The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Strikerturnedkeeper said:

He will be back in January possibly as new no1 if Holt senior gets his way. Mutch looking to get away in January window after being dropped for East Fife game. A disagreement “orchestrated” by Sheerin led to him being benched.

Behind the scenes Holt calling all the shots. 

I do not know if that’s true or if it’s not, but as the losers in a previous “balance of probabilities” finding, then I would tend to fall on the “it’s true” side of the fence. A man charged with “a near impossible task” last season ( and failing in a manner that defied credibility) backed to the hilt by our middle management accountant and his yes men once again seems to fit the bill as someone that our Board would allow to keep the keys to the sweetie shop.

If Airdrie leave with 3 points next week, then the alarm bells will be ringing big time. Thing is, they would only be ringing for Sheerin, and he is a symptom, he is not the illness itself, and never will be as long as upstairs are allowed to carry on as they are.

8 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Sad news the East Fife 2-2 game was my first match. RIP Billy. 

I was gutted when I lost my VHS commemorative tape of the game many years later. Does anyone know if this has ever been uploaded to YouTube in its full 2 hour entirety including all the pitch invasion footage and players coming back out?

my memory of the game was that they only quoted about 6 or 8000 at the game and I've never felt brockville so packed. nerve jangling final minutes as east fife made us sweat.

12 hours ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

Next couple of games will define our season. 6 points and we are in the mix but anything less we should be contacting indeed.com for a new nanager

Thing is sadly in this league it won't. Even a win and a loss will probably leave us 2 points off top or something. 

It's such a collection of utter shit that winning one game in 4 doesn't seem to affect your league position much. 

8 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I was gutted when I lost my VHS commemorative tape of the game many years later. Does anyone know if this has ever been uploaded to YouTube in its full 2 hour entirety including all the pitch invasion footage and players coming back out?

my memory of the game was that they only quoted about 6 or 8000 at the game and I've never felt brockville so packed. nerve jangling final minutes as east fife made us sweat.

Great memories! 

15 hours ago, Strikerturnedkeeper said:

He will be back in January possibly as new no1 if Holt senior gets his way. Mutch looking to get away in January window after being dropped for East Fife game. A disagreement “orchestrated” by Sheerin led to him being benched.

Behind the scenes Holt calling all the shots. 

Mutch hasn’t been great for a while now he deserved to be dropped after the Dumbarton game.

Grainger seems fairly well thought of in that neck of the woods, I wouldn't begrudge him the move back down south, by the same token if Sheerin did get canned I'd rather have him in the dugout in interim charge than Holt after last season's shambles. 

3 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Great to see this again but am I alone in thinking that the football being played was actually pretty poor?

Yes it was mostly just leather it the way you are facing! And that was with two pretty skilful players in the team in McGuire and Gilmour.

21 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

If Airdrie leave with 3 points next week, then the alarm bells will be ringing big time. Thing is, they would only be ringing for Sheerin, and he is a symptom, he is not the illness itself, and never will be as long as upstairs are allowed to carry on as they are.

He can only work with the squad he has but that is no excuse as he knew that when he took the job. With the exception of 3 or 4 if the rest left they would be no great loss if we got promoted.

Airdrie is never an easy game and if we come away with a point I would take it.

Sad how your expectations drop - taking a draw at Airdrie dear oh dear

45 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Were we not still predominantly part time back then mind you?

We were, yes.

18 minutes ago, keithgy said:

Was that not the last time Gordon Marshall played for East Fife and we signed him after that?

No, Clarke signed him near the end of 86/87.

I remember he broke the record which maybe still stands, for most league appearances in a single season.

He played 36 times for East Fife, and then played in Falkirk's last 10 games of the season, for 46, when the max at the time was 44.

Edit has anyone broken this record @craigkillie?

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

45 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

We were, yes.

No, Clarke signed him near the end of 86/87.

I remember he broke the record which maybe still stands, for most league appearances in a single season.

He played 36 times for East Fife, and then played in Falkirk's last 10 games of the season, for 46, when the max at the time was 44.

Edit has anyone broken this record @craigkillie?

I do in theory have the raw data to check this but I haven't pulled it all together properly yet. I remember being really annoyed when Kenny McLean had the chance to play 40 games in a 38-game season in 2014/15 and then Derek McInnes chose to rest him for the final two games.