The Falkirk FC Thread

Did they? Apart from the penalty and their two goals I can’t really remember Mutch having anything else to do. Certainly not as clear as ours. 

Well of course the penalty is a massive chance and then Keatings free header from inside the 6 yard box when scores were still at 0-0.

But like I said though when we don’t play our best striker and our defence is dugmeat then it really doesn’t make much difference.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

I’m only 38

That's ancient. 

Anyway happy to draw a line under this it's became ridiculous, I got the answer I knew I would get. Will see if actually anything comes of the incident, I doubt there will. 

We won, unconvincingly, but won none the less after changes were made, the real proof in the pudding will be the next match and the starting 11. If Sheerin hasn't learned from today then I'm on board with the rest of the negativity. Which is a shame really as he started well. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Really surprised at how Sheerin is doing with you guys. One thing I was convinced of was that he would have you playing exciting attacking fitba. As I’ve said here before, when he was with us (Arbroath), one thing you could be sure of was plenty of goals - for and against.

I can only think that it’s one of two things, either he had no real idea what he was doing with us as he was still learning management and just decided to go for it… or his spontaneity and enthusiasm for attacking fitba has been coached out of him at Aberdeen. I reckon it’s probably a combination of both.

Still think and hope he’ll come good for you.

Can I ask, how vital was Sheerin as a player to the success? Things seemed to tail off for you under him when he stopped playing. 

This is a crazy argument. I've no idea what Sheerin said or didn't say but I'm 55yr old and never in my life have I heard someone say "come here and say that" and it's not taken in the context of " you say it again and you're getting your c**t kicked in" or you say it again and I will try to kick your c**t in. Never ever heard it said in a friendly way, maybe just me though.

2 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Can I ask, how vital was Sheerin as a player to the success? Things seemed to tail off for you under him when he stopped playing. 

Very good question. He was brilliant on the park for us, a very classy player. If my memory serves me right, there was a period in his first (title winning) season where we were losing our way a little when he got injured at Brechin I think. He missed a few games but it gave him more time to concentrate on the management role and we got back to form. 

I think our form under him only really tailed off when he had off-field issues. Our first three seasons with him were - 1st (league 2), 2nd (league 1, lost in playoff) then 5th in league 1 so no obvious tail off until his 4th season where we were poor and relegated but, as I said, I think he had some personal issues to deal with.

Guest Caractacus Potts

I’m more concerned about whether Sheerin is right for the job.

Sheerin comes across like a decent guy. Obviously no idea what the fan said but I’d guess it was quite provocative towards Sheerin. Some fans are awful at spouting abuse and then complaining about it when the person reacts. 

This is a nothing for me and as others pointed out at least he showed passion and a willingness to engage with the fans in the first place even though it may have been misjudged. 

Making a meal of this gives the board an easy way out and makes it too easy to make Sheerin a scape goat. If they have to sack him then it should be because they got it wrong, then they should follow suit. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

17 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I’m more concerned about whether Sheerin is right for the job.

No idea what was said but Sheerin comes across well. Obviously no idea what the other fan was like but I’d guess it was quite provocative towards Sheerin. Some fans are awful at spouting abuse and then complaining about it when the person reacts. 

This is a nothing thing for me and as others pointed out at least he showed passion and a willingness to engage with the fans in the first place even though it may have been misjudged. 

Making a meal of this gives the board an easy way out and makes it too easy to make Sheerin a scape goat. If they have to sack him then it should be because they got it wrong, then they should follow suit. 

I agree with this. Don't think it's a good idea for managers/players to argue with fans but if fans want to hurl abuse they shouldn't be too precious to get some back. Loved the quote from Eric Cantona when asked if he had any regrets about booting the Palace fan and he replied with a cheeky grin that he regretted not booting him harder. Maybe see Sheerin jumping into the stands soon 😁.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

Sheerin is passionate about the team but needs to realise that the fans need to be heard whether he likes it or not. This team is under producing and many life long fans are struggling to hide their anger. We deserve better. It looks like Keena and probably Krasniqi are not being well behaved in training and are not getting starter spots as a result. This is an area that Holt could perhaps give a hand as he has more experience and power.
It is blatantly obvious that 2 up front completely changes our performance and Sheerin knows this too. With Morrison playing it was not so essential because Callum provided a goal threat but in his absence we need 2 strikers. I feel it must be an attitude problem as a blind man can see two strikers are the answer but Sheerin must have an off field issue with Keena.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Rather than sacking Sheerin after 4, 5 or 10 games, I simply wouldn't have appointed him in the first place. We're in year 3 in League One, now is not the time for 'long-term plans'. He doesn't have time to 'build'. We need to go up this year. I'd have appointed a manager capable of doing that. He might get us promoted, he might not. But it's a risk we didn't need to take.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

I agree that Sheerin should have started with two up front today and the first half was very poor but I don't think a proportion of our support help matters. The toxic atmosphere is back, again.  We are in a viscious cycle - booing paddy martin, in one of his first games for us, for not throwing the ball out quickly enough ffs.  Im scunnered with the whole thing.  

Guest Caractacus Potts
12 minutes ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

Sheerin is passionate about the team but needs to realise that the fans need to be heard whether he likes it or not. This team is under producing and many life long fans are struggling to hide their anger. We deserve better. It looks like Keena and probably Krasniqi are not being well behaved in training and are not getting starter spots as a result. This is an area that Holt could perhaps give a hand as he has more experience and power.
It is blatantly obvious that 2 up front completely changes our performance and Sheerin knows this too. With Morrison playing it was not so essential because Callum provided a goal threat but in his absence we need 2 strikers. I feel it must be an attitude problem as a blind man can see two strikers are the answer but Sheerin must have an off field issue with Keena.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

This is the mad thing about having Gary Holt as DoF. Paul Sheerin was a first team manager for 3 seasons before Holt got his first stint as a manager. Holt obviously has more recent experience than Sheerin however there’s not much between them in terms of overall managerial/coaching experience. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

Loved the quote from Eric Cantona when asked if he had any regrets about booting the Palace fan and he replied with a cheeky grin that he regretted not booting him harder. 

Quality quote delivered brilliantly, almost as good as "unfortunately he didn't fall" when referring to the photographer who was up a tree taking his picture during his ban for said incident.

Rather than sacking Sheerin after 4, 5 or 10 games, I simply wouldn't have appointed him in the first place. We're in year 3 in League One, now is not the time for 'long-term plans'. He doesn't have time to 'build'. We need to go up this year. I'd have appointed a manager capable of doing that. He might get us promoted, he might not. But it's a risk we didn't need to take.

People say things like this but out of all the candidates that were linked, who would you have appointed to guarantee we get up? I don’t think Sheerin is any more or less of a gamble than any of the rest of them would’ve been

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Rocco said:

People say things like this but out of all the candidates that were linked, who would you have appointed to guarantee we get up? I don’t think Sheerin is any more or less of a gamble than any of the rest of them would’ve been

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d have chucked the sink at Dick Campbell. One year contract with the sole remit of getting us out of this league.

Edited by Gaz

1 hour ago, Ross B said:

I agree that Sheerin should have started with two up front today and the first half was very poor but I don't think a proportion of our support help matters. The toxic atmosphere is back, again.  We are in a viscious cycle - booing paddy martin, in one of his first games for us, for not throwing the ball out quickly enough ffs.  Im scunnered with the whole thing.  

The booing of the keeper was atrocious tbh. I sometimes wonder what the fans expect the keeper to do. Punt the ball up to absolutely no one, or to a player that cant win a header or hold the ball up? Throw the ball out to Gary Miller or Paul Dixon, whom just abOut lost every ball they sauntered up the park with today, actually they barely even found a pass the first 45 mins.

Honestly shite like this can get to f**k, almost reeds like you’re trying to out the blame on us being incredibly shite on the fans.

We have been absolutely terrible this season and results have been disgraceful, considering what we’ve witnessed I genuinely don’t think the atmosphere is anywhere near as bad as it could or even probably should be. With Paddy Martin it was the case of a frustrated fanbase getting annoyed at the continued efforts by our own players to slow us down to a snails pace. It was more towards the style of play or what he’s been told to do and not like Martin was getting any abuse.

4 minutes ago, Russ said:

Honestly shite like this can get to f**k, almost reeds like you’re trying to out the blame on us being incredibly shite on the fans.

We have been absolutely terrible this season and results have been disgraceful, considering what we’ve witnessed I genuinely don’t think the atmosphere is anywhere near as bad as it could or even probably should be. With Paddy Martin it was the case of a frustrated fanbase getting annoyed at the continued efforts by our own players to slow us down to a snails pace. It was more towards the style of play or what he’s been told to do and not like Martin was getting any abuse.

From where I was sitting today, they clearly were directing abuse at the keeper. Unless there's another player called Paddy Martin in the team?

Edited by glasgow_bairn

Please stop with this no booing pish. We are a supposed Premier League team who, at the time of the booing, were 8th in the 3rd tier. They are lucky all they got was a wee bit booing.

If we start to accept that so as not to hurt a players feelings then we’re fucked. Move the ball faster, play forward when it’s on and show a bit of fight and it’ll go a long way.