favour getting a little bit of work in the meantime and see if his influence can help turn things around. 
Appoint him in a role superior to Holt and make Holt less relevant. Would have to pay them both off anyway so this way we could get an experienced pair of hands in to steady the ship, maybe turn Sheerin in to a proper manager and try get Holt to resign. 

Sir Alex couldn’t make that diddy Sheerin look competent.

Guest Caractacus Potts
7 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Never wanted Sheerin in the first place and beginning to feel vindicated of that now. Doesn’t bring me any joy, but saw nothing in him that warranted him being appointed.

Likewise but did want him to do well. Just underlines all the crap we were dealt with Via the Rawlins about processes, plans and the rest of it. All utter bollocks. Starting to wonder what tricks they’ve pulled with the youth team too. Got to be a catch somewhere. 

2 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Who suggested Alex Ferguson or mentioned Ray McKinnon? Strange comment. I was only pointing out that Hopkin has basically had no success whatsoever as a manager in his own right. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Sheerin's like that guy who's fantastic on the rifle ranges but goes to pot on the battlefield. All his training formations and tricks only work against dummies and cones. Whenever he's up against opposition who don't do what he expects them to, he's bamboozled. 

6 hours ago, Donathan said:

If Sheerin does get the bullet we'll have sacked a manager during the season five years in a row (Houston just a few games into 2017/18, Hartley almost exactly a year later and McKinnon almost exactly a year after that, M&M with a few games remaining in 2020/21 and now possibly Sheerin in the early-to-mid portion of this season)

That must be some kind of Scottish football record.

It doesn't matter whatever record, managers fall on their results/performances and under Sheerin like the ones afore him it was goodbye

5 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

Most commentators and observers think we're better than average

Most of them look at who is the top goalscorer and he is the player of the season for every division outside the top league

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

It's not a long shot it's the same odds of winning the lottery. I wouldn't be surprised if Derek McInnes is still on the payroll of Aberdeen also. 

As far as feedback via Sheerin and sightings of McInnes suggest he had been around early on. 

I'm sorry but there is no hope for Sheerin, he will be a statistic at FFC for a reason