The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, kiddy said:
7 hours ago, ShaggerG said:
My abiding memory of Boaby was the time at Motherwell when he slid out to collect a through ball only to slide right out of his box then, realising that he couldn't handle it, he let the ball run by him to allow their striker a tap-in!

Likewise, Gordon Marshall, at East End, on Hogmanay, chucking them in.

Got to be Marshall’s worst ever game.

47 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

I remember 

The temp stands were always fun for winding up next to some greasy old firm fans that had bought tickets for the home end. Our family/friend group would always wind up any of them that were sat near us to the absolute max.

A couple of old boys who were clearly Celtic fans sat in front of us when we won 1-0 in the game Kasper saved a penalty. Every now and then we'd make snarky remarks about Celtic players, their ground or their fans and the two old duffers would turn round and glare at us. It wasn't exactly hard either given they had Lennon, Presley and Hartley playing for them that day. A proper gallery of utter p***ks that would surround the ref at every decision either protesting innocence or looking for bookings to be dished out to Falkirk players.

Good times.

That was quality fun. Remember doing exactly the same to two fans of the old Rangers club. 

You could see the steam coming out their ears with every barb and insult. To be fair, they kept their heads down and said nothing.

All this goalkeeping chat and not a mention of Daniel Mallo Castro - Now he was a class keeper. Another one of Yogi’s finds. I can’t believe he only played 15 times for us. He obviously made a big impression on me!!!
Didn't like Hampden.

*couldn't find the 3 he lost in the League Cup Semi, including another 2 to Novo.

22 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Always thought Boaby was an ok keeper and ended up in the Championship down south for a good spell after us.  

Rated Krul over Kasper at the time as recall KS being an excellent shot stopper but never coming for crosses.  

All were far better than Lambers, Higgins and Butter Flinders.  

I rated Kasper over Krul myself but it's amazing we had either keeper as our no1.

Boabys issue as mentioned was crossed balls, decent shot stopper and was at times shafted by us altho when he was given the No1 Jersey he didn't progress. He obviously did in his move to England earning him a 300k+ transfer. I'm sure he started well at Peterborough and during that period he was quoted for silly money.

He wasn't Mcgloves who has been the standard long term wise you look for, he could have a howler but week after its gone, that's the difference from decent to great.

I don't think anyone will disagree in Fasan we reached a new low 

Edited by MrDust

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

I rated Kasper over Krul myself but it's amazing we had either keeper as our no1.

Boabys issue as mentioned was crossed balls, decent shit stopper and was at times shafted by us altho when he was given the No1 Jersey he didn't progress. He obviously did in his move to England earning him a 300k+ transfer. I'm sure he started well at Peterborough and during that period he was quoted for silly money.

He wasn't Mcgloves who has been the standard long term wise you look for, he could have a howler but week after its gone, that's the difference from decent to great.

I remember Fasan launching two goal kicks, in a row,  right into our dugout against Dunfermline. Was pretty impressive. 

17 hours ago, kiddy said:

Aye, that best ever finish in the Premier League. #Disaster!

Couldn't recall him playing much in the season we finished 7th so had to look it up and was surprised he played 13 games (and 15 games the next season).

He was an ever present in our relegation season, our 1 game in the League Cup & 1 game in the Scottish Cup  , plus of course our European run in 2009/10.

If you are trying to give him credit for the best ever finish then you need to give him credit for the "disaster" that followed.  

9 hours ago, kiddy said:

Didn't like Hampden.

*couldn't find the 3 he lost in the League Cup Semi, including another 2 to Novo.

Unfortunately some excellent goal keepers are simply limited a bit by their physiques.  Dani was only 6 feet tall . 3 or 4 inches taller and he's getting that.  One reason why a lot of goalkeepers these days are nearer 6'5' or even bigger.

10 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Off the field he was an absolute gentlemen and one of the nicest people I’ve met. My parents met him at an awards night one year and both said he was fantastic and spoke all night. My Mum thought he was genuinely a good guy and he became her favourite player for this reason (her not knowing anything about football🤣). When she died a few years back, Bobby found out and got in touch. He donated to the charity for her and signed his match top which she had for years and went with her as she treasured it. Not the best keeper by any stretch but a thoroughly decent guy that we’ll never have a bad word to say about him. 

Worked at the Club during Bobby`s spell there and can confirm everything you`ve said. Really nice, unassuming and friendly guy. The players called him "Inspector gadget" as he was always into the latest tech. As part of that, he got interested in photography. After a game at Pittodrie, he walked down to where I was sitting on the team bus just as it left and started enquiring about cameras. When the bus pulled in to the Stadium 2 hours later, he was still standing there asking questions!!🤔😂

11 hours ago, MrDust said:

Boabys issue as mentioned was crossed balls, decent shot stopper and was at times shafted by us altho when he was given the No1 Jersey he didn't progress. He obviously did in his move to England earning him a 300k+ transfer. I'm sure he started well at Peterborough and during that period he was quoted for silly money.

I think that's a bit unfair. Leo was quite happy manning the turnstyles until Hartley decided that he was a goalkeeper.