The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Money has never been the problem in the recent past it's how it's being spent. We already have the biggest budget but are midtable . More cash will just mean we have an even bigger advantage over the other teams which means nowt if you spend it on Brad mackays and Jaime Wilsons.

Players and Managers are put off FFC due to the club being viewed as a fire and hire club.

They are right - we are. Proved by the headcount season after season of the dross signed and punted. and the lack of quality signings made.

The longer this goes on the more that mindset it reinforced.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Was that the conversation where someone suggested Scott Booth as a new boss?

Nearly jumped out the window reading that; unreal man.

Made me think about who we could realistically get as a replacement for Sheerin? We'd be back to the same names that were mentioned just a few months ago and I didn't really fancy any of them other than maybe Stuart Taylor and look at the success he's having with Hamilton!

To get us out of this league, I’d take Dick Campbell of Arbroath. Would be interesting to see if jumped at taking on a full time squad with total control of player acquisition. He might not be the man to get us to the Premier League, but he would certainly have us up there.  Obviously Holt would have to go.

10 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Players and Managers are put off FFC due to the club being viewed as a fire and hire club.

They are right - we are. Proved by the headcount season after season of the dross signed and punted. and the lack of quality signings made.

Do you really, really, really not remember posting this dozens of times before?

goldfish GIF

Guest Caractacus Potts

I just find it funny how the NB were going to put in half a million and then when it was rumoured they wanted Deans and Holt out, an equal say on the board, people were criticising them. 

Roll on a few months later….Deans is leaving, another few of the directors are going, people want Holt out and Sheerin too and don’t trust the current board to make decisions given their recent efforts. It also looks like the Patrons will get parity but for half the money the NB were going to invest.

Delighted to hear all this news and still hope for more to move on but just funny how things change! 

24 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

To get us out of this league, I’d take Dick Campbell of Arbroath. Would be interesting to see if jumped at taking on a full time squad with total control of player acquisition. He might not be the man to get us to the Premier League, but he would certainly have us up there.  Obviously Holt would have to go.

Assuming Holt & Sheerin are away how about a pitch for services of McKinnes & Docherty

7 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The problem is that anyone thinking the day after everything is agreed at the AGM Holt and sheerin will be out the door will sadly be disappointed I feel It's going to take a while for the new directors to get their feet under the table and probably another good while to get fans reps appointed and on the bod too.  Talk of an independent chairman but the selection process for that key role could also take a while unless someone has already been approached. You've got all that happening so I just can't see sacking and  appointing a new manager and dof happening anytime soon and the January window is only a month away.  The off field changes are a great step forward yes but it will take time for those changes to come to fruition on the park.  I have a feeling Holt and sheerin could be hanging about till may still unfortunately with the new bod giving them increased funding to try and turn the tide this season. I think most of us will see that as simply more cash pissed down the drain due to Holt's already awful recruitment record but I fear that's the way it's going to go. Hoping to be proved wrong and very positive about the new investment etc but just feel that the problems on the park arent going to be fixed anytime soon.

I don't think Holt will go first or be out anytime soon but if the recent performances and results continue in the next few weeks, Sheerin's position will be impossible for him to still be our coach/manager.

Our mindset at the club now is we can't keep sacking managers, the reason why Sheerin has lasted

7 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Nah, Holt and Sheerin are 50% responsible each for where we are this season. I don't want to see a single brass farthing spent on new players in January, just accept that we're not going up this season and then, when both Holt and Sheerin are emptied, give our new manager the funds to do the job next season. The new manager can then work with a hybrid team with the sole aim of getting us promoted. We can look at going 100% full time again once we are in the Championship.

This season is by no means over in November, employ the right manager and it's still very possible for us to be champions. If we don't then it will be 4th at best

Get the right manager in and try and get a decent goal scorer on loan in the January window, god knows where from though and we could turn the season round. Mind you we also need a bit of dig in midfield and some decent defenders, oh and a good goalkeeper. Alright, we are fucked.

43 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I just find it funny how the NB were going to put in half a million and then when it was rumoured they wanted Deans and Holt out, an equal say on the board, people were criticising them. 

Roll on a few months later….Deans is leaving, another few of the directors are going, people want Holt out and Sheerin too and don’t trust the current board to make decisions given their recent efforts. It also looks like the Patrons will get parity but for half the money the NB were going to invest.

Delighted to hear all this news and still hope for more to move on but just funny how things change! 

I don't think anyone was criticising the NB for wanting to put in money (or getting Holt and Deans out). 

The criticism I know had at the time was the timing and the fact that the plan seemed doomed from the start given the Rawlins seemingly wanted the chance to take more control and were very unlikely to want to dilute their voice on the board before they'd even got started.  Now given we'd all worked together to get them on the board in the first place it seemed a bit daft not giving them that chance.   

Despite all the problems, I think its fair to say the infrastructure at the club is better now than at the end of last season - the main problem is the people in the roles.  Holt should be emptied immediately and Sheerin seems incapable of changing his tactics and approach to win games.  Its also now clear the Rawlins are not going to become the serial investors we all hoped they would be when they came in.  

The fan investment is a positive move but as others have said Deans & Colburn, Ritchie and Alexander were all fans too when they came in - let's hope the new lot are capable of steering us in the right direction.  For the moment its blind hope that those voted onto the board will be an improvement.  Getting rid of Gary Holt as a first piece of business would be an excellent start.  

Guest Caractacus Potts
12 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I don't think anyone was criticising the NB for wanting to put in money (or getting Holt and Deans out). 

The criticism I know had at the time was the timing and the fact that the plan seemed doomed from the start given the Rawlins seemingly wanted the chance to take more control and were very unlikely to want to dilute their voice on the board before they'd even got started.  Now given we'd all worked together to get them on the board in the first place it seemed a bit daft not giving them that chance.   

Despite all the problems, I think its fair to say the infrastructure at the club is better now than at the end of last season - the main problem is the people in the roles.  Holt should be emptied immediately and Sheerin seems incapable of changing his tactics and approach to win games.  Its also now clear the Rawlins are not going to become the serial investors we all hoped they would be when they came in.  

The fan investment is a positive move but as others have said Deans & Colburn, Ritchie and Alexander were all fans too when they came in - let's hope the new lot are capable of steering us in the right direction.  For the moment its blind hope that those voted onto the board will be an improvement.  Getting rid of Gary Holt as a first piece of business would be an excellent start.  

Think you are looking back with selective memory. There was plenty of people who criticised them for demanding too much. 

You also derided myself and others for criticising the board despite where we ended up last season and all the stories directing to their incompetence and poor treatment of others. 

As for the structure, I’m not convinced it fits a club our size and particularly where we are at the moment. Won’t be worth it either too if the extra costs for their vanity projects are driving us towards part time status. 

The sooner these new guys get in the better though. At least they and the FSS will represent 2 separate groups of fans rather than a few jumped up members who represent nothing other than their own self importance. 

5 hours ago, Zbairn said:

750,000 shares at 40p = £300k.

However, I think this is a target figure and not the amount of shares bought by the Patrons Group as yet.  If I read correctly, it was stated that a 6 figure sum had been achieved....but that could be just over £100k.

Irrespective of the cash put in, I think it's a step in the right direction to have a more balanced model of ownership, with a greater number of fans invloved.  Let's face it, it can't get much worse !

There is an initial  200k being invested immediately with more to follow through a mix of new patrons being attracted and further investment from the current group. There will also be the initiation of the supporters society which should provide steady on going investment via monthly direct debits, as this investment grows so will the society’s shareholding. Both groups will have two seats on the board. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Guest Ecosse83

Was hoping to see Holt was gone today but even I know things won’t move that quickly. 

If any of the guys that have invested are on here then bravo and good luck, do the club proud 👏

Guest Back Post Misses
44 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

It is fair to say you have always tried to put a spin on the NB investment plan in the summer. 

I think it is time for everyone to move on however in the interest of clarity the notion that the Rawlins blocked it as they wanted more control is 100% not true. They wanted local investment and are behind this plan.

Let’s just start pulling together, most of the NB have invested initially and I hope one or two of those involved in that initiative represent the investment and the wider fanbase on the newly formed Board. If they don’t then I personally will have no issues with whoever is elected. 
One thing I am sure of, or as much as I can be, the people elected will be competent, in touch with the wider fanbase and have the strength of character to drive this club forward. 
It isn’t going to be turned around in 5 minutes but we have to start somewhere. 
I am excited for the future now. 

5 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Not heard your other great theory for a while , the one about the Rawlins trying to run the club into the ground to pick up the shares for next to nothing and sell it on for a mega profit.

How's that one going?