The Falkirk FC Thread

On 13/10/2021 at 16:46, Shadwell Dog said:

so  I tend to now not get my hopes up

On 13/10/2021 at 16:25, Shadwell Dog said:

great at getting your hopes up 

On 13/10/2021 at 15:21, Shadwell Dog said:

Christ it's twenty odd years since I got excited about a Scotland team

You really are a torn (and it would appear two) faced, miserable c**t. 

On 13/10/2021 at 16:25, Shadwell Dog said:

Of course I am.  Football is a real struggle these days when you are a Falkirk and Scotland supporter though Two piss poor teams that used to be half decent and are great at getting your hopes up just to dash then back on to the rocks of despair.  Must be boring being a fan of successful teams but it would be nice for a change.

What Clarke has got going for him though is 'Team Spirit' and its the best I have seen in a Scotland team since Willy Ormond's great 1974 side.

So credit to him for that at least. 

22 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

You really are a torn (and it would appear two) faced, miserable c**t. 

What a load of shite.  Scotland do get your hopes up and then dash them just look at the folk that still follow them in case one of these days it might actually be different.  I've learned now adays not to get my hopes up for exactly that reason.  Now thanks for your contribution and time spent raking up quotes  but I'm sure the livie thread needs you far more than we do.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

15 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

What Clarke has got going for him though is 'Team Spirit' and its the best I have seen in a Scotland team since Willy Ormond's great 1974 side.

So credit to him for that at least. 

They always had great team spirit under the likes of brown and Roxburgh.  In fact in those days you seldom got players pulling out for hee haw or retiring from international football in their early thirties.  Used to always be that Scotland retired the player by not picking them not the other way round.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

What a load of shite.  Scotland do get your hopes up and then dash them just look at the folk that still follow them in case one of these days it might actually be different.  I've learned now adays not to get my hopes up for exactly that reason.  Now thanks for your contribution and time spent raking up quotes  but I'm sure the livie thread needs you far more than we do.

So, at what point would your hopes not have been dashed against the Faroes? 2-0?, 3-0?, 10-0?

45 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

So, at what point would your hopes not have been dashed against the Faroes? 2-0?, 3-0?, 10-0?

Did you not read my post. I don't get excited about Scotland games these days. I don't have hopes to be dashed. I've followed them to games all over the place when I was younger . World cups, euros here there and everywhere and that was when we had a decent side.   I've learned not to expect anything. So when we eventually achieve something if we ever do then it will be a pleasant surprise.  Each to his own but it's just not for me these days. I just look forward to the end of the international break and back to the bread and butter stuff.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

12 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Did you not read my post. I don't get excited about Scotland games these days. I don't have hopes to be dashed. I've followed them to games all over the place when I was younger . World cups, euros here there and everywhere and that was when we had a decent side.   I've learned not to expect anything. So when we eventually achieve something if we ever do then it will be a pleasant surprise.  Each to his own but it's just not for me these days. I just look forward to the end of the international break and back to the bread and butter stuff.

Don't expect a single one of us to buy that you are looking forward to Saturday 😂

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Don't expect a single one of us to buy that you are looking forward to Saturday 😂

Normal football weekends  are just far better than the international breaks in my opinion obviously. Game on a Friday night. Watch the early sat games, 3 o'clock game keeping an eye on all the different scores. Watch the Saturday night game motd, sportscene then Sunday you've got more games to watch.  Then you have the midweek games champ league etc.  I find it difficult to get any real interest in other international fixtures outside world cups and euros but that's just me. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

They always had great team spirit under the likes of brown and Roxburgh.  In fact in those days you seldom got players pulling out for hee haw or retiring from international football in their early thirties.  Used to always be that Scotland retired the player by not picking them not the other way round.

These statements are simply not true.

Roxburgh especially was plagued with call offs and players retired.

It did get worse in the spell following Bertie, I'll admit.

30 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

These statements are simply not true.

Roxburgh especially was plagued with call offs and players retired.

It did get worse in the spell following Bertie, I'll admit.

It was very rare if at all in those days for players to say ah feck it I can't be arsed playing for Scotland anymore I'm not putting myself forward for selection. The old I'm retiring to extend my domestic career is something that's come into football in recent times that you never ever heard back then.

It was mainly a more natural case of older players being replaced by younger players or managers just telling them that was it thanks for your contribution.  Far easier to get players to turn up mind you when you have a half decent side.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yes, I read your post Shadwell, very good it was too, although it is quite difficult to work out exactly what you're on about considering you managed to contradict yourself in it.

So, do Scotland get your hopes up then dash them (as you said in your post) and, again, at what point would your hopes not have been dashed V the Faroes?

I admit that I'm finding it a wee bit hard to get my own hopes dashed at this point considering that we're 2nd in the group and looking good for qualification to the play-offs, although I fully accept that said hopes may well be dashed in the not too distant future. I think I'll maybe just wait until that happens before moaning about it though.

I have a somewhat sneaking suspicion that your hopes may have been dashed because we didn't give the Faroes a very sound thrashing.

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Yes, I read your post Shadwell, very good it was too, although it is quite difficult to work out exactly what you're on about considering you managed to contradict yourself in it.

So, do Scotland get your hopes up then dash them (as you said in your post) and, again, at what point would your hopes not have been dashed V the Faroes?

I admit that I'm finding it a wee bit hard to get my own hopes dashed at this point considering that we're 2nd in the group and looking good for qualification to the play-offs, although I fully accept that said hopes may well be dashed in the not too distant future. I think I'll maybe just wait until that happens before moaning about it though.

I have a somewhat sneaking suspicion that your hopes may have been dashed because we didn't give the Faroes a very sound thrashing.

Contradict myself . I said they get the fans hopes up only to dash them.  I have therefor no longer get my hopes up about Scotland anymore so I don't get my hopes dashed Pretty clear that as I've said it two or three times.  In fact I rarely bother watching them these days at all whilst once upon a time I followed them all over Europe .

Edited by Shadwell Dog

12 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You posted those contradictory nuggets within an hour an half of each other. Hardly took a lot of "raking" chum.

21 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

You posted those contradictory nuggets within an hour an half of each other. Hardly took a lot of "raking" chum.

How were they contradictory? I said Scotland raise your hopes up and then dash them. Anyone who follows the national team knows that. I followed them for years here there and everywhere. I then said I no longer allow myself to get my hopes up and no longer follow them here there and everywhere.  That's pretty clearly not contradictory as there are still people out there getting their hopes dashed on a regular basis by the Scotland team it's just these days I'm not one of them.

10 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Contradict myself . I said they get the fans hopes up only to dash them.  I have therefor no longer get my hopes up about Scotland anymore so I don't get my hopes dashed Pretty clear that as I've said it two or three times.  In fact I rarely bother watching them these days at all whilst once upon a time I followed them all over Europe .

No you didn't.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

How were they contradictory? I said Scotland raise your hopes up and then dash them. Anyone who follows the national team knows that. I followed them for years here there and everywhere. I then said I no longer allow myself to get my hopes up and no longer follow them here there and everywhere.  That's pretty clearly not contradictory as there are still people out there getting their hopes dashed on a regular basis by the Scotland team it's just these days I'm not one of them.

:rolleyes:

TBF Shadwell, what goes on in your head may very well be a bit different from what ends up in your post so I'll let you off.

Going to the game tomorrow? What supermarket are you working with this week, Asda, Tesco?

33 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

:rolleyes:

TBF Shadwell, what goes on in your head may very well be a bit different from what ends up in your post so I'll let you off.

Going to the game tomorrow? What supermarket are you working with this week, Asda, Tesco?

Me supermarket you've lost me.

Can sum up the last few pages on here with it's great when your team (Scotland or Falkirk) plays well and is winning and rubbish when they're not. 

Waiting for tomorrow's team news, surely Sheerin has to play Kenna and Ruth together up front? Would be making a big rod for his back if he doesn't and it goes wrong.