The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I see the 3rd (white) strip was as a result of the SPFL contacting the club and telling them the 2nd strip was too near the colours of Cove, Peterhead and Montrose. I'm sure that was mentioned on here when the 2nd strip was released.

Aye noone in our club obviously has any common sense to realise that having two blue kits is never going to fecking work. It's no surprise then that everything else they touch is a shambles .

1 hour ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I know we've been over this, but I've just seen Swinney's email update. They do make it incredibly easy for accusations of incompetence to be made. Seriously, was there not one single person at the club to suggest that having two blue kits in a league where half the teams play in blue was a fucking stupid idea?479129548_Screenshot2021-10-05at15_07_40.png.3700f01a03ac19124d63ddaf6c3016a4.png

Aye, they certainly fecked up with that one. 

However, do the SPFL not realise that teams don't have to wear their away kits when away from home? Our home kit doesn't clash with anyone IMO. In fact I would say that the white kit clashes more with Montrose, for example, than the navy one does.

I'm sure also that kits used to have to be approved at the start of each season prior to using them which would have avoided this scenario. I might have that bit wrong though?

Obviously the on the pitch performance has been more than a bit shite in recent weeks however I've been relatively impressed with the steps that the club are taking off the pitch recently. There has been a definite focus on improving the infrastructure. 

If the recent communication from Swinney is to become a somewhat regular occurrence then there will be no complaints from me assuming the content remains half decent. Interested to see what this show which was mentioned turns out to be also. Hopefully the development team continue to progress as well, I seen that, someone who is presumably Fergus' laddie, had been appointed into one of the roles for the U16s squad recently.

Feels as if we are moving in the right direction in at least some sections of the club, hopefully those lagging behind can be brought to a similar standard soon one way or another.

Edited by Chinatoon Bairn

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

You do have a tendency to overthink things Duncan.

Keena, sorry Aidan, isn't going to get a game then as the other players (not to mention the fans) obviously don't have a good relationship with him!

Sheerin (should it be Paul?):unsure2: calls him 'Keena' because everybody else does. His maw probably calls him Keena when she's telling him to tidy his bedroom!

No overthinking. It’s a fact of life. Look at any football forum when a new manager comes in. At the lovey dovey stage, many will refer to him by his first name. As results slip, he will be increasingly referred to as both his first and family names. When things are on the slide, he is referred to by his family name before ultimately that is dropped for common insults such “that clueless twat of a manager”.

Spoken word as well as body language are tells. That’s why every law enforcement on the planet utilises them! Of course, what we hear with Sheerin is that stuff at a base level, but it’s no less observable for that.

It’s why media courses devote a lot of time to the subject.

2 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I am guessing that is true for most people. Certainly in my work experience when I am speaking to colleagues or being referred to by a colleague it is usually given names that are used. The only time this changes is when an unpopular colleague is being spoken about, in their absence, and then they are usually referred to by their family name (or worse). It just seems strange to me that Sheerin would differentiate between his players in this manner.

What tartan are Popodopolouschaterjeesingh's allowed to wear?

Any tartan we want providing it's a sari matched with a chiton.

Seriously though, I do think that Keena's name is used like a nickname as everyone seems to refer to him in this way. Might have something to do with Nesbitt having the same first name too?

Either way I don't think it's something we should be getting wound up about.

23 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

However, do the SPFL not realise that teams don't have to wear their away kits when away from home? Our home kit doesn't clash with anyone IMO. In fact I would say that the white kit clashes more with Montrose, for example, than the navy one does.

I'm sure also that kits used to have to be approved at the start of each season prior to using them which would have avoided this scenario. I might have that bit wrong though?

This is true, Dundee wore their home kit (navy blue) against St Johnstone on Saturday and it was fine. Our home kit is dark enough not to clash with teams in royal blue.

1 minute ago, ShaggerG said:

Seriously though, I do think that Keena's name is used like a nickname as everyone seems to refer to him in this way. Might have something to do with Nesbitt having the same first name too?

Don’t think anyone is getting wound up about it. It’s  an observation. A name ending in a vowel will seldom be altered. I think he referred to Ruth as “Mikey”, and personally, I don’t care for it. I think a coach needs to be more detached.

Anyhoo, when talking of their individual performances and contribution, there is a marked difference so far…….as there is with his overblown support of Hetherington. Football people seek to think they observe stuff on a different level to the playing public, and their view is somehow superior. That is seldom true.

3 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Who? His wife? His father? His brother?

In life I don't know a single person who is referred to by their family name as a matter of course and / or as a term of endearment.

The only people I know who are referred to by their family name on a sole or regular basis are fictional TV characters: Columbo, Quincy, Morse, Kojak, Mulder, Scully, Starsky (not Hutch though), House, Cagney, Lacey, Spock etc.

It just smacks to me of bad personnel management by Sheerin, calling some players by a given name or nickname and others by their family name.

10 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

This is true, Dundee wore their home kit (navy blue) against St Johnstone on Saturday and it was fine. Our home kit is dark enough not to clash with teams in royal blue.

Being a kit dweeb I was wondering what was going on with the third jersey. The rules state that home and away colours have to be 'different and distinct', and colour samples need to be submitted to the governing body by the end of June each year. It's odd to me that Falkirk wouldn't have been told around that time that you'd need a third kit.

However the away kit does have *quite a lot* of navy running through it. Obviously it's just a Puma template kit so Falkirk can't define the colours, but to me that probably makes the kits too similar.

48 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

St Johnstone (blue shirts, white shorts) played at home to Dundee (blue shirts, white shorts) on Saturday.

This obviously doesn't prove anything, apart from one team should change, but it doesn't always happen if the ref deems it ok.

31 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Being a kit dweeb I was wondering what was going on with the third jersey. The rules state that home and away colours have to be 'different and distinct', and colour samples need to be submitted to the governing body by the end of June each year. It's odd to me that Falkirk wouldn't have been told around that time that you'd need a third kit.

However the away kit does have *quite a lot* of navy running through it. Obviously it's just a Puma template kit so Falkirk can't define the colours, but to me that probably makes the kits too similar.

If that is indeed the case and the Spfl had already agreed to that kit then we should've told them to bolt. Their mistake as much as ours.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If that is indeed the case and the Spfl had already agreed to that kit then we should've told them to bolt. Their mistake as much as ours.

This 100%, they would have fecked up not us. As an aside the white kit is nicer anyway and should have been our away strip.

Sheerin can call Keena Aids for all I care, just play the sumbeach up top in a two with the golden child, fur fox ache.

Not sure exactly Holt's remit at the club, but the line between his and Sheerins roles seem blurred enough to allow him to join Deans, Ritchie, Alexander et al behind the curtains when things aren't going so well.

Its a shame Sheerin will take the hit first as I believe he actually has something to offer in this role and is hamstrung by having to work under an unqualified weaselly gobshite, to be quite frank.

Hughes, Houston, even Joe McLaughlin would have been better suited as SD and instead we end up with Chuckles of Killie and questions need to be asked regarding his appointment imo

Guest Ecosse83
2 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Yes but the point is Keena does it - Ruth doesn't when up on his own.

Taking it to extremes and using another famous player analogy, he seems like more of a Wayne Rooney than a Ruud Van Nistelrooy.  

I assume this is why Dowds was also loaned out (because he's not what Sheerin considers an 'out and out striker')

Best option remains to play them both of course.  

Fair enough I get where you are coming from. I suppose some Players can play up top themselves better than others! It must be a frustrating role though when the service is poor! 

2 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Who? His wife? His father? His brother?

In life I don't know a single person who is referred to by their family name as a matter of course and / or as a term of endearment.

The only people I know who are referred to by their family name on a sole or regular basis are fictional TV characters: Columbo, Quincy, Morse, Kojak, Mulder, Scully, Starsky (not Hutch though), House, Cagney, Lacey, Spock etc.

It just smacks to me of bad personnel management by Sheerin, calling some players by a given name or nickname and others by their family name.

Don't be silly.

I agree it is rare for a surname to be used in this way but IMO it's not being used in a derogatory way in this instance at all.

If the players (most of whom would have known Keena closely before Sheerin did) refer to him like that then it's natural that Sheerin would too. 

The guy (Paul, not Aidan) has enough to worry about without double checking what he should be calling his players in an interview.

27 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I agree it is rare for a surname to be used in this way but IMO it's not being used in a derogatory way in this instance at all.

If the players (most of whom would have known Keena closely before Sheerin did) refer to him like that then it's natural that Sheerin would too. 

The guy (Paul, not Aidan) has enough to worry about without double checking what he should be calling his players in an interview.

Do you know that this is the case?

4 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

This forensic analysis of what individual players are referred to in colloquial speech is a new low for this thread. Michty me.

But did we have a friendly agreed with Arbroath?