The Falkirk FC Thread

11 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Not sure if our playing budget will be comfortably the biggest as Cove and Queens Park look like they have a few on decent wages. Agree that our recruitment has been poor though. 

Rawlins stated quite clearly it is and I would expect so when you compare it to the squads at cove and queen's park.  We are signing the wrong players. Instead of trying to sign guys that are at a higher level get guys used to this division who are happy to get their sleeves rolled up . That's how the majority have other sides have won this league.

15 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

I don't know if you listened to the entire thing Shadwell, but towards the end of the piece Broadfoot said "you know who I felt really sorry for? The two guys there with football experience, Gary Holt and Paul Sheerin. They know the game, know what you can and can't say etc etc, they looked embarassed etc".

Now either Broadfoot has only watched the clips with Deans and Colburn, or he has no issue with Holt talking to people like they are shite on his shoe. Either way, it seems that your esteemed Sporting Director/Director of Football/wage thief is going to get away (in parts of the media anyway) scot free. 

I certainly did. That's a typical media view unfortunately. Not the football guys fault expecially the guy that spends his spare time on the radio discussing games funnily enough. No comment either on Sheerins piss poor performance either. I'm sure once deans finally gets the boot Holt won't be long in following him . Deans off at the moment due to pressures of work supposedly. Wouldn't wish I'll health on anyone but perhaps this will be his best excuse to call it a day.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Guest Caractacus Potts
3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Rawlins stated quite clearly it is and I would expect so when you compare it to the squads at cove and queen's park.  We are signing the wrong players. Instead of trying to sign guys that are at a higher level get guys used to this division who are happy to get their sleeves rolled up . That's how the majority have other sides have won this league.

I’m taking things the Rawlins say with a pinch of salt at the moment. If we are forking out for guys like McKay and Hetherington though then more fool us. 

Guest Back Post Misses
15 minutes ago, some_guy said:

First team (I've been told) are playing a bounce game agaibst Evro academy at 1pm this afternoon, here's a link to watch the match live:

The CF from Bo’ness will be playing I understand. That Academy has Young’s players from all over Europe playing for them 

2 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I’m taking things the Rawlins say with a pinch of salt at the moment. If we are forking out for guys like McKay and Hetherington though then more fool us. 

We will be as they are coming from championship sides. That's the problem. Overpaying for players from higher leagues when there are more suitable players we could get for less in our own league 

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We will be as they are coming from championship sides. That's the problem. Overpaying for players from higher leagues when there are more suitable players we could get for less in our own league 

Yeh no doubt but thinking Cove brought in Fyvie, Logan, Draper and Vigurs who dropped down from the Premiership. 

Edit to add: not Fyvie as he came from Championship Dundee United at the time. Would expect him to still be on good money though. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

The CF from Bo’ness will be playing I understand. That Academy has Young’s players from all over Europe playing for them 

For the academy team I assume you mean? 

We could do a lot worse than have a look at him. He might be playing at a very poor level with Bo'ness Athletic but he's scored 5x more goals this season than any forward in our squad has over the last 18 months. 

19 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

I’m not saying it was great but I did see more than I have done for a wee while. If I had my choice right now I’d want a new manager but I’m not going to say I didn’t see improvement just because I want him gone. 

I do think we will get a wee run going in the next month or so but long term I don’t think he will do! 

Id love to share your enthusiasm that we will go on a little run, I just can't see it. I'm not too sure a new manager would have those powers to do that too. The squad we have doesn't have much to sing about, two very raw strikers, a competition winner one on loan and Keena who has had little success so far. Two wide players who have been around the block, one important one injured,Telfer and Nesbitt can be the shining lights, the shield Hetherington is a donkey, the other Krasniqi is untried. Two new full backs, one that can't defend and one that we will be fortunate to see play double figures in games. The centre defence a car crash and both goalkeepers aok.

the bizarre thing is the Q&A said the recruitment is better 😂😂😂

The arguement we are missing chances and one day they will go in isn't really valid for me, perhaps those players capabilities is to miss them.

21 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Yeh no doubt but thinking Cove brought in Fyvie, Logan, Draper and Vigurs who dropped down from the Premiership. 

Edit to add: not Fyvie as he came from Championship Dundee United at the time. Would expect him to still be on good money though. 

Draper has been pretty shite and punted to Elgin but yes there's nothing wrong with having two or three of these players mixed in with players used to the lower leagues. We've got far too many though in my  opinion and spent far too long trying to sign strikers we had little chance of persuading to come to Falkirk it would seem. For 3 seasons now we've looked to higher leagues for the vast majority of our players and it hasn't worked. I'd also be opening the door to a small number of part time players in our squad too as that allows you to cast your net far wider for players at this level.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

18 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Id love to share your enthusiasm that we will go on a little run, I just can't see it. I'm not too sure a new manager would have those powers to do that too. The squad we have doesn't have much to sing about, two very raw strikers, a competition winner one on loan and Keena who has had little success so far. Two wide players who have been around the block, one important one injured,Telfer and Nesbitt can be the shining lights, the shield Hetherington is a donkey, the other Krasniqi is untried. Two new full backs, one that can't defend and one that we will be fortunate to see play double figures in games. The centre defence a car crash and both goalkeepers aok.

the bizarre thing is the Q&A said the recruitment is better 😂😂😂

The arguement we are missing chances and one day they will go in isn't really valid for me, perhaps those players capabilities is to miss them.

Still waiting for MacFarlane to produce more of his better signing comparisons. Said there was loads of examples and managed to provide two , one of those a crock .

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

...We are signing the wrong players. Instead of trying to sign guys that are at a higher level get guys used to this division who are happy to get their sleeves rolled up . That's how the majority have other sides have won this league.

Ayr, Raith and Partick didn't do that to any degree more than we have. Arbroath the exception but they have Dick Campbell who could probably make me a baller!

If anything, the obvious factor might be management - McCall (2), McGlynn and Campbell - but then we had experience in Ray, who contributed so much to where we find ourselves now.

Edited by Blame Me
Typo

19 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Still waiting for MacFarlane to produce more of his better signing comparisons. Said there was loads of examples and managed to provide two , one of those a crock .

We are signing players based on some statistical analysis system. The numbers might look good....but by God, the players the data is throwing up as half decent are mince !

In saying that...I don't know how you can sign someone with negative numbers....unless it's the DoF's laddie !

Guest Caractacus Potts

Just thinking again with regards to my comments about infrastructure. 

It feels like the management speak for ‘we aim to play football the correct way’. Just something to sell to fans but means absolutely nothing more than doing the job at hand. For a chair that’s simply employing the right people, something we seem to struggle with as managers often struggle to play football ‘the right way’.

What infrastructure do you need to be a successful football club? A good stadium, good facilities and a decent fan base. We have all of that. A youth system would be good but we always brought through youth players regardless. The first team should be everything just now. 

I may need correcting but when David Holmes was chairman he was in charge of everything. He didn’t have to fill the club with mid level management positions to try impress fans and pull the wool over their eyes. All resources were focussed towards the first team. 

We’re not a public limited company nor should we ever want to be. We should remain what we have always been, a good community club. Just need to find the correct people to run it. 

30 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Ayr, Raith and Partick didn't do that to any degree more than we have. Arbroath the exception but they have Dick Campbell who could probably make me a baller!

If anything, the obvious factor might be management - McCall (2), McGlynn and Campbell - but then we had experience in Ray, who contributed so much to where we find ourselves now.

Raith and Ayr teams were full of punters from the lower leagues. Grant Anderson paddy boyle and the like including part timers.  Neither were enticing players from the championship on bigger wages and longer contracts. Livi were the same full of misfits and junior players. Patrick would still be in this league if we hadn't been so shite last season as by the time their players got to grips with things it should've been too late 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

I can't believe* the clubs management** have been consistently rinsed on just about every mainstream media outlet that covers Scottish Football in a meaningful way, SPECIFICALLY about the way they have treated the fans of the club, and they haven't seen fit to offer up any sort of follow ups, clarifications or apologies. 

*I mean, I can.... Of these morons, but framing the situation using the standards of anyone who isn't an arrogant clown.....

** including an apparent PR expert, who should be joint first of the 3 or 4 that get loaded simultaneously into the trebuchet based on what cannot be described as anything other than an unmitigated PR disaster in which he actually took part.....

Guest Caractacus Potts
18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I can't believe* the clubs management** have been consistently rinsed on just about every mainstream media outlet that covers Scottish Football in a meaningful way, SPECIFICALLY about the way they have treated the fans of the club, and they haven't seen fit to offer up any sort of follow ups, clarifications or apologies. 

*I mean, I can.... Of these morons, but framing the situation using the standards of anyone who isn't an arrogant clown.....

** including an apparent PR expert, who should be joint first of the 3 or 4 that get loaded simultaneously into the trebuchet based on what cannot be described as anything other than an unmitigated PR disaster in which he actually took part.....

I’ve been saying it for months, as have others. This is how they operate. They managed to get away with finishing 5th in league One and didn’t even bother putting the match report up. There’s been a plethora of other things they just deny or ignore. They get away with it as all it takes is a win on a Saturday for things to blow over. I’ve seen several people even try to put a positive spin on the point we gained versus Peterhead! A few wins and we can go top but that doesn’t change how abysmal our club has been managed and the contempt our board has for its fans. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The Case Of The 3 Monkeys Is Tearing Twitter In Two | KRWG