The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Ecosse83
17 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

It is because of two factors.

1. The league we are in and therefore the the marketplace we are shopping in

2. Seen as a hire and fire outfit with managers and squads dumped on a regular basis than does not look good on the CV

All the problems we have can be designated to one or the other. The longer it goes on the more entrenched that becomes in manager and player circles.

Dumping Sheerin bring these factors into play with the danger of the squad downing tools knowing they are on the way out.

That's why the board will stick by their man as the least worse of the options they have.

Why would they be on the way out if Sheerin is sacked? Yes a new manager might want to freshen it up in January with a few signings but his squad is here to stay for the rest of the season! 

Guest Caractacus Potts
14 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

It is because of two factors.

1. The league we are in and therefore the the marketplace we are shopping in

2. Seen as a hire and fire outfit with managers and squads dumped on a regular basis than does not look good on the CV

All the problems we have can be designated to one or the other. The longer it goes on the more entrenched that becomes in manager and player circles.

Dumping Sheerin bring these factors into play with the danger of the squad downing tools knowing they are on the way out.

That's why the board will stick by their man as the least worse of the options they have.

What football teams aren’t hire and fire outfits? Do you ever look at a table of longest serving managers? It really doesn’t take long to climb up that ladder. Sheerin is already 35th on the list. 

The league may play a part, particularly with loan players but money talks. 

You continually say the same things but haven’t singled out a player who has rejected us for the reasons you mention whilst other decent players have went to clubs in our leagues and to others who have fired their managers. 

7 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

What football teams aren’t hire and fire outfits? Do you ever look at a table of longest serving managers? It really doesn’t take long to climb up that ladder. Sheerin is already 35th on the list. 

You continually say the same things but haven’t singled out a player who has rejected us for the reasons you mention whilst other decent players have went to clubs in our leagues and to others who have fired their managers. 

I think one thing that would open up more options for us would be to consider having a small number of part time players on the books.  I can only presume it's snobbery that is preventing our bod from sanctioning this as it's crazy not to consider it.

19 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

When it comes to hire and fire outfits we are in a league of out own.

Players and Managers that have rejected us ! that's easy.

Just look at the signings other clubs have made that we would have been in for and if we weren't then that just confirms my point.

24 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Why would they be on the way out if Sheerin is sacked? Yes a new manager might want to freshen it up in January with a few signings but his squad is here to stay for the rest of the season! 

Why would they be on their way out ?

Because they have not delivered on the pitch.

As for a new face freshening up in January. can only think of 3 - 4 players and manager would keep and trying to dump the rest.

Our squad isnt exactly hugely inspiring but id wager my own money any jobbing Championship type level manager can make a better team out of it than the insipid, sideways passing nonsense we currently get. We have fucked up with Sheerin. I didnt look that way at first but we have. He is lost at sea now. He has no credible reason to turn in any particular direction. Empty is the only option there.

Not hugely convinced theres any great need to be shipping out 10 bodies in January. If we did, id once again wager a significant portion of that 10 would pick up gigs in the league above nae bother. This is happening all the fucking time. Someone/something is infecting one squad after another at Falkirk.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Our squad isnt exactly hugely inspiring but id wager my own money any jobbing Championship type level manager can make a better team out of it than the insipid, sideways passing nonsense we currently get. We have fucked up with Sheerin. I didnt look that way at first but we have. He is lost at sea now. He has no credible reason to turn in any particular direction. Empty is the only option there.

Not hugely convinced theres any great need to be shipping out 10 bodies in January. If we did, id once again wager a significant portion of that 10 would pick up gigs in the league above nae bother. This is happening all the fucking time. Someone/something is infecting one squad after another at Falkirk.

If they are on 2 or 3 year deals whose going to pay the money to punt them anyway?

Guest Caractacus Potts
27 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

When it comes to hire and fire outfits we are in a league of out own.

Players and Managers that have rejected us ! that's easy.

Just look at the signings other clubs have made that we would have been in for and if we weren't then that just confirms my point.

Care to name some? 

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If they are on 2 or 3 year deals whose going to pay the money to punt them anyway?

Aye, thats seperate from my point that we have had utterly pathetic showings from consecutive squads and individuals who then go on to do fine elsewhere, having also done so before us. 

By no means am I saying retrospectively we shouldnt have hunted plenty of these c***s into the trebuchet, but why does it keep happening with alarming consistency? And you can see it coming again. Stevie Hetherington has the Alloa fans totally puzzled as to how shite we have made him, as a pretty obvious example of one who I would bet will waltz back up to the Championship leaving us all once again saying, "wtf happened there" 

We have had a very leaky boardroom in the past.

If there were such serious institutional issues with coaching, DoF or board, have there been no loose lips among the players? Surprising if so, as they are the ones being hounded on the park and are being hung out to dry year after year.

On Holt, this is a classic case of management bollocks. Appointing a SD because the big clubs have one and so must we. In reality we are a League 1 club and should manage ourselves accordingly with the aim of getting promoted at the earliest opportunity. 

Doing what needs to be done - for instance getting in players with quality or potential, enough to mount a challenge to get us out of this division (failed). Appointing a first team manager/head coach with experience of such promotion battles (failed). Outreach with the community (failed). Connecting with the fanbase (failed). Attract inward investment (failed)

No, none of that. What the board feel we need is some European style bollocks trial management system with a sporting director and manager with no experience in such a role. Add to that freebie/useless/cheap as chips players hoping that there is a diamond amongst the sand. 

We need a plan. A realistic plan. We don't have one.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Common theme here is the constant emptying of squads. How many of our rivals recruit new defensive pairings, midfields and strikers every season.

Since Hartley/McKinnon, we've had constant churn whereas before we had fairly static squads with the odd addition - who usually had to wait to dislodge a player.

Our rivals make fewer changes gradually and they seem to supplant the team with younger players. We seem to "clean house" on a pretty regular basis recently. 

That said, what our management (playing/non-playing) have to appreciate is there are expectations on Falkirk that mean you have to compete, win and do all of the above pretty quickly.

What's frustrating from the outside is it's unclear if our performance is a result of the BOD strategy, Holt influence or problems of Sheerin's own making or more likely a combination of all three.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye, thats seperate from my point that we have had utterly pathetic showings from consecutive squads and individuals who then go on to do fine elsewhere, having also done so before us. 

By no means am I saying retrospectively we shouldnt have hunted plenty of these c***s into the trebuchet, but why does it keep happening with alarming consistency? And you can see it coming again. Stevie Hetherington has the Alloa fans totally puzzled as to how shite we have made him, as a pretty obvious example of one who I would bet will waltz back up to the Championship leaving us all once again saying, "wtf happened there" 

The really annoying thing is that I reckon we've at least 9 players that could cut it in the championship and that's not even counting the loanees or youngsters. There is absolutely no doubt that Sheerin's not getting the best out of what he's got. 

They won the middle of the park battle due to them having 3 in there against our 2 in Telfer & Hetherington. Easton had a field day when in reality someone should have put him 10ft up in the air early on. Mckay let his man go for the 2nd after a good save from Martin. Lemon let his man go for the 3rd but given he won every other header apart from that one I find it hard to criticise him. Albeit the majority of his headers ended up out the park. Keena looked like he'd been on a mad one the night before, didn't look fit at all which may have something to do with the knee strap he was wearing. Mcdaid for me was the worst of the lot, he was absolutely honking all game especially his corners and yet he stayed on the park till the very last minutes.

Sheerin should have changed it earlier than he did in the second half but lately he's been second best in most of the tactical battles he's had against opposition management. 

Recruitment for me is the main issue as we've signed more duds rather than actually improving the team yet again. Having Mckay & Hall as one of your starters is criminal. Signing Jaime Wilson to then pop him out on loan to Elgin City in 2 months time is criminal. Opmreon's not been good enough just like Akeel Francis wasn't good enough. Seb Ross is a try hard and puts in plenty of running but he's not going to win you games. Mcguffie & Hetherington are very average. Williamson is definitely an improvement on what we've had but he's never fit. Nesbitt, Martin, Lemon, Ruth & Mccann I count as positive signings. Mcdaid & Krasniqi we've not really seen enough of yet to comment. Holt's got to go.

To have a DoF and still be faced with this wreckage is unforgivable. With no continuity within the team, there is no “Falkirk way”, or whatever you wish to call it, there is simply whatever the current bozo in charge directs. The fan base is alienated, the Board flails for answers, and the team founders. The fans here have been calling for a complete rebuild for a couple of seasons plus now, and it’s looking increasingly like that may occur…next year or the year after…in League Two. It seems incomprehensible.

Guest Ecosse83
57 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Why would they be on their way out ?

Because they have not delivered on the pitch.

As for a new face freshening up in January. can only think of 3 - 4 players and manager would keep and trying to dump the rest.

I’m confused. Have we to keep the manager so the players who by your own words haven’t done it on the pitch don’t down tools for the rest of the season? 

some bizarre logic there!