The Falkirk FC Thread

Just read comments on Facebook from Dave Mac saying he was told he was no longer going to be a part of the media plans at Falkirk FC. Said there was a u-turn but as he wasn’t paid he had decided to take other paid work. 

Firstly, regardless of the completely understandable decision to take other work as to the way he was treated, we should have been paying him. I hate the exploitation of volunteer workers. Stuff that Dave does isn’t easy and he was a total pro at doing it. You can’t tell me we can pull the guy in to help raise £1000s in a 50/50 draw and not even afford minimum wage for his work!

Secondly I’m absolutely livid to hear of yet another person completely mistreated by the club despite all the work and effort Dave has done and for free. 

This toxic environment within the higher echelons of the club has to stop. The attitudes of those in there are horrendous. What you seen at the Q and A is entirely reflective of what I’ve witnessed, even to the extent that lies are construed to chastise an individual. I’m not just talking about one or two as well but several including the high flyers from further afield. Those who weren’t a part are almost guilty by their association and decision to sit by and allow such acts to happen. 

I’ve been affected by it personally as have others I know. It just seems there are people in there who want to act like the big shot and throw their weight about to those they consider subordinate to themselves. 

It’s nothing new either as I’ve experienced years ago and heard many stories from others affected. It has to stop though. These hangers on and self important individuals need to be cleared out. 

I know there are things happening in the background and I genuinely hope that we get the right people in to run the club. Only from that point will we start to see a change. Anything else is just papering over the cracks. 

Hopefully with the new FSS set up and other fan investors we’ll see a change but like I said the clear out is needed first and as far as I’m concerned there are still a few bad eggs currently attached to the club. Time for them to move on. 

Less blazer chasers, less big shots and more people with the skills, compassion and understanding necessary to make us the successful community club we should be before we all say enough is enough. 

7 hours ago, Van_damage said:

Just read comments on Facebook from Dave Mac saying he was told he was no longer going to be a part of the media plans at Falkirk FC. Said there was a u-turn but as he wasn’t paid he had decided to take other paid work. 

Firstly, regardless of the completely understandable decision to take other work as to the way he was treated, we should have been paying him. I hate the exploitation of volunteer workers. Stuff that Dave does isn’t easy and he was a total pro at doing it. You can’t tell me we can pull the guy in to help raise £1000s in a 50/50 draw and not even afford minimum wage for his work!

Secondly I’m absolutely livid to hear of yet another person completely mistreated by the club despite all the work and effort Dave has done and for free. 

This toxic environment within the higher echelons of the club has to stop. The attitudes of those in there are horrendous. What you seen at the Q and A is entirely reflective of what I’ve witnessed, even to the extent that lies are construed to chastise an individual. I’m not just talking about one or two as well but several including the high flyers from further afield. Those who weren’t a part are almost guilty by their association and decision to sit by and allow such acts to happen. 

I’ve been affected by it personally as have others I know. It just seems there are people in there who want to act like the big shot and throw their weight about to those they consider subordinate to themselves. 

It’s nothing new either as I’ve experienced years ago and heard many stories from others affected. It has to stop though. These hangers on and self important individuals need to be cleared out. 

I know there are things happening in the background and I genuinely hope that we get the right people in to run the club. Only from that point will we start to see a change. Anything else is just papering over the cracks. 

Hopefully with the new FSS set up and other fan investors we’ll see a change but like I said the clear out is needed first and as far as I’m concerned there are still a few bad eggs currently attached to the club. Time for them to move on. 

Less blazer chasers, less big shots and more people with the skills, compassion and understanding necessary to make us the successful community club we should be before we all say enough is enough. 

Pretty much sums up the club. The same story gets played out time and time again with volunteers who work for the club for nothing, simply because they love the club. I'm not talking about those in the Boardroom, who mainly are only in it for what they can get out of it. Without naming names (but you can guess who they are), I'm talking about a previous programme editor treated terribly by the club, the guy who previously wore the Fergus the Fox outfit and now the stadium announcer.....its a recurring theme. All have been treated shabbily.

I know some people who have been on the Board who are good, decent Falkirk fans who are trying their best for the club....but this is the minority. Unfortunately the toxicity of some lingers on to this day - even after they have left the Board. 

Time for major shift in emphasis to a true fans ownership model. My only concern is that we need to get the right people in, with the correct skill sets to take us forward and with the right motives. It's not going to be easy !

13 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Not sure you can draw a red line under EVERY person who goes on the Board forgets their “roots”. I would concede it is a danger however 

Get your drift, I think the main point is out of who gets selected there has to be some sort of accountability or we end up in the situation we are in just now, with the we've failed but will give it another bash and that's a statement not a question  with the ego taking over rather than ability to do the job.

2 hours ago, Zbairn said:

Pretty much sums up the club. The same story gets played out time and time again with volunteers who work for the club for nothing, simply because they love the club. I'm not talking about those in the Boardroom, who mainly are only in it for what they can get out of it. Without naming names (but you can guess who they are), I'm talking about a previous programme editor treated terribly by the club, the guy who previously wore the Fergus the Fox outfit and now the stadium announcer.....its a recurring theme. All have been treated shabbily.

I know some people who have been on the Board who are good, decent Falkirk fans who are trying their best for the club....but this is the minority. Unfortunately the toxicity of some lingers on to this day - even after they have left the Board. 

Time for major shift in emphasis to a true fans ownership model. My only concern is that we need to get the right people in, with the correct skill sets to take us forward and with the right motives. It's not going to be easy !

Quite incredible how we will piss money down the drain on pish managers, pish dofs, pish players a CEO and so on and yet we can't find the cash to pay an excellent announcer who is also a big fan of the club and goes above and beyond to do things for it. Shameful stuff.

QUOTE Happy to answer this Arthur Thom. Queens Park had enquired about my services last season when they played their last 5 home matches at TFS which I announced for them. I had no plans to go. I’ve been offered a few other clubs over the years but never accepted. However at the start of this season   out of the blue I was told that I was no longer part of the media plans at FFC. To say I was hurt was an understatement. This was soon overturned and and I was given an apology from the board but after that happened I took Queens Park up on their offer. It honesty was one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever made. There was a financial reason as well. I’m now self employed as a broadcaster and event host and to be blunt. I need the money! Queens Park pay me very well whilst the position at Falkirk is voluntary. Make no mistake, I’m a Falkirk fan through and through. That will never change. Queens Park is a job, no more. There are 6 more fixture clashes this season where I won’t be there. I’ll still be announcing as many games as I can and doing other media work for the club on Falkirk TV on a volunteer basis. I’d like you to know as well that the person standing in for me is called Jack. He’s going way beyond the call of duty to help me and the club as he’s a Bairn who now lives and works in Southampton and travels up to cover the matches I can’t do on a volunteer basis. Jack worked with me for a couple of seasons a while ago when he still lived locally operating the sound and covering reserve games etc. Please make him welcome in my absence. I hope this helps explain the situation. UNQUOTE

This seems to be the Dave Mac FB post. It really does get worse and worse.

19 hours ago, Zbairn said:

He was mince yesterday and rightly hooked. He had two very good chances in the opening half to take a first time shot and wanted extra touches. By then he was closed down or forced to pass it. A good striker has the instinct to hit the ball first time and make the goalie work. He tries hard but he is not a striker and never will be. I'd put him in the Jamie Wilson category. 

This is the sort of comment I mean when saying Ruth gets a much harder time than Keena.  Jaime Wilson category - c'mon! 

Here are some facts:

Ruth - played 8 scored 3

Keena - Played 14 scored 3

Again I'm not for a second suggesting Ruth is amazing but why he continually gets flak while Keena is preferred by most is a mystery to me.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

3 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

This is the sort of comment I mean when saying Ruth gets a much harder time than Keena.  Jaime Wilson category - c'mon! 

Here are some facts:

Ruth - played 8 scored 3

Again I'm not for a second suggesting Ruth is amazing but why he continually gets flak while Keena is preferred by most is a mystery to me.  

I never said he was worse than Keena...just that he is rubbish. He is too lightwight and over his playing time on the park has missed loads of chances any half decent striker would have buried.

3 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

QUOTE Happy to answer this Arthur Thom. Queens Park had enquired about my services last season when they played their last 5 home matches at TFS which I announced for them. I had no plans to go. I’ve been offered a few other clubs over the years but never accepted. However at the start of this season   out of the blue I was told that I was no longer part of the media plans at FFC. To say I was hurt was an understatement. This was soon overturned and and I was given an apology from the board but after that happened I took Queens Park up on their offer. It honesty was one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever made. There was a financial reason as well. I’m now self employed as a broadcaster and event host and to be blunt. I need the money! Queens Park pay me very well whilst the position at Falkirk is voluntary. Make no mistake, I’m a Falkirk fan through and through. That will never change. Queens Park is a job, no more. There are 6 more fixture clashes this season where I won’t be there. I’ll still be announcing as many games as I can and doing other media work for the club on Falkirk TV on a volunteer basis. I’d like you to know as well that the person standing in for me is called Jack. He’s going way beyond the call of duty to help me and the club as he’s a Bairn who now lives and works in Southampton and travels up to cover the matches I can’t do on a volunteer basis. Jack worked with me for a couple of seasons a while ago when he still lived locally operating the sound and covering reserve games etc. Please make him welcome in my absence. I hope this helps explain the situation. UNQUOTE

This seems to be the Dave Mac FB post. It really does get worse and worse.

Outstanding commitment from both Dave and Jack. Imagine travelling from Southampton just to cover matches!!

Both should know that the work that they do is very much appreciated by Falkirk supporters!

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Here are some facts:

Ruth - played 8 scored 3

How many minutes have each of them played though?

If you put together a squad of the best 22 players in L1, you would expect FFC to have somewhere around 6 to 10 of them. We will have what, 2 or 3 at the most?

Edited by Duncan Freemason

8 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

How many minutes have each of them played though?

Ruth has had more 90s to be fair so has a slightly higher mins per goal but his shot accuracy and goal conversion rate is better than Keena's which backs up the argument that Keena doesn't get himself into enough goal scoring positions:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/falkirk/top-scorers

Based on these stats I'd still argue that is we create more chances, Ruth will get us more goals than Keena. 

Morrison clearly our best player.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

5 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Ruth has had more 90s to be fair so has a slightly higher mins per goal but his shot accuracy and goal conversion rate is better than Keena's which backs up the argument that Keena doesn't get himself into enough goal scoring positions:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/falkirk/top-scorers

Based on these stats I'd still argue that is we create more chances, Ruth will get us more goals than Keena. 

Morrison clearly our best player.  

statistics and damned lies...... his shot accuracy is better as he never takes any shots !   If I only take one shot at goal all season and hit the target I have a shot accuracy of 100%.

Paul Dixon has had as many shots on goal as Ruth and he is a centre half...albeit played more minutes.

It's always fucked me off that we rely so much on free time from volunteers. 

Partly because it's taking advantage of people and relying on their being fans and also because we often get substandard (not Dave Mac) quality because whoever is doing it is doing it for free.

Even Connor Park, who ended up a paid employee,  did his role for free for ages.

Edited by FalkirkBairn2021

51 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

If you put together a squad of the best 22 players in L1, you would expect FFC to have somewhere around 6 to 10 of them. We will have what, 2 or 3 at the most?

McCann, Williamson, Telfer, Nesbitt, Morrison and Dixon should be there or thereabouts, wouldn't know about the keepers. If we had signed the full "best of League 1" squad, we'd still make sure to make them all look crap in any case.