The Falkirk FC Thread

I've been overly supportive of both managers and the board for years (although possibly in hindsight keeping houstie might not have been the worst move) to me if the board gives out a budget they shouldn't interfere with the manager, he is in charge of the playing side. Any manager from a rookie to a Klopp or Guardiola is a gamble with no guarantees it'll work. However to continually make such major mistakes has to bring into question both the competence of the board and methods used in recruitment of managers, massive change is needed again, being down here isn't an embarrassment teams as big as us have been and will be again, staying down here is an embarrassment for a club of our size.

4 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Surely the medium term answer for Falkirk here is to go hybrid part time. It would pretty much allow you to sign the best of the part time players going instead of having to dish out 3 year deals to shite like McKay to even get them to think about signing for Falkirk. We’ve done it twice and gone up as Champions. Being fully full time in League One is a thankless task as you’re scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of who you can actually sign.

I think your last sentence is Falkirk’s problem. They’re the lowest ranked full time club in the country. They might get 1, maybe 2 at a push, full time players choosing them over a smaller club in a higher division. But they will definitely lose out on players due to the league they’re in. Loanees too. Premiership clubs are more likely to send their youth/fringe players to the likes of Morton or Arbroath solely down to the league they play in.

2 hours ago, Hughsie said:

Sheerin bemoaning the need for us to become more “stuffy” is a real low point for me.

It’s League One we’re in.

His head is still in youth football. He sees it as all being about educating the players, and instilling the outdated irrelevant Largs cookie cutter model.

I don’t hate the man. I don’t even dislike him, but my God, I really don’t think the reality of what is going on has dawned on him yet. He is in some sort of coaching book trance.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Come on you were 3 nil up against a piss poor Falkirk side. Trying to say you were time wasting because you lost 3 late on in a game a few years ago is laughable.  You want to time waste fine. My gripe isnt with Airdrie it's with us for sending our physio out to assist with the time wasting.  Although it could've been a cunning plan by sheerin to run down the clock right enough.

To be fair, another way of looking at it, is the physio was on to try and speed it up as the Airdrie physio was otherwise engaged and could have taken longer to get there, no?  Anyway that's a minor point in a match which has given both supports plenty to talk about.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

I think your last sentence is Falkirk’s problem. They’re the lowest ranked full time club in the country. They might get 1, maybe 2 at a push, full time players choosing them over a smaller club in a higher division. But they will definitely lose out on players due to the league they’re in. Loanees too. Premiership clubs are more likely to send their youth/fringe players to the likes of Morton or Arbroath solely down to the league they play in.

Yeah it’s very true. They’re not currently competing with Montrose, Dumbarton etc for signings, a battle they’d surely win, they’re competing with teams like yours and mine, who can offer terms as good as Falkirk anyway but at a higher level.

12 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

I've been overly supportive of both managers and the board for years (although possibly in hindsight keeping houstie might not have been the worst move) to me if the board gives out a budget they shouldn't interfere with the manager, he is in charge of the playing side. Any manager from a rookie to a Klopp or Guardiola is a gamble with no guarantees it'll work. However to continually make such major mistakes has to bring into question both the competence of the board and methods used in recruitment of managers, massive change is needed again, being down here isn't an embarrassment teams as big as us have been and will be again, staying down here is an embarrassment for a club of our size.

I just don’t get why Falkirk, after the disaster of Miller and McCracken, when for another inexperienced manager. They’re not everybody’s cup of tea but a manager in the mould of Jim Duffy or Jim McIntyre who have been there and done it at this level would surely have been a more prudent appointment.

15 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Surely the medium term answer for Falkirk here is to go hybrid part time. It would pretty much allow you to sign the best of the part time players going instead of having to dish out 3 year deals to shite like McKay to even get them to think about signing for Falkirk. We’ve done it twice and gone up as Champions. Being fully full time in League One is a thankless task as you’re scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of who you can actually sign.

I think there’s some validity to what you’re saying but I don’t think it’s a simple solution.

I would argue over the last 2 and a half seasons (and beyond that) we’ve signed eleven after eleven that are capable of playing at this level and higher. Almost every player we’ve had has gone from being atrocious or part of an atrocious team to doing fine elsewhere (an obvious example being half of our ex eleven now strolling it for Queens Park). That to me suggests recruitment has been okay for the most part - apart from this season where Mr. Holt has been in charge of that. 

……and when you look at their infamous “Good things wot we have dun” list, pick out how many line items can be objectively measured, and how many are open to subjective interpretation. Our Board thrives on the subjective….it lets them roll out their PR expertise to bullshit it.

The league table is different. It’s the objective view of how good or bad we are. They won’t want to go near the objective stuff on Tuesday.

Just remember, that trumpet blowing about 19 new shareholders…….ten of them are club related. Of the other nine, one chap has bunged in £30k, and the other eight have invested an average of £450 each. That is an example of the PR for Dummies spin that they think they can get away with. Let’s watch their PR skills try to convince everyone that a dog shit is really a Mars Bar. Oh they will try.

32 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

To be fair, another way of looking at it, is the physio was on to try and speed it up as the Airdrie physio was otherwise engaged and could have taken longer to get there, no?  Anyway that's a minor point in a match which has given both supports plenty to talk about.

Only because the guy crawled on to the pitch. If he'd stayed off like he should have the game could've continued as he got treatment.

25 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I just don’t get why Falkirk, after the disaster of Miller and McCracken, when for another inexperienced manager. They’re not everybody’s cup of tea but a manager in the mould of Jim Duffy or Jim McIntyre who have been there and done it at this level would surely have been a more prudent appointment.

Jim Duffy? Jesus wept.  Guys won one single seaside league title in his entire 40 odd years of management.  How he keeps getting jobs after one failure after another is beyond me. McIntyre was offered the job two year ago and knocked it back.

Guest Caractacus Potts

Bollocks, will just go through the points on the list as I'm pissed off at fans being continually taken for a ride by the board. 

1. Expanded fan ownership by over 400,000 new shares, including 19 first time shareholders.

- As I said before 250,000 were on the board- 2 Gordons 125,000. Deans 37,500, Bateman(club secretary) 20,000. All new shareholders too apart from Bateman. That includes the Rawlins group which account for 3. Hardly expanded fan ownership in its true sense.

2. Agreed and implemented a new football model that will protect the club from instability going forwards.

- What does that even mean!? 

3. Developed and agreed a new 5 year plan for the club.

- Just arbitrary nonsense.

4. Appointed a full time Head of Scouting and recruitment.

-Who is this guy? Is he responsible for players or Holt?

5. Appointed a full time Head of Sports Performance

-Another big title. Who's he in charge of? 

6. Completed a thorough search and recruitment process for a new coach. 

-Aberdeen youth coach, stayed in a youth coaching job for 8 years and then looking for work due to regime change at his club. His last year in charge he got a club relegated from League One. Safe pair of hands with a clear ambition to be first team coach...

7. Implemented a system of positional profiling.

- Do the players know this because some seem to be completely unaware of what position they should be in! 

8. Developed a 20 point profile for each position.

- Would love to see this and how Gary Holt's son just happened to tick all the boxes.

9. Cleaned house on the 20/21 squad.

- Guess this will be an easy achievement for next year when this season's squad is cleaned! 

10. Implemented positional profiling for all future recruitment.

-Recall this being mentioned before.

11.Scouted all new recruits 'Live' a minimum of 3 times, most have been watched over 7 times.

- How on Earth did they manage this. When was Mackenzie Lemon watched or Sammy Ompreon? Luke Holt!? 

12. Held meetings with three new investors.

- Could mean anything from a company looking to sponsor a shirt. The main shirt sponsor too is a from a firm with no history and potentially dodgy. 

13. Have a minimum of 3 options identified for each position.

- I don't doubt that but again could have been anyone as we did end up with Jamie Wilson as one. 

14. Invested in new IT infrastructure.

-Bought a new computer?

15. In process of developing a new club website.

- Seems like a lengthy process. They can't even be bothered to add up this seasons results on the current website. When will see this great new website?

16. Replaced the 2 Storm damaged floodlights

- As opposed to not replacing them? How did they get damaged in the first place and how long were they a danger?

17. Replaced damaged roof panels.

- As above, were they considering just leaving them?

18. Revamping our merchandise offerings.

- Not much new in at the moment apart from an unnecessary third kit. Does the club make a decent cut from this? Surely we'd be better selling it ourselves?

19. Agreed contracts with a new shirt sponsor.

- Hope they got paid up front

20. Recruiting a General Manager for the club

- Now a CEO. Is there a difference in the duties?

21. Recruiting a new club ambassador.

- Did we do this? 

22. Kicked off a pitch review process.

- Which entails what exactly?

23. Prepared the stadium and staff of the return of fans- Large covid related effort.

- Could have cleaned the bird shit from the seats too. 

26 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

I think there’s some validity to what you’re saying but I don’t think it’s a simple solution.

I would argue over the last 2 and a half seasons (and beyond that) we’ve signed eleven after eleven that are capable of playing at this level and higher. Almost every player we’ve had has gone from being atrocious or part of an atrocious team to doing fine elsewhere (an obvious example being half of our ex eleven now strolling it for Queens Park). That to me suggests recruitment has been okay for the most part - apart from this season where Mr. Holt has been in charge of that. 

There's not that many players have gone on to bigger and better things though. Some are playing midtable in the championship but when we had them we were trying to win that league.  There isn't many players that have moved on that I shed a tear for. They were perhaps in a lot of cases better than their replacements but there's few I would be desperate to have back.

8 minutes ago, glasgow_bairn said:

I can 100% say that the q&a will not be 70% full on Tuesday night. If that’s not bad enough considering the current nick of our club, I guarantee that not even 10% of the keyboard warriors on here will in in attendance either.

It’s full already by the looks of the eventbrite page 

I can 100% say that the q&a will not be 70% full on Tuesday night. If that’s not bad enough considering the current nick of our club, I guarantee that not even 10% of the keyboard warriors on here will in in attendance either.
Why are you using a keyboard on a media platform to tell fellow users of the platform they are keyboard warriors?

12 minutes ago, glasgow_bairn said:

Sold out according to the ticketing page 

image.thumb.png.d8c37689f94e7de26819ab04b16ad9b6.png

Well, it could be that they were told to stop giving out tickets...

I wasn't going to go because I'll have had a hectic day at work on Tuesday, but that post did make me think it's important to make sure the place is packed out so I went to get a ticket. Be interesting to see how many are actually there.