The Falkirk FC Thread

25 minutes ago, GeordieBairn said:

probably because for 45 minutes yesterday our attempt to play out from the back was an absolute embarrassment. do i think we should be playing hoofball? absolutely not but that yesterday was an utter joke.

Or put it another way, misplace a forward pass and get roundly booed or take the safe option? I know as a player what I would do. The booing is cyclical and takes away any confidence a player may have so you end up with Nesbitt trying to do everything and everyone else too scared to make a mistake. 

sometimes we need to acknowledge we are part of the problem if we are booing our own players when we are still drawing- it must be confidence destroying- we weren’t 5-0 down!

35 minutes ago, FFC1982 said:

With how many new players and how many injuries though. It’s not an excuse but if you look at Cove and Queens Park, it’s been tweaks to a settled squad, we have completely rebuilt for the 3rd or 4th season in a row. It’s not helping us nor is the constant shouting for a managers head.

This isn’t about being a “happy clapper” it’s about thinking about stability and fans and a team pulling in the same direction, and not booing our own players at 0-0 in a game, what sort of message does that send to young players, try not to make a mistake but if you don’t hoof the ball forward, you’re getting booed?

if I hear one more shout of hoof it forward, that “tactic” hasn’t worked for us for the last 4 seasons so why would it now?

We're talking about basics here though like playing two men up front which gets us goals in comparison to the one up front he starts every week with.  How long do we put up with gaffs like that week in week out?

And when did we suddenly find out there was only two ways to play football? Goofball or pass it about your box till you lose it? Under McCall we didn't fanny about at the back and we sure as hell didn't good it up the park either.  Moving the ball about far  faster gets the ball up the park just as quick as hoofing it .  Problem is you can't have clowns like hetherington in your midfield who are as slow as a week in the jail. He's trying to play a style of football in league one that ain't going to work with the players we have and he won't change it.

6 minutes ago, FFC1982 said:

Or put it another way, misplace a forward pass and get roundly booed or take the safe option? I know as a player what I would do. The booing is cyclical and takes away any confidence a player may have so you end up with Nesbitt trying to do everything and everyone else too scared to make a mistake. 

sometimes we need to acknowledge we are part of the problem if we are booing our own players when we are still drawing- it must be confidence destroying- we weren’t 5-0 down!

you do realise who we were playing? bottom of the league with 1 win to their name. 1 goal down and playing atrociously. if you seriously think as a paying supporter we cant show our frustration at that howling 45 minutes yesterday after 5 weeks on the trot of the same youre mistaken. also were part of the problem? f**k off, ridiculous thing to say considering the numbers we still turn up in after years of utter pish.

Yesterday was extremely frustrating and on that first half showing the boos were more than deserved. 

The most frustrating things for me:

• The starting line up and unwillingness to change
  • The constant backpassing ourselves into danger.  With McKay, Miller and Martin (who looked less comfortable with the ball at his feet than Mutch) this is going to lead to lost goals
  • Think everyone had a sigh of relief when we went 2 up top at half time - we get the lead and realistically would have gone on to win that game 3 or 4 v 1 but almost immediately after going ahead Sheerin replaces McGuffie (who had been shite but had just created the goal) and Nesbitt our biggest creative threat and put on a defender and (another) holding midfielder.  We were then clinging on and very lucky when East Fife hit the post late on.
  • The assault on Nesbitt on the touchline not leading to a sending off
  • Brad McKay
  • Sheerin coming over to the SS.  I was there and took the opportunity to shout at him to play 2 up front.  I couldn't hear much of the 'conversation' he was having with the young guys but just before he walked away he was animated saying "we were 2 v 1 up" which I assume was defending the fact someone was having a go at him for his subs.  

As others have said he simply HAS to learn from his mistakes and quickly.  The 3-5-2 we moved to in the 2nd half had us far more dangerous and when Morrison is back on the right for McGuffie we'll score goals.  

I get that as a fanbase Keena is a focal point to everyones frustrations with results and tactics but based on what I've seen since he has come in Ruth is better than Keena.  His harrying, hold up play and goal threat has been really good when he has a tiny bit of support.  Up front together those 2 will score goals.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

Guest Back Post Misses

I don’t think it was wise of him to get into a debate with fans at the end of the game however it does show he has got the balls. Supporters however are not as thick as Directors think they are and can see what is good and bad. Sheerin also has to understand the pent up frustration that has built up for years now. 

I still think it is best to stick with Sheerin, however he has to look at the impact playing two up has had and put aside any differences he has had with Keena, if he has had, and play him and Ruth up top at least till January. The next window is a long way off and we have to be in touch before that opens. 

For me the real issue is the DOF and the regime above Sheerin. Sheerin is copping most of the stick, some justified, however 80% of the players are not his. The January window is vital and trusting Holt with it for me is not a risk I would be taking. Sheerin will know what he needs he doesn’t need Holt to find them for him. He and Grainger can get on their bikes and find the players themselves. It is not as if they are looking for a complete new squads 

The spine of the team has still not been addressed with goalkeeper, CH, CM and CF an issue. Those have to be addressed for January IMO and they MUST be the players Sheerin and Grainger want not landed on them by the DOF.  

Guest Back Post Misses
2 hours ago, FFC1982 said:

Or maybe, and it’s just a maybe our “supporters” will finally realise that we can’t keep going with this madness. It’s worked out great bringing all these ex players back when we’ve shouted for them so let’s do it again! Booing a team who are drawing 0-0 less than a month after many on here were singing the praises of the football on display shows how fickle we’ve become. I’m not thrilled with how we’ve been playing but continuing to sack managers is not answer. 
For every, but Dumbarton can manage it, look at the impact at Dunfermline where from the outside looking in their players have stopped playing for the man in charge, I didn’t see any of that from our team yesterday. Sheerin asked for a response at half time and he got it.

You are never going to get away from fans venting their feelings especially as we are in Div 3 and still struggling. 
It needs manager and players that have the balls to play under that pressure from here. 

12 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I don’t think it was wise of him to get into a debate with fans at the end of the game however it does show he has got the balls. Supporters however are not as thick as Directors think they are and can see what is good and bad. Sheerin also has to understand the pent up frustration that has built up for years now. 

I still think it is best to stick with Sheerin, however he has to look at the impact playing two up has had and put aside any differences he has had with Keena, if he has had, and play him and Ruth up top at least till January. The next window is a long way off and we have to be in touch before that opens. 

For me the real issue is the DOF and the regime above Sheerin. Sheerin is copping most of the stick, some justified, however 80% of the players are not his. The January window is vital and trusting Holt with it for me is not a risk I would be taking. Sheerin will know what he needs he doesn’t need Holt to find them for him. He and Grainger can get on their bikes and find the players themselves. It is not as if they are looking for a complete new squads 

The spine of the team has still not been addressed with goalkeeper, CH, CM and CF an issue. Those have to be addressed for January IMO and they MUST be the players Sheerin and Grainger want not landed on them by the DOF.  

I agree with most of this but he has to do better than Wilson, Ompreon, and Ross (I assume promoting C.Williamson and Weekes was also his choice).  So far Ruth and Lemon look like the only successes.   

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

On the list of problems currently afflicting Falkirk Football club - and it's not a short one - fans booing one of, if not the, single worst 45 minutes of football served up in years, comes in at about number 3,184,765.

If Sheerin can get himself in gear I've seen nothing to change my view we have shortcomings but still have enough about us to be winning this league.  

An midfield to attack of the following would easily score more goals than we'd concede. 

Telfer
Morrison        Nesbitt        McDaid
                Keena       Ruth

1 hour ago, keithgy said:

Doesn't look like anything else other than fans and Sheerin voicing their opinions, neither side look like they are raging or aggressive or threatening to 'lamp' anyone, and then just start singing keena's name. An absolute nothing Story just like I had hoped and imagined it would be. The video of the dunfermline fans yesterday though, that's proper rage. 

Guest Ecosse83

This might sound harsh but after listening to that interview it get rid now. I’m sick of having managers that set up to the opposition in League bloody 1. 

Play to our strengths and let teams worry about is FFS!

This might sound harsh but after listening to that interview it get rid now. I’m sick of having managers that set up to the opposition in League bloody 1. 

Play to our strengths and let teams worry about is FFS!

Is our squad good enough to do that though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He clearly has something against keena, you can tell he his praise for him is through gritted teeth. Our next starting 11 is the final chance for me before I lose faith in Sheerin. He seems so stubborn. Hetherington was the worst player on the park for the first half, a lot better the second half. So if he is to accommodate golden boy in a better position, that might force the formation change for him. 

I think he will start Keena and Ruth in our next game. Its clear to everyone thats the right course of action and I dont think Sheerin is at the level of arseholery required to "make a point to the fans" and not make the required change.

That said, hel probably have no shortage of advisors up the stairs telling him he doesnt answer to the marks.