The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Caractacus Potts
6 hours ago, BountyBairn said:

I’ll take your word on him raising his profile. Although I would find it hard to fathom how exactly his tenure at Falkirk would be seen as a positive thing for anyone else looking for his ‘consultancy’.

I mean it’s not exactly going well, is it? 

Just take a look at Companies House and the number of businesses Gary has become involved with since becoming chairman of Falkirk.

As for his tenure, he’ll spin it. Like I said no business person will fairly judge him on a few bad results for the first team. Go back here and all is rosy for most even though some of us seen and paid attention to the way they operate. I was even starting to think they got lucky with Sheerin but it doesn’t seem to be the case anymore. Make no doubt about it though, that position has served Deans well and he’ll continue to reap the benefits of the doors it opens for him. Do you think it’s any wonder he goes hiding when things are bad? 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

9 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

A lot of supposition ahead of the Q&A about Holts role in all of this, Sheerin's management style and motives of the chairmen.

However, the established facts are that we are 5th in L1 and the weakest of those 5.

Despite having a glut of attacking options - Wilson, Keena, Ompreon, Ruth, (early Dowds), McDaid, Morrison, Nesbitt and Telfer the goal return from those the manager favours is dismal. Morrison's goals often put gloss on frustrating games where the breakthrough seemed unlikely.

It's wholly correct to ask how Sheerin was afforded budget to sign Ompreon and Ruth when he had two proven operators - regardless of our opinion - whilst neglecting the obvious problem at RB. In addition, Krasniqi is the elephant in the room, Keena a sideshow and we now have the recent ostracism of Dixon and Mutch. It would seem to an outsider there is definitely an issue with the managers approach and senior players.

Two proven operators?

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Two proven operators?

Wondered that too. Also not sure we’ll be paying a lot for Ruth and Ompreon.

Think the question is how come we have a budget to pay an SD £50k/year and all the other high level staff positions yet paying peanuts for some first team squad members. 

13 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

I think getting rid of Holt needs to be the first thing on the agenda. It’s no coincidence we have went to pot on the pitch since his arrival. 

I'm not going to argue for Holt, but this can't be serious. We've been crap since 17/18 and virtually every single player/manager/person in the meantime has been useless. Things haven't gone to pot since Holt's arrival.

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I'm not going to argue for Holt, but this can't be serious. We've been crap since 17/18 and virtually every single player/manager/person in the meantime has been useless. Things haven't gone to pot since Holt's arrival.

8 wins in 23 league games this calendar year would suggest we have sunken even further since his arrival.

11 minutes ago, Gollum said:

We've certainly slumped to even lower levels of dross since he appeared on the scene.

14 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Wondered that too. Also not sure we’ll be paying a lot for Ruth and Ompreon.

Think the question is how come we have a budget to pay an SD £50k/year and all the other high level staff positions yet paying peanuts for some first team squad members. 

I meant Wilson and Dowds.

Regardless of the costs for those two replacements they have not evidently bettered the returns that either of the two they replaced could have achieved. Ruth's 2 goals in as many games is not stellar considering he's been afforded, as sole striker, much more time than Wilson and Dowds were.

Edited by Blame Me
Grammar

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Agreed which is why those on the board must go first. Removing some of the previous MSG was just the start but it’s no use when the chairman is appointed by one of those who were removed and then goes on to appoint his own lackeys. 

The fact of the matter is that a club in its third season in the third tier doesn't need a DoF. The position shouldn't even exist. That Holt is a complete and utter weapon just adds to the reasons to boot him.

Edit to add: He has failed miserably in about 85% of the tasks which fall under his remit since he arrived, while also using the club as an easy form of employment for his son.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

41 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

I meant Wilson and Dowds.

Regardless of the costs for those two replacements they have not evidently bettered the returns that either of the two they replaced could have achieved. Ruth's 2 goals in as many games is not stellar considering he's been afforded, as sole striker, much more time than Wilson and Dowds were.

I'd hardly call either of them proven operators.  Wilson is simply dreadful and should never have been signed. Dowds is better than Wilson certainly but nowhere near proven either.  Ompreon looked decent the game he played out wide before getting injured but now has been relegated to the bench for the ineffectual mcdaid. Ruth is a young laddie with little experience he's better than Wilson but I'm not convinced otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'd hardly call either of them proven operators.  Wilson is simply dreadful and should never have been signed. Dowds is better than Wilson certainly but nowhere near proven either.  Ompreon looked decent the game he played out wide before getting injured but now has been relegated to the bench for the ineffectual mcdaid. Ruth is a young laddie with little experience he's better than Wilson but I'm not convinced otherwise.

w*nk, w*nk, w*nk, w*nk, w*nk.

Nae good guys.

Edited by Bairn in Exile
over sensitive censorship

Guest Ecosse83
1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Our record since Holt came in has been atrocious though. Holt isn’t the only one that needs punted but he is a big problem. 

8 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

In what sense are Wilson and Dowds ‘proven operators’? The proven to be not good enough variety? 

The sense that they have played many more games than Ompreon or Ruth have in Scottish L1. As I mentioned in my original post - putting anyone's opinion of the two I mentioned aside - I don't think there is an argument that had they been given a greater chance we'd be any worse off than now. 

Edited by Blame Me

Guest Back Post Misses
1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Just take a look at Companies House and the number of businesses Gary has become involved with since becoming chairman of Falkirk. One of them (Glen Luss I think) are sponsors of Kilmarnock too. 

As for his tenure, he’ll spin it. Like I said no business person will fairly judge him on a few bad results for the first team. Go back here and all is rosy for most even though some of us seen and paid attention to the way they operate. I was even starting to think they got lucky with Sheerin but it doesn’t seem to be the case anymore. Make no doubt about it though, that position has served Deans well and he’ll continue to reap the benefits of the doors it opens for him. Do you think it’s any wonder he goes hiding when things are bad? 

He is on the same board of a company as Colin Liddell. It maybe that one? 

Guest Back Post Misses
1 hour ago, Gollum said:

They have got worse, if that was at all possible 

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

They have got worse, if that was at all possible 

Aye, impressive feat that to be fair. Just feel our squad was just about as hopeless last season and results have been more than lacklustre for 3-4 years. Really wondering when/if we find the root cause to this multi-year exceptionally steady decline, because replacing players and managers has done sweet FA, which is incredible in itself.

Squadwise I have been totally duped, because I still think Mutch, Dixon, McCann, (Williamson?), McGuffie, Nesbitt, Telfer, Morrison and Keena can play a competent part in a league-winning side, but my god, that league is currently the East of Scotland one.

Guest Caractacus Potts
36 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

He is on the same board of a company as Colin Liddell. It maybe that one? 

They worked at the Halo in Kilmarnock. Gary Deans was appointed on the board just as Colin Liddell left. Seems to be a strong connection between the two of them. 

Actually mistaken with the Killie sponsors. Thought I’d read something about it but think it’s another company. 

Edit to add: it was one of the directors  on Glen Luss(the guy pictured with Deans). His other company Cane and Grain sponsor Kilmarnock but don’t think Deans has anything to do with that. He’s certainly got his fingers in a few pies though. 

https://scottishfinancialnews.com/article/glen-luss-distillery-appoints-former-kpmg-partner-gary-deans-as-non-executive-director

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Aye, impressive feat that to be fair. Just feel our squad was just about as hopeless last season and results have been more than lacklustre for 3-4 years. Really wondering when/if we find the root cause to this multi-year exceptionally steady decline, because replacing players and managers has done sweet FA, which is incredible in itself.

Squadwise I have been totally duped, because I still think Mutch, Dixon, McCann, (Williamson?), McGuffie, Nesbitt, Telfer, Morrison and Keena can play a competent part in a league-winning side, but my god, that league is currently the East of Scotland one.

It is because of two factors.

1. The league we are in and therefore the the marketplace we are shopping in

2. Seen as a hire and fire outfit with managers and squads dumped on a regular basis than does not look good on the CV

All the problems we have can be designated to one or the other. The longer it goes on the more entrenched that becomes in manager and player circles.

Dumping Sheerin bring these factors into play with the danger of the squad downing tools knowing they are on the way out.

That's why the board will stick by their man as the least worse of the options they have.