The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

That’s fair. Haven’t seen any of the development teams. Must’ve misremembered it or it was just supposition. Maybe the Rawlins need to use their power and tell him to play 2 up front then!

Auld Jean even knows we need to let teams worry about us lol, hopefully Sheerin does now too. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Auld Jean even knows we need to let teams worry about us lol, hopefully Sheerin does now too. 

She talks sense. Jean for chairwoman! Get your money on. Odds are 50/50…. 

Listening to Sheerin’s post match interview, it’s very clear that he has absolutely no intention of playing Keena and Ruth together unless we are trying to rescue a game (again), and his previous remark that Ruth needs “a run of games, and he is now getting it” means that come the Airdrie game, Keena will be on the bench, and Ruth will be his “one up front”. He will not change. 

Same for Krasniqi who hasn’t got a snowball’s chance in hell of getting a start ahead of Hetherington. Sheerin seeing Hetherington as an unsung hero of the side tells you that he is a permanent fixture no matter what.

Lemon too will be dropped for the next game……absolute certainty.

51 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Listening to Sheerin’s post match interview, it’s very clear that he has absolutely no intention of playing Keena and Ruth together unless we are trying to rescue a game (again), and his previous remark that Ruth needs “a run of games, and he is now getting it” means that come the Airdrie game, Keena will be on the bench, and Ruth will be his “one up front”. He will not change. 

Same for Krasniqi who hasn’t got a snowball’s chance in hell of getting a start ahead of Hetherington. Sheerin seeing Hetherington as an unsung hero of the side tells you that he is a permanent fixture no matter what.

Lemon too will be dropped for the next game……absolute certainty.

I think the only thing we can read into the interview is he is under pressure, his body language shown that in the early part. 

He clearly should know that Ruth is not a lone striker, if not he is in the wrong job.

It was a strange sub Dixon for Keena, then the late subs were very much answers on a postcard please. I personally think he didn't know himself in the interview regarding the late subs.

The late subs were very much defend for our life which nearly cost us considering we can't defend in a part time league with 4 defenders and two sitting mids.

I think Sheerin will know there will be scowls awaiting for us to take kick off wrong in the crowd if we go one up against Airdrie, yes he will want to be his own man and prove he is right but recent weeks have shown he hasn't been close to being half right 

Edited by MrDust

Guest Back Post Misses
9 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

I’ve seen both the U16s & U18s in recent months and can’t say I’ve noticed anything similar to the 1st team in terms of formation. Style yes (closing down & building from the back) but not formation.  U18s certainly played the match I saw with 2 main strikers. 

Bearing in mind they are playing against nothing more than advanced youth teams I would be hesitant on judging anything we have in those sides for now. 

7 hours ago, MrDust said:

I think the only thing we can read into the interview is he is under pressure, his body language shown that in the early part. 

He bloody should be under pressure.

I have absolutely nothing against Sheerin as a person - indeed, I think he comes across as a decent guy - but absolutely nothing I've seen of him so far has shown me he is capable of managing a full-time club with automatic promotion aspirations and all that comes with it.

If we go through the next few weeks playing two up top and come out with 12+ points out the next 15 my opinion may change, but I'm expecting him to go back to one up front for our next game.

7 hours ago, MrDust said:

He clearly should know that Ruth is not a lone striker, if not he is in the wrong job.

It was a strange sub Dixon for Keena, then the late subs were very much answers on a postcard please. I personally think he didn't know himself in the interview regarding the late subs.

The late subs were very much defend for our life which nearly cost us considering we can't defend in a part time league with 4 defenders and two sitting mids.

I think Sheerin will know there will be scowls awaiting for us to take kick off wrong in the crowd if we go one up against Airdrie, yes he will want to be his own man and prove he is right but recent weeks have shown he hasn't been close to being half right 

I'm guessing this is the first time he has had the pressure of a decent size crowd voicing against him as a coach and he does look rattled with it.

You either have to put your hands up and say you have got it wrong-as the change in formation showed-or you can continue and hope your plan eventually clicks.

I'm going to guess he has to start with two up top against Airdrie, and if it doesn't bear fruit in 45/60 he'll revert back again, which will be a hell of a gamble for his system to suddenly start to gel.

The next one makes or breaks him for me, go with what your fans want or stubborn it out.

Guest Caractacus Potts
3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Bearing in mind they are playing against nothing more than advanced youth teams I would be hesitant on judging anything we have in those sides for now. 

Am I right in thinking none of the youth players are contracted to Falkirk? The way it was presented was as if this run of games is their opportunity to win a contract. Again, could have picked it up wrong but the way Ian Fergus was talking on his recent interview too sounded like there was a lot of rotation and this is an extended trial period. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
51 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

I'm guessing this is the first time he has had the pressure of a decent size crowd voicing against him as a coach and he does look rattled with it.

You either have to put your hands up and say you have got it wrong-as the change in formation showed-or you can continue and hope your plan eventually clicks.

I'm going to guess he has to start with two up top against Airdrie, and if it doesn't bear fruit in 45/60 he'll revert back again, which will be a hell of a gamble for his system to suddenly start to gel.

The next one makes or breaks him for me, go with what your fans want or stubborn it out.

This again was a reservation I had with Sheerin. He was happy to sit in a cushty job for 7 years at Aberdeen and only seemed to start looking for first team management once McInnes left and his job was under threat.

As much as I don’t agree with unnecessary personal abuse against the guy, that will always be a part of football. Maybe he’s not cut out for the stresses of the job. Big few weeks ahead for him anyway. 

In my opinion it’s not a question of whether the Manager bends to the wishes of the fans or continues to work to his preferred system.

Any competent manager has to be flexible in how he sets up a team and at the moment ours does not seem to realise that his system of choice and player selection is not the best use of the squad available to him.

He really has to adapt and do it quickly.

42 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Am I right in thinking none of the youth players are contracted to Falkirk? The way it was presented was as if this run of games is their opportunity to win a contract. Again, could have picked it up wrong but the way Ian Fergus was talking on his recent interview too sounded like there was a lot of rotation and this is an extended trial period. 

There's a certain number that have actually signed contracts but obviously as with all youth teams if better players come along then other players will be released.

24 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I saw all the signed players put their names to contracts in the boardroom. There's about 24 or 25 of them. I obviously don't know the details but I'd guess they're standard youth contracts. 

They're certainly not fulltime professionals. Yet. If they turn out to be good enough, presumably they'll get the same chance that the likes of Mackenzie Lemon did.  

Guest Caractacus Potts
13 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I saw all the signed players put their names to contracts in the boardroom. There's about 24 or 25 of them. I obviously don't know the details but I'd guess they're standard youth contracts. 

They're certainly not fulltime professionals. Yet. If they turn out to be good enough, presumably they'll get the same chance that the likes of Mackenzie Lemon did.  

Thanks. Wasn’t sure how it was set up from what has been said. 

In my opinion it’s not a question of whether the Manager bends to the wishes of the fans or continues to work to his preferred system.
Any competent manager has to be flexible in how he sets up a team and at the moment ours does not seem to realise that his system of choice and player selection is not the best use of the squad available to him.
He really has to adapt and do it quickly.

Surely a modern football manager knows he needs to look at every game in isolation. We can’t be arrogant to assume that teams will alter their shape to accommodate us, there are times when we need to match up to negate their threat - yes, even in league one.
If Sheerin is a one trick pony then he will not last in ANY job. He needs to have players that can adopt any system he chooses or need to play to get best results.

Just listened to the after match interview & my take is similar to what others have commented in that I don’t have much confidence in the fact that he is learning from his set up & selection issues 

Comments like it was a toss of a coin between McKenzie Lemon & Craig Williamson are again not helpful when it is clear that the latter is nor ready for first team yet whereas Lemon is very comfortable playing at Gus level 

I also found his sentiments about the Huddersfield loanee both patronising & contradictory 

Agree that he’s starting lineup v Airdrie will expose his true thoughts on how he perceives opinions of others as my take on the booing etc on Saturday was as much about the lineup & system he was adopting as the players ineptitude 

It was positive that Sheerin did seem to notice his plan was a disaster on Saturday by switching to 2 up top at half time. 

The worrying bit for me was how quickly he made the subs after we went ahead to 'shore things up' which almost lost us our lead. 

Convinced that with confidence high we'd have gone on to score again had he not made those changes.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

Guest Ecosse83
1 hour ago, bejazz1 said:

Surely a modern football manager knows he needs to look at every game in isolation. We can’t be arrogant to assume that teams will alter their shape to accommodate us, there are times when we need to match up to negate their threat - yes, even in league one.
If Sheerin is a one trick pony then he will not last in ANY job. He needs to have players that can adopt any system he chooses or need to play to get best results.

I disagree with that bit. I wish we had the balls to be arrogant enough to go and play to our strengths every game which right now is 2 up top. We had Miller and McCracken who constantly went on about setting up to play our opponents and although Sheerin doesn’t say it as bluntly as they did there definitely seems an element to that with him. 

Obviously we need to know what we are up against but tweak certain things but we really need to start every game playing to our strengths. We just seem to care about opposition a bit too much! 

4 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

It was positive that Sheerin did seem to notice his plan was a disaster on Saturday by switching to 2 up top at half time. 

The worrying bit for me was how quickly he made the subs after we went ahead to 'shore things up' which almost lost us our lead. 

Convinced that with confidence high we'd have gone on to score again had he not made those changes.  

We should have scored again regardless of the changes. Mcdaid missed a sitter.

1 hour ago, Ecosse83 said:

I disagree with that bit. I wish we had the balls to be arrogant enough to go and play to our strengths every game which right now is 2 up top. We had Miller and McCracken who constantly went on about setting up to play our opponents and although Sheerin doesn’t say it as bluntly as they did there definitely seems an element to that with him. 

Obviously we need to know what we are up against but tweak certain things but we really need to start every game playing to our strengths. We just seem to care about opposition a bit too much! 

I don't remember Ian McCall ever changing our formation etc when we played sides in the championship. We had confidence in our own teams ability to blow away sides every week.  No reason we shouldn't be able to put a team on the park at this level that can do that.