The Falkirk FC Thread

On 25/11/2021 at 00:44, ShaggerG said:

Aye, I think there could well be something in that. Keena needs to buckle down and run his arse off when he gets the chance though, rather than look like he would prefer to be somewhere else.

I do wonder sometimes though if some players are giving what they can for him. Robbie Mutch, for example, was dropped when he shouldn't have been and I wonder if there's some conflict there too? Then there was the episode when Hetherington got sent off against Airdrie and Millar refused to take the arm band and his refusal to give Krasniqi a decent chance.

Sheerin comes over as a nice, placid kind of guy but maybe that's not the case in the dressing room?

You might be right re split personality. Only listened to him once when you guys were playing us and thought he came  across as a descent chap in the interview. I was therefore very surprised by his mad man  antics on the sidelines, and thought then  he must be fun in the dressing room?I guess he can always try and become an extra in “Twin Peaks “if the football thing doesn't work out.

15 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Best one I remember was at Brockville against Tommy McLean playing for Killie. 

Kickoff ball played out to TMcL on touchline opposite the stand half way line. As the ball was played Tiger took off from the opposite side like a rocket. TMcL trapped the ball and instantly slide tackled. Bounced off the red gravel into the advert hoarding, rebounded only to meet Tiger who was following through for a further introduction to the hoarding. TMcL lying their groaning Tiger picked up the ball and took they shy. Killie players going mental, ref waving play on and TMcL did not want to see the ball for the rest of the game Willie Cunningham out the dugout applauding with Willie Waddell having a tantrum beside him.

Happy days ! anybody else remember that one ? 

A wee bit before my time that one, I do recall Jim Dempsey at Brockville think it was possibly Hearts, when Walter Kidd  ran across the park and basically launched himself two footed at Dempsey, who saw him coming did a neat sidestep with the ball, Kidd when flying past him and clattered himself into the advertising boards. Was an absolute peach, although if he'd connected it wouldn't have have absolutely halved Dempsey.

Edited by ebobsboy

9 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

A wee bit before my time that one, I do recall Jim Dempsey at Brockville think it was possibly Hearts, when Walter Kidd  ran across the park and basically launched himself two footed at Dempsey, who saw him coming did a neat sidestep with the ball, Kidd when flying past him and clattered himself into the advertising boards. Was an absolute peach, although if he'd connected it wouldn't have have absolutely halved Dempsey.

I remember that too. I think it happened in front of the stand enclosure mid way between the half way line and the Hope Street end.

25 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I remember that too. I think it happened in front of the stand enclosure mid way between the half way line and the Hope Street end.

Was in the stand that day and saw it coming. I remember it as Crunchy doing a draw back and he slid in front of him.

Hearts bench were going mental in particular at the hysterical laughter from the enclosure and the Ref waving play on.

16 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Best one I remember was at Brockville against Tommy McLean playing for Killie. 

Kickoff ball played out to TMcL on touchline opposite the stand half way line. As the ball was played Tiger took off from the opposite side like a rocket. TMcL trapped the ball and instantly slide tackled. Bounced off the red gravel into the advert hoarding, rebounded only to meet Tiger who was following through for a further introduction to the hoarding. TMcL lying their groaning Tiger picked up the ball and took they shy. Killie players going mental, ref waving play on and TMcL did not want to see the ball for the rest of the game Willie Cunningham out the dugout applauding with Willie Waddell having a tantrum beside him.

Happy days ! anybody else remember that one ? 

I think Willie Waddell left Killie after winning the league in '65, so it was maybe Walter McCrae you were thinking of?

25 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

I think Willie Waddell left Killie after winning the league in '65, so it was maybe Walter McCrae you were thinking of?

Must have been ! thanks for the clarification. Was standing beside the crush barrier where it happened.

Poor McLean did not know anything about it until it was over. Far tackle in these days got the ball clean and momentum took Tiger through him.

Sadly for football the skill of a well timed hard tackle is a thing of the past

1 minute ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

All this nostalgia stuff is getting a bit boring.

Why not get Michael White’s books which chronicle all these happenings in glorious detail.

The present, IMO, is much more pertinent.

Its having a nostalgia and hope for players like them to return, i think it shows how lucky we were in the past and we never really truly appreciated our ups and downs till we hit the all time low of where we are just now.

By the looks of it if it makes anyone feel any better Sunderland seem to be experiencing the same thing, probably why the coffee baron hung about both clubs.

2 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Its having a nostalgia and hope for players like them to return, i think it shows how lucky we were in the past and we never really truly appreciated our ups and downs till we hit the all time low of where we are just now.

By the looks of it if it makes anyone feel any better Sunderland seem to be experiencing the same thing, probably why the coffee baron hung about both clubs.

Fair enough. Just feeling a bit grumpy.

22 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Fair enough. Just feeling a bit grumpy.

Think most of the fanbase has been in the same boat for the past 4 yrs since the rapid trajectory to rock bottom happened, not at rock bottom yet but not fair away from it it right enough.  Didnt feel so bad having something to moan about in the championship its even worse no in league 1.

10 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

McGurn emergency loan for the weekend. Don't want to get too wound up about somebody who's probably just going to sit on the bench but what a riddy that our 3rd choice keeper is cup-tied after 2 unsuccessful loan spells before January.

The script is written for Martin to get injured or sent off and McGurn to come in and singlehandedly defy and repel all Rovers attacks from then on*.

*pity we are already 3-0 down by that point 😆

3 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Remember it well Kidd got carted off on a stretcher too . Big Jim Dempsey was a classy player fantastic perm too.

1 hour ago, lanky_ffc said:

McGurn emergency loan for the weekend. Don't want to get too wound up about somebody who's probably just going to sit on the bench but what a riddy that our 3rd choice keeper is cup-tied after 2 unsuccessful loan spells before January.

It's a pity he can't play up front. On the game itself I hope we get absolutely pumped for no other reason than getting Sheerin the f**k out. 

18 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

It's a pity he can't play up front. On the game itself I hope we get absolutely pumped for no other reason than getting Sheerin the f**k out. 

Which won't be happening anyway. Raith are flying, full of confidence and have an actual manager in charge. Basically they are and have everything we don't. Throw in the ex-player factor in the shape of Connolly, who appears to be bang in form along with Zanatta, and I suspect anything better than perhaps a 3-0 loss will be viewed as some sort of moral victory. Even a doing will be rationalised away on the basis that we were up against a "brilliant side" - his exact words. Sheerin could do himself and everyone else a favour by giving starts to the likes of Williamson, Lemon, Krasniqi and Keena, but as that would involve dropping some of the blue-eyed boys in the process, I wouldn't expect it. Firm underdogs against RR at home sums up our status at the moment.