The Falkirk FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I’m all for ridiculing the board. It’s them that are embarrassing, not the club. Just don’t let them own the joke. 

I agree. my angle on this was more fans putting more pressure and publicity on the absurd board behaviour by highlighting how ridiculous they are. not them owning it or making money out of it. 

On 26/10/2021 at 13:02, Zbairn said:

We are signing players based on some statistical analysis system. The numbers might look good....but by God, the players the data is throwing up as half decent are mince !

In saying that...I don't know how you can sign someone with negative numbers....unless it's the DoF's laddie !

I find that ridiculous. It's similar to the appointment of a Director of Football in League 1 (like we had the last 3 years). It is trying to run before you can walk. Getting out of this league isn't easy, but it is quite simple. You get a manager who understands the level he is working at, understands the type of players he needs to win at this level and he's given the chance to go and sign them and organise them into a team. Ian McCall won promotion twice from this league in recent years by signing his old mates, Dick Campball and John McGlynn have also had success by using their knowledge of this level to sign suitable players who they trust to do a job. There is/was nothing fancy about their recruitment process or style of play.

Statistical analysis to sign players is what you might use at the top level to gain a tiny advantage on your rivals. And a Director of Football is for clubs who hand out 5 year contracts to players, sack managers every year and can't afford to just empty their squad every 12 months for the new manager. They therefore need some continuity with recruitment which the Director of Football brings. At this level most players are on 1 year contracts, if they are hopeless you release them all and start again, there is no need for someone other than the manager to be having a say in signing players. We had a DofF for the last few years and it led to a totally unbalanced squad made up of guys that the manager had signed and players the DofF had signed. It is early days this season but the removal of our DofF seems to have resulted in a squad more inkeeping with how Murray wants to play.

It must be difficult given the size of the club for this level but it seems to me Falkirk really need to go back to basics to get out of this mess. All these extra things are things you start to add in when just the fundamentals are no longer enough. From the outside it just seems like they are overcomplicating things.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

25 minutes ago, superandy_07 said:

Full game is up now 

Goals

https://youtu.be/sSKOkBUmor8?t=404 Johnny Armstrong
https://youtu.be/sSKOkBUmor8?t=1272 Evro goal
https://youtu.be/sSKOkBUmor8?t=3653 Ben Weekes
https://youtu.be/sSKOkBUmor8?t=4289 Jaime Wilson 
https://youtu.be/sSKOkBUmor8?t=4659 Craig McGuffie
https://youtu.be/sSKOkBUmor8?t=4961 Jaime Wilson

6 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I find that ridiculous. It's similar to the appointment of a Director of Football in League 1 (like we had the last 3 years). It is trying to run before you can walk. Getting out of this league isn't easy, but it is quite simple. You get a manager who understands the level he is working at, understands the type of players he needs to win at this level and he's given the chance to go and sign them and organise them into a team. Ian McCall won promotion twice from this league in recent years by signing his old mates, Dick Campball and John McGlynn have also had success by using their knowledge of this level to sign suitable players who they trust to do a job. There is/was nothing fancy about their recruitment process or style of play.

Statistical analysis to sign players is what you might use at the top level to gain a tiny advantage on your rivals. And a Director of Football is for clubs who hand out 5 year contracts to players, sack managers every year and can't afford to just empty their squad every 12 months for the new manager. They therefore need some continuity with recruitment which the Director of Football brings. At this level most players are on 1 year contracts, if they are hopeless you release them all and start again, there is no need for someone other than the manager to be having a say in signing players. We had a DofF for the last few years and it led to a totally unbalanced squad made up of guys that the manager had signed and players the DofF had signed. It is early days this season but the removal of our DofF seems to have resulted in a squad more inkeeping with how Murray wants to play.

It must be difficult given the size of the club for this level but it seems to me Falkirk really need to go back to basics go get out of this mess. All these extra things are things you start to add in when just the fundamentals are no longer enough. From the outside it just seems like they are overcomplicating things.

I think we have got to the stage where it seems there are too many auld pals there for "experience" to the board what they have brought to the table than condemnation of the fans from what we have seen/heard so much as nothing for individuals that have got PR experience to come out with its the fans booing and negativity and threats blah blah. to move onto the Mr that's a statement not a question who went into a pissing contest with the "you say you've been a supporter for 45 years I've been one for 60 yrs" with the business experience.  As mentioned I posted earlier threats by fans against board members what about the member of the board that was threatened by another board member or is that acceptable because it was a board member.

I can understand what Rawlings is trying to do put the infrastructure in place but director of football Gary Holt there has got to have been someone better than that.

There is absolutely no statistics that make signing Brad McKay on a fucking 3 year deal look good. An abysmal defender that we’re going to be stuck with for years to come.

Out of all the dross, wasted money and dreadful signings over the last 10 years that signing is the worst of the lot. 3 years ffs.

Just watched the Evro game.  Good that big Erni got a full 90 mins.  A few lost looking Falkirk players (trialists?).  Didn't play the same tippy tappy as the 1st team.  We were matched by a bunch of laddies 1st half.  That Luke Murphy, their left winger, looked pretty handy 1st half.  Credit where credit is due, fantastic finish by Jamie Wilson for the fifth.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn

2 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Just watched the Evro game.  Good that big Erni got a full 90 mins.  A few lost looking Falkirk players (trialists?).  Didn't play the same shape as the 1st team.  We were matched by a bunch of laddies 1st half.  That Luke Murphy, their left winger, looked pretty handy 1st half.  Credit where credit is due, fantastic finish by Jamie Wilson for the fifth.

Yes, it was a hard watch.

Worst for us were Ompreon and the trialist CF, Sinclair.

Impressed with EVRO.

It must be difficult given the size of the club for this level but it seems to me Falkirk really need to go back to basics to get out of this mess. All these extra things are things you start to add in when just the fundamentals are no longer enough. From the outside it just seems like they are overcomplicating things.

I totally agree with this. The managers you mention all have one thing that we seriously lack right through the majority of our board, Dof and management team that is football experience in their current roles. We are a learning experiment at the moment and that is our downfall.

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Whilst this is no doubt a chance to make a quick buck I find the whole episode that embarrassing I would not go anywhere near this. It makes light of a night that will be not forgotten for years and the negative impact on the club will hang over us for a good while IMO.   

I thought it’d be a better idea for us to all to chip in a tenner and get our board members to wear these T-shirt’s I’ve designed to all our games.

FB1CCA60-F988-40F8-95EC-A107C4F3BF5F.jpeg

Guest Caractacus Potts
8 hours ago, joozy said:

I reckon the magnitude of the damage done to the club in both reputational and financial terms from the other week will only become clearer in the long-run.

The insane levels of player and management turnover in recent years already had made us a deeply unattractive destination.  Therefore we need to pay over the odds or offer ludicrous 3-year deals to attract total diddies.  When you factor in the fact that we're now an international laughing stock with a board that seem quite happy to badmouth ex-players in public.....

Jeez, we'll be having to offer Stranraer's sub keeper Messi-esque wages to sign with us before too long.

The naming players bit was the part I actually think that underlined how poor a board this is. I’m sure they did the same with M and M in the last Q and A. 

To have a go at ex employees is completely wrong. No matter how these guys played, I’m pretty sure they tried their hardest. In no way should you criticise them. Not only will word go around the footballing world but I guarantee there will be current members of our squad who will be thinking what will they say about me when I leave. Even Sheerin himself probably thought that too after the M and M comments. 

Pretty sure they had a pop at Kieran as well when they said the CEO was an upgrade on the Commercial Director. Not having a go Jamie Swinney but don’t kid us on. It’s a new title but he’ll be doing the exact same duties as Kieran. 

In any case what happens if we want to sign a mate of Robbie Leitch, Mercer, Miller or McCracken. You think they’ll want to join us after that!? 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

2 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

The naming players bit was the part I actually think that underlined how poor a board this is. I’m sure they did the same with M and M in the last Q and A. 

To have a go at ex employees is completely wrong. No matter how these guys played, I’m pretty sure they tried their hardest. In no way should you criticise them. Not only will word go around the footballing world but I guarantee there will be current members of our squad who will be thinking what will they say about me when I leave. Even Sheerin himself probably thought that too after the M and M comments. 

Pretty sure they had a pop at Kieran as well when they said the CEO was an upgrade on the Commercial Director. Not having a go Jamie Swinney but don’t kid us on. It’s a new title but he’ll be doing the exact same duties as Kieran. 

In any case what happens if we want to sign a mate of Robbie Leitch, Mercer, Miller or McCracken. You think they’ll want to join us after that!? 

Not sure that happened, although I could be wrong. Rawlins did say though that Swinney will be doing what Kieran did and that the title on the door has merely changed.

Guest Caractacus Potts
16 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Not sure that happened, although I could be wrong. Rawlins did say though that Swinney will be doing what Kieran did and that the title on the door has merely changed.

Sure Deans said it was an upgrade. Need to check back. 

Edit to add: Deans says it around 24:00. Says that Jamie is a step up from what they had previously which was obviously Kieran. 

Whether true or not, we’ll wait to see but again it’s a bit of a dig at those previous employees who no doubt he’d have been praising to high heaven at the time. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

3 hours ago, superandy_07 said:

Wish you'd posted this before the full game, would have saved my eyes bleeding!

Having said that, it saved the score line glossing over a poor performance. Evro playing the way I think Sheerin wants us to although their pretty play didn't really get them very far.

First half we were absolutely murder; I felt big Krasniqi showed us why Sheerin isn't playing him. He was poor, although, like the team, he improved in the 2nd half. Commentator certainly had it in for him but he really should have been booked for persistent fouling. Lemon too TBH.

The young RB got a roasting by the winger in the 1st half, being left on his arse a couple of times, although I thought he improved and ended up having quite a good 2nd. Best bit of skill (by a Falkirk player) was a brilliant bit of control by Wilson to get him through on goal and he also took his 2nd goal very well.

No idea why the ref. gave the 2nd penalty and the 1st (won by Keena ;)) looked a wee bit harsh as well.

TBH, after an hour or so, I was thinking that the score line must have been reported the wrong way round or that Evro had either had a man sent off or that we'd brought on Telfer & Nesbitt. Turns out that the latter was true.

Guest Back Post Misses
30 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

You are wrong 

2 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Sure Deans said it was an upgrade. Need to check back. 

Edit to add: Deans says it around 24:00. Says that Jamie is a step up from what they had previously which was obviously Kieran. 

Whether true or not, we’ll wait to see but again it’s a bit of a dig at those previous employees who no doubt he’d have been praising to high heaven at the time. 

He did, you're right.

Guest Back Post Misses
3 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Well, I've never claimed to be perfect although I suppose I'm about as close as you'd get to it! :thumsup2

A close 2nd is always good 😂