The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

So no sign of any sacrificial lambs in the build up to the Q&A.  Fully expected there would be at least 1 departure before tomorrow night to try to quell the anger. There may still be but it looks like they're going to try and front it out which is bold if nothing else.  

I just hope most posters (and certainly the most vocal) on here are going tomorrow night to confront the board & Holt etc directly or have at the very least submitted questions (I certainly have).  There is no better way to get your anger across than to turn up tomorrow night and make your feelings known.  

Really hope the questions go beyond "why doesn't Keena start" and get to the real root causes of our complete collapse in recent weeks and who is to blame for the current shambles.  

Aye, that's key for me. This season started off with a bit of promise, players trying to do well and putting in the effort. The last few weeks though, we've just fallen off a cliff and we need to know why. It looks like Sheerin may have fallen out with Dixon and Mutch so, is it dressing room unrest or is Holt trying to influence things too much?

Just what the f**k is going on? 

Guest Caractacus Potts
42 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

So no sign of any sacrificial lambs in the build up to the Q&A.  Fully expected there would be at least 1 departure before tomorrow night to try to quell the anger. There may still be but it looks like they're going to try and front it out which is bold if nothing else.  

I just hope most posters (and certainly the most vocal) on here are going tomorrow night to confront the board & Holt etc directly or have at the very least submitted questions (I certainly have).  There is no better way to get your anger across than to turn up tomorrow night and make your feelings known.  

Really hope the questions go beyond "why doesn't Keena start" and get to the real root causes of our complete collapse in recent weeks and who is to blame for the current shambles.  

Guess you’ve relented on your assertions that we will scoosh this league now? 

5 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Aye, that's key for me. This season started off with a bit of promise, players trying to do well and putting in the effort. The last few weeks though, we've just fallen off a cliff and we need to know why. It looks like Sheerin may have fallen out with Dixon and Mutch so, is it dressing room unrest or is Holt trying to influence things too much?

Seemed like he'd found his team/formation & plan by the end of the Clyde game.

Then has changed it every week since.

Guest Caractacus Potts
7 minutes ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

I really want to know why a team with ability and drive in August has turned into a mess since. There must be a reason for the loss of spirit. Is Holt the problem or Sheerin? Please sort it soon or all goodwill will be lost for good

I just think when you set up to play that way it doesn’t take long for other teams to suss you out. They will just sit back organise their defence and wait to hit us on the counter.

The way Sheerin had it relied on a little bit of brilliance to break down the defences. We had that with Morrison and a little with Nesbit however he’s never been much of a goal scorer in his career. 

Look at the goal we scored against Dumbarton(I think) where there was a lot of foaming at the mouth over a 19 pass move. We very nearly gave up possession which would allowed a clear cut opportunity during it but the goal itself was a good deep cross by Morrison for McGuffie? to score. The rest of the passes were pretty insignificant to the goal that was scored. 

We don’t seem to be set up to take advantage of other teams weaknesses and we seem to have exposed a lot of our own. 

Guest Back Post Misses
8 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

IMO they were never going to. During conversations over the summer with the NB it was pretty clear to me Rawlins will do it his way and won’t be blown about in the wind by what the fans say. 
He is welded to Holt and the Board and dumping Sheerin now would be an admission of being wrong. 
If anything happens today I would be surprised. But you live in hope 

2 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

IMO they were never going to. During conversations over the summer with the NB it was pretty clear to me Rawlins will do it his way and won’t be blown about in the wind by what the fans say.

Agreed. They can't talk about implementing a football model and then bin it after 4 months.

Whether the assembled staff are correct for the model is where most questions should be concentrated. 

Had it been someone other than Holt would there be such an issue.

His Falkirk signings previously were unspectacular (Durojayie, Roberts) when we were a bigger draw and hadn't Martindale, now manager, been the main recruiter at Livi.

8 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Guess you’ve relented on your assertions that we will scoosh this league now? 

I still believe we have the players, however limited, to scoosh this (very poor) league.  As many others have said a good 6/7 of our strongest starting XI would most likely find championship teams if we released them today. 

With the recent tactics and head scratching team selections/subs we're our own worst enemy.  The question is why do we continue to self harm when the league is there for the taking for anyone who can put together a half decent run.  Who is calling the shots and why?  

On 17/10/2021 at 11:26, Shadwell Dog said:

You listen to that interview and there is no anger or real concern from sheerin it's all very easy osey.  He'd be giving interviews like that when he was managing Arbroath in this league. A very different Arbroath then than today. One that was happy to try and stay in league one and nothing more. 

Not that I have any interest in defending Paul Sheerin, but possibly worth noting that in Arbroath's first two seasons in this division under Sheerin before they collapsed into relegation they finished second then fifth. Sound familiar?

Edited by Dunning1874

9 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

What's going on ? Sheerin has lost the dressing room, the players don't buy into or believe in what he is doing.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

He is welded to Holt and the Board and dumping Sheerin now would be an admission of being wrong. 
If anything happens today I would be surprised. But you live in hope 

I presume his way - whatever that actually is, as he doesn't deign to communicate with the proles - is not going to be especially well-served by us drudging about the middle reaches of League 1, losing four of our first ten league games, suffering 3 home defeats by mid-October, having a Head Coach who's now decided that being "stuffy" and hard to beat in a piss-poor, predominantly part-time league is the way to go.

We keep being told by his cheerleaders what wonderful football knowledge and experience he has and how lucky we are to have them.  Removing a completely unnecessary Sporting Director and a floundering Head Coach isn't being blown in the wind by what fans say. It would be a recognition of what is glaringly obvious to plenty and taking some decisive action before it's too late and we're stuck at this level - or worse - for another season.

8 hours ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

I really want to know why a team with ability and drive in August has turned into a mess since. There must be a reason for the loss of spirit. Is Holt the problem or Sheerin? Please sort it soon or all goodwill will be lost for good

It’s Holt.

10 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Agree but some folk much prefer mouthing off on a forum,which achieves the square root of f**k all.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Not that I have any interest in defending Paul Sheerin, but possibly worth noting than in Arbroath's first two seasons in this division under Sheerin before they collapsed into relegation they finished second then fifth. Sound familiar?

More reason to punt him now then.

2 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I still believe we have the players, however limited, to scoosh this (very poor) league.  As many others have said a good 6/7 of our strongest starting XI would most likely find championship teams if we released them today. 

The same could be said, if not more so, for Queens' Park. Montrose and Cove wouldn't be far off that either.

I've no idea why you think that merely having 6-7 Championship-ready players in your squad is sufficient to win the league below, never mind 'scoosh' it. 

You'd think that year after year of midtable mediocrity would have taught you that lesson by now. 

2 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

With the recent tactics and head scratching team selections/subs we're our own worst enemy.  The question is why do we continue to self harm when the league is there for the taking for anyone who can put together a half decent run.  Who is calling the shots and why?  

Not sure about the 6/7 best players tbh. QP are unbeaten, have beaten us, are 6 points and 11 goals better off than us and we’ve lost 40% of our league games.

The worrying trend is our seeming inability to halt a slump after one defeat. Last season was the same.  Lost to Airdrie , drew with Patrick then lost to east Fife. We were then saved by the covid break until we lost to Airdrie again and then only won one more game all season against a piss poor Clyde outfit.  Once things start to slip it just seems to pick up pace.