The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

What a basket case of a club we have become 

There is something terribly wrong in the management when you can shift Dowds on loan to a team a league above, and he scores to match 50% of last years output at Falkirk in less than 7% of the time. It just suggests that the use made of Dowds by the managers at Falkirk last year was sub-optimal…as you all well know seems the case with a lot of the players. It’s truly perplexing to see that absolute shitshow that FFC has become, plumbing new depths almost weekly. It’s almost like it’s deliberate, but I really can’t find any conceivable reason for it to be so…I guess that means, by Occum’s Razor, the BoD and management staff at FFC are simply morons. It’s not something any fans deserve, and is truly saddening to fans of other teams as well. Get well soon, lads…surely it has to.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

There is something terribly wrong in the management when you can shift Dowds on loan to a team a league above, and he scores to match 50% of last years output at Falkirk in less than 7% of the time. It just suggests that the use made of Dowds by the managers at Falkirk last year was sub-optimal…as you all well know seems the case with a lot of the players. It’s truly perplexing to see that absolute shitshow that FFC has become, plumbing new depths almost weekly. It’s almost like it’s deliberate, but I really can’t find any conceivable reason for it to be so…I guess that means, by Occum’s Razor, the BoD and management staff at FFC are simply morons. It’s not something any fans deserve, and is truly saddening to fans of other teams as well. Get well soon, lads…surely it has to.

Gary Holt is a massive part of this IMO.

11 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Gary Deans has upped his profile and his interest in other companies, since becoming chairman, has increased. He wouldn’t get anywhere near the level of exposure in any other job he does. He’ll still try to spin it all as good too and why not, wasn’t long ago a load of fans were happy with the way everything was going. 

The rest of the board are maybe waiting in line for his job but to say they get nothing isn’t true. They also get to parade the fact they are the director of a club and turn up in a suit and blazer on match days, feel important and pretend how great they are. Football clubs attract the exact kind of ego’s our board has been plagued with. You or I may not understand why they do it but a lot are most definitely in it for themselves. 

I’ll take your word on him raising his profile. Although I would find it hard to fathom how exactly his tenure at Falkirk would be seen as a positive thing for anyone else looking for his ‘consultancy’.

I mean it’s not exactly going well, is it? 

9 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

I think getting rid of Holt needs to be the first thing on the agenda. It’s no coincidence we have went to pot on the pitch since his arrival. 

I’d get rid of Holt and give Sheerin a few more games to see how it pans out. He might not be up to it but could thrive without Holt looking over his shoulder! 

Agree that Holt should be sacked immediately- an absolute scumbag and the fans are 100% United on wanting rid of him.

Disagree on Sheerin. The only place his leadership is taking us is League 2.

I might have been in favour of Sheerin getting a chance to fly solo - it's quite possible Holt is telling him what players to play and where - but his obstinate persistence in the keeper rolling the ball out to defenders who had attackers standing waiting for the entire game has to be 100% down to him. He didn't try to mix it up even once and it cost us. 

6 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

What a basket case of a club we have become 

To me we are just following a logical course, a downward spiral as a result of years of having the same people and their appointees & cronies in charge of the club.

As I think you said also, I fear this meeting will be a charm offensive with many falling for it again but if ever there was a time to "Sack the Board" it has to now - look where they have taken us to and no one can have any confidence in them anymore surely?       

11 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Just listened to his post match, and “stuffy” and “sacrificing talent at the top end” clear signals that two up front will never darken his door again. Saying having his side expected to score two and three goals in order to win matches is unrealistic.

“Gaining territory”……..it’s cringeworthy.

Sadly, it looks increasingly as if he has no clear plan on what to do. In the 3rd tier of Scottish football with a full time side other than “be stuffy” and not have at most one player up front. Clearly both he and Holt really are away with the fairies.

Does he have the awareness to grasp that saying a full time side in a part time league have to be stuffy and sacrifice any threat up front in order to get anything from games is utterly brutal.

The last couple of interviews I saw he looked like a man severely under pressure and not handling it very well.   

It's only recently things have turned badly for him and I was surprised to see him melting so quickly. His inane ramblings and nervous tick where he rubs the back of his neck are not good signs, he does not seem like he is cut out for managing a full time football club with (some) expectations. 

To me he is basically an untried youth coach,  no track record worth talking about - yet another gamble by our BOD and it looks yet again like they got it wrong. 

M&M, the Brentford Model, Sheerin.......surely just the law of averages dictates you get it right at least once.   

59 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

I might have been in favour of Sheerin getting a chance to fly solo - it's quite possible Holt is telling him what players to play and where - but his obstinate persistence in the keeper rolling the ball out to defenders who had attackers standing waiting for the entire game has to be 100% down to him. He didn't try to mix it up even once and it cost us. 

They say that when you are learning to drive you are actually only taught how to pass the test and then, when you are out on the road, you teach yourself how to drive and you become road smart.

Sheerin has been so used to coaching his boys in Aberdeen how to "play football" that he has forgotten what it is like to coach grown men play real, street-wise football.

I said after the Montrose game that the board should give him the East Fife and Airdrie games to show if he is worth being kept on and he has failed that test miserably.

Time to take your "L" plates elsewhere Paul. (and take Holt and Deans with you).

Illustration Back Car L Plate Learner Stock Vector (Royalty Free) 1719303868

Episode 4 GIF by The Simpsons

Edited by Bairn in Exile

2 hours ago, BountyBairn said:

I’ll take your word on him raising his profile. Although I would find it hard to fathom how exactly his tenure at Falkirk would be seen as a positive thing for anyone else looking for his ‘consultancy’.

The outside world won’t forensically exam is track record with us. Remember the “good things wot we have dun” list? Variations on that are the things that will be presented to prospective hirers.

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

The last couple of interviews I saw he looked like a man severely under pressure and not handling it very well.   

It's only recently things have turned badly for him and I was surprised to see him melting so quickly. His inane ramblings and nervous tick where he rubs the back of his neck are not good signs, he does not seem like he is cut out for managing a full time football club with (some) expectations. 

To me he is basically an untried youth coach,  no track record worth talking about - yet another gamble by our BOD and it looks yet again like they got it wrong. 

M&M, the Brentford Model, Sheerin.......surely just the law of averages dictates you get it right at least once.   

Talking with a family friend last night, and we were discussing what (I thought) was Sheerin’s biggest issue……..he had failed to make the transition from youth coach (results don’t matter) to first team coach (results are the only thing that matters). Then I had this wee niggling memory of something I thought Sheerin had said on the official site. Turns out it was Fergus, not Sheerin, but it addresses the the first team directly, and might just encapsulate what is going on.

So, “even for the one team at FFC for whom results are vital, development and performance are still the focus of everything we do”.

That reads to me that development and performance are more important than results (even for the first team). It’s not interpretation, as the first team has deliberately mentioned as being subject to this “approach”. Don’t know who sanctioned the “Falkirk Approach”.

E307DD03-82F7-450E-894B-6E27C671EE08.jpeg

Edited by Duncan Freemason

2 hours ago, BountyBairn said:

Yes but someone actually needs to tell him that as it would appear that he thinks he's doing a great job given the complete lack of a resignation.

35 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Talking with a family friend last night, and we were discussing what (I thought) was Sheerin’s biggest issue……..he had failed to make the transition from youth coach (results don’t matter) to first team coach (results are the only thing that matters). Then I had this wee niggling memory of something I thought Sheerin had said on the official site. Turns out it was Fergus, not Sheerin, but it addresses the the first team directly, and might just encapsulate what is going on.

So, “even for the one team at FFC for whom results are vital, development and performance are still the focus of everything we do”.

That reads to me that development and performance are more important than results (even for the first team). It’s not interpretation, as the first team has deliberately mentioned as being subject to this “approach”. Don’t know who sanctioned the “Falkirk Approach”.

E307DD03-82F7-450E-894B-6E27C671EE08.jpeg

That would certainly appear to be confirmed by his complete lack of concern in his interviews. I watched sportscene the other night and Jack Ross was interviewed after the three nil defeat to DU.  He was clearly angry and frustrated and felt let down by his players by their performance and showed that. You get none of that with sheerin. There's no anger , no that was nowhere near good enough it's all we'll maybe do this or that and the players have been brilliant for me.  We're mid table in league one but playing nice tippy tappy football is what I'm looking for and stuff the results.  Hes hadn't a single clue what to do to change things on Saturday till it was far too late. One nil down did nothing. Sent guys out to warm up called them back in nothing.  They score a second sudden panic to change it just like against Dumbarton reactive not proactive. He looks a poor soul stood out on the touch line himself too. It's as if everyone else is hiding in the dugout wanting no part in this shambles.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Guest Ecosse83
2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Agree that Holt should be sacked immediately- an absolute scumbag and the fans are 100% United on wanting rid of him.

Disagree on Sheerin. The only place his leadership is taking us is League 2.

That’s fair enough I respect that opinion. Glad we’re united on Holt though 😂

A lot of supposition ahead of the Q&A about Holts role in all of this, Sheerin's management style and motives of the chairmen.

However, the established facts are that we are 5th in L1 and the weakest of those 5.

Despite having a glut of attacking options - Wilson, Keena, Ompreon, Ruth, (early Dowds), McDaid, Morrison, Nesbitt and Telfer the goal return from those the manager favours is dismal. Morrison's goals often put gloss on frustrating games where the breakthrough seemed unlikely.

It's wholly correct to ask how Sheerin was afforded budget to sign Ompreon and Ruth when he had two proven operators - regardless of our opinion - whilst neglecting the obvious problem at RB. In addition, Krasniqi is the elephant in the room, Keena a sideshow and we now have the recent ostracism of Dixon and Mutch. It would seem to an outsider there is definitely an issue with the managers approach and senior players.