The Falkirk FC Thread

17 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

If stability of personnel means keeping Brad McKay and Ben Hall I'm not for it .

The only reason we've got rid of 20 players a season is because they're brutal. Each crop is worse than the one before it.

We need to sign much better players. Statement of the obvious but that's the reality. 

And these jokers had the nerve to trash the last managers' signings and preen about their own, which are certainly no better and arguably worse. 

Absolutely no idea why anyone's giving Sheerin a pass. Can only assume its because he seems like a guy you'd go for a round of golf with.

The reason we do not sign better players is that FFC are seen as a hire and fire outfit and therefore an unstable and unreliable employer.

You gave one of the main reasons in your post - getting rid of 20 players a season. Throwing in manager turn round a disfunctional board with a support with little patience.

Rightly potential signings see all that speak to ex players to get the lay of the land - and say No.

That's why the squad is such poor quality.

The club are going round in circles  - Unsuitable manager*- player clear out - Bad signings - Poor results - Lose the support - Sack manager - employ*

54 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

PS. Why are posts appearing on here suggesting that Holt is actually pulling the strings on the park? Is there some sort of Sheerin love in going on? Sheerin is accountable for our 90 min on the park failures and let’s not pretend otherwise

50 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Absolutely no idea why anyone's giving Sheerin a pass. Can only assume its because he seems like a guy you'd go for a round of golf with.

Pretty much agree, Sheerin sets the team out to try and get us results. We are well into the second quarter now and it's still the same dreadful level of performance and poor results. He's got to go and before someone in this league does a Partick and actually finds some form and consistency (edit to add it won't be us) 

I think it's clear that we need a new Striker - Keena is arguably the best we have right now, I don't think he's the type of striker that will win us the league, but he's miles better than golden boy Ruth! I wouldn't be surprised if the loan deal with Aberdeen has a clause which says he should be our number 1 striker regardless, I mean, look at the incompetent bufoon that deals with contracts! 

I'd like to see Ruth sent back up the road with Dowds coming the opposite way, whilst that may not be the answer to our scoring problems, it's at least an obvious improvement. 

The problem with that however, is Dowds probably wouldn't be happy coming back so why would he bother to try, he has a point to prove up there after being sent away whilst we bring in an absolute haddie of a young boy in place of him! He would probably be disgruntled at having to drop back down a league to an absolute car crash of a club where nobody seems able to create chances for the strikers. 

As well as this, it would mean Holt would have to admit he made a mistake by doing those deals in the first and there's absolutely no way that arrogant knob jockey will admit to being wrong about anything! 

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’ve been all for getting rid of Sheerin for about 4 weeks now however the more I hear of murmurings of Holt picking the team when M&M were in charge and again now, it really makes you wonder if that would help.

The key word being "murmurings". Because to date, there has not been a single shred of concrete, incontrovertible proof produced to demonstrate that Holt is having a direct influence on team selection or tactics or formation or substitution. And until there is, responsibility for what is being produced every Saturday lies at Sheerin's door and his alone.

And even if Holt was shown to be interfering. What would that say about Sheerin? How does that reflect on him? A puppet, happy to be the front man and dance to Holt's tune rather than succeed or fail on his own efforts and abilities? Not really the type of character I'd entrust to manage the club tbh. Who knows, maybe Holt will be gone tomorrow and Sheerin will automatically turn into Guardiola Mk II as some seem to believe would happen. But I doubt it. I don't think we'll be going anywhere in a hurry until the pair of them - and plenty others - are long gone.

6 minutes ago, some_guy said:

I think it's clear that we need a new Striker - Keena is arguably the best we have right now, I don't think he's the type of striker that will win us the league, but he's miles better than golden boy Ruth! I wouldn't be surprised if the loan deal with Aberdeen has a clause which says he should be our number 1 striker regardless, I mean, look at the incompetent bufoon that deals with contracts! 

Rubbish- Ruth is by no means good enough to be our main striker but I don’t get this idea that we have a superstar sitting on the bench.

Keena has had minutes in most games this season and has done very little in most of them. 

All I can remember him doing yesterday is managing to turn a Falkirk attack into an Alloa throw-in.

26 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Pretty much agree, Sheerin sets the team out to try and get us results. We are well into the second quarter now and it's still the same dreadful level of performance and poor results. He's got to go and before someone in this league does a Partick and actually finds some form and consistency (edit to add it won't be us) 

I've been thinking and saying this to others for a few weeks. We showed a glimpse of our best against Queen's last weekend but have looked average all season. Team selection isn't helping and Hartley's recruitment is a major factor. I doubt we'll stretch away or make a killer January signing.

Been very impressed with Airdrie and Montrose. Those teams are most likely in my opinion although Morrison coming back will undoubtedly strengthen the Bairns and I expect an uptick in Falkirk's form. I don't have much confidence in Sheerin's or Hartley's recruitment. Ian Murray and Stewart Petrie I'd have much more confidence in finding a player.

Guest Caractacus Potts
27 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

The reason we do not sign better players is that FFC are seen as a hire and fire outfit and therefore an unstable and unreliable employer.

You gave one of the main reasons in your post - getting rid of 20 players a season. Throwing in manager turn round a disfunctional board with a support with little patience.

Rightly potential signings see all that speak to ex players to get the lay of the land - and say No.

That's why the squad is such poor quality.

The club are going round in circles  - Unsuitable manager*- player clear out - Bad signings - Poor results - Lose the support - Sack manager - employ*

Yet you can never give any examples of this whatsoever! 

Paul Sheerin has already moved up a rung in the longest serving managers. To suggest we’re completely unique in our approach to managing with failure is entirely false. There’s little clubs I know that wouldn’t be called a basket case club given your criteria and until you give an actual example of a person refusing to come to us because of the reasons you suggest then I’m not subscribing to that.

What I would suggest would be more off putting is the way our esteemed board have treated ex players with their open critique on previous staff. 

34 minutes ago, falkirkbairn23 said:

Agree that we need a new striker. But, we genuinely created next to nothing yesterday

We are back to praying that Morrison stays fit and even then there is noone able to take any chances we create.  I'd get mcdaid back to dundee and maybe have a word with them re jakubiaks situation in January. They seem to have plenty striking options.

Houston's biggest mistake was letting the world know he was packing it in at the end of the season. No real surprise that the players then downed tools.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Rubbish- Ruth is by no means good enough to be our main striker but I don’t get this idea that we have a superstar sitting on the bench.

Keena has had minutes in most games this season and has done very little in most of them. 

All I can remember him doing yesterday is managing to turn a Falkirk attack into an Alloa throw-in.

Ruth has had a lot more minutes in mosr of the games (if not all) and has been abysmal, all about opinions but personally I'd prefer Keena to start over Ruth. 

A quick scan of the socials today seems to indicate that the majority of supporters appear to be accepting this as the new standard. There doesn't seem to be any anger at yesterday's result, more... 'oh well onto next week'? Are the supporters on here out of touch with the bulk of the fanbase or are they just happy clappers? I find where we are completely depressing, but I also find myself agreeing with others that I find myself caring less week on week. Holt needs to go, but I've seen absolutely nothing from Sheerin to indicate he has what it takes to manage Falkirk. Just a bit scunner to be honest.

5 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

A quick scan of the socials today seems to indicate that the majority of supporters appear to be accepting this as the new standard. There doesn't seem to be any anger at yesterday's result, more... 'oh well onto next week'? Are the supporters on here out of touch with the bulk of the fanbase or are they just happy clappers? I find where we are completely depressing, but I also find myself agreeing with others that I find myself caring less week on week. Holt needs to go, but I've seen absolutely nothing from Sheerin to indicate he has what it takes to manage Falkirk. Just a bit scunner to be honest.

I reckon with the Sheerin thing if "as has been suggested on here" that Holt is dipping his fingers into the team, then you could look at it with the point of view he is just an arse on a seat and his input other than on paper as manager doesn't mean anything if he has no real say into team selection or players so what's the point in upsetting the apple cart, the only saving grace we have had so far he hasn't had to pick Holts laddie.

Until we have some form of change in ownership or directorship, think most of us have accepted it is what it is until then, until things change its accept the situation for what it is.  The longer that GD and Colburn drag this out the longer fans will stay away and accept the apathy for what it is.  

1 hour ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Said before and I'll say again, no point getting rid of Sheerin if Holt stays. Holt led the process that saw Sheerin appointed, we couldn't allow him to do that again. 

True. Especially when most didn't want another rookie coach apart from Holt and the board. 

21 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Proudtobeabairn 

He's not being given much of a chance - isolated up front, no partner, wingers providing nothing.  Look he's not brilliant but for folk to be inexplicably be rating Keena over him and saying stuff like no one played badly yesterday except Ruth is just BS.  For me, he's shown that with decent support he'd score goals in this league.  Maybe with Morrison and Williamson back the strikers will get more than 1 chance a game.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

26 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

He's not being given much of a chance - isolated up front, no partner, wingers providing nothing.  Look he's not brilliant but for folk to be inexplicably be rating Keena over him and saying stuff like no one played badly yesterday except Ruth is just BS.  For me, he's shown that with decent support he'd score goals in this league.  Maybe with Morrison and Williamson back the strikers will get more than 1 chance a game.  

For me that`s the problem for both Keena and Ruth. They aren`t getting a great supply in and around the box. As long as that continues it wouldn`t much matter who you played as striker they would be starved of service and look bad. Hopeful that will improve if we can keep Williamson and Morrison fit.