The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Yes, it’s a bit unsavoury really IMO.

Im not happy with how things are going - far from it - but there’s really no need for naming folk, speculating about their salary and whether they should be employed or not.

I’m not necessarily talking about ‘high profile’ individuals like the manager/sporting director per se but not sure I like the chatter on others really.

It is the need or otherwise for the roles that are being discussed not the individuals themselves.

When you work for a football club you are in the public eye back room staff included.

6 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

It is the need or otherwise for the roles that are being discussed not the individuals themselves.

When you work for a football club you are in the public eye back room staff included.

I don’t think some of the folk being named here can be classed as “back room staff” though. 

I just don’t like the naming of names and speculating about salaries really. It’s not necessary. Just my take.

I don’t think some of the folk being named here can be classed as “back room staff” though. 

I just don’t like the naming of names and speculating about salaries really. It’s not necessary. Just my take.

Agreed and worse that people are speculating about how much individuals are being paid. I’m sure much of this appears pure guesswork, we need to work on facts.

I do tend to agree that we are top heavy in non playing staff and I’ve felt for some time that we could remove’ unnecessary’ costs and focus on first team matters. If and when we do get out of this hell house of a league we can then build the structure and strategy to consolidate and move forward. It’s seems we are putting the cart before the horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Caractacus Potts
19 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Yeh sorry, understand what you’re saying. I was naming the positions but know that the information about who does what is on the website too. Don’t know them and wasn’t saying they’re unnecessary. It was more to try understand the existing expense to highlight why having an SD and potentially chief of scouting etc are luxury roles for a club in our position, especially when the playing budget doesn’t seem very high. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

Guest Caractacus Potts
9 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

Agreed and worse that people are speculating about how much individuals are being paid. I’m sure much of this appears pure guesswork, we need to work on facts.

I do tend to agree that we are top heavy in non playing staff and I’ve felt for some time that we could remove’ unnecessary’ costs and focus on first team matters. If and when we do get out of this hell house of a league we can then build the structure and strategy to consolidate and move forward. It’s seems we are putting the cart before the horse.

Agree with that although we’ll never know how exactly the club spends money so guesswork is the best we can use. It was the Beanos fan discussing Liam Corr’s wage that got me wondering how we can afford Holts apparent £50k wage. Didn’t mean to bring attention to those who work hard on non footballing matters for most likely a low-moderate wage.

5 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

For me, with the players we have I'd play a 3-5-2 as follows:

Mutch/Martin (don't think it makes much difference)

McKay/Hall (canny make up my mind), Dixon, Lemon

Williamson, Nesbitt, Krasniqi, Telfer, McCann

Morrison, Keena

Yes, I know Morrison's not a striker but I think he'd still be better than Ompreon & Ruth. I'd probably give McKay the benefit of the doubt at the moment too considering he's just back from injury and hasn't played a lot.

Got to play your best players and, at the moment, Sheerin isn't doing that.

I am a big fan of 3-5-2 for this league and the one up but our bench is more howling with that formation....

Morrison doesn't know the offside rule when pushed up top would be a massive no for me and he won't be back soon. The rest with the above team depends on the full backs being fit and both them haven't started a league game yet, we don't have decent wing backs to replace them unless we pull a leahy out the bag with Seb Ross or a.nother.

We basically have 3,4,5 or 6 players who are effective in the hole behind the striker(s)

A 4-4-2 would see you really choose either Nesbitt or Telfer as both aren't great out wide. 

I'd be more inclined to go 4-4-1-1 with Nesbitt pushed forward as well as Telfer with Krasniqi sitting but there is more chance of Sam McGivern starting on Saturday than the above.

Hetherington will start, be captain and look as able as Chris McCart was with us 

That’s the thing when coaches/managers have a narrow field of vision. Everything he does genuinely feels as if he hasn’t been able to shed the “education” role he had with Aberdeen into a front line role. 
Be it Largs or wherever, he is set in the way he wants to play, and is so rigid in that belief, he is never going to change. If that rigid approach ends up costing him his job, then I actually think he still wouldn’t change. It feels as if he is simply applying what he was taught while getting his coaching badges.

I am sure he said that after his time as Arbroath, he had learned some lessons. I am not sure that he did. I would bet he’s getting the same things wrong today as he did back then.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

17 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

That’s the thing when coaches/managers have a narrow field of vision. Everything he does genuinely feels as if he hasn’t been able to shed the “education” role he had with Aberdeen into a front line role. 
Be it Largs or wherever, he is set in the way he wants to play, and is so rigid in that belief, he is never going to change. If that rigid approach ends up costing him his job, then I actually think he still wouldn’t change. It feels as if he is simply applying what he was taught while getting his coaching badges.

I am sure he said that after his time as Arbroath, he had learned some lessons. I am not sure that he did. I would bet he’s getting the same things wrong today as he did back then.

7 years since his time at Arbroath is quite a gap too. He's maybe forgotten the lessons he had learned back then

Or could it be that when he was interviewed he was told how the club (sporting director) wanted us to play football and how that style would be implemented and they agreed to it. He’s got the job and the club expressed that he got the job because he shared a vision on how they want to play, so changing might not be an option for him if his boss is telling him to stick with it. If he does change then his days may be numbered anyway.

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

7 years since his time at Arbroath is quite a gap too. He's maybe forgotten the lessons he had learned back then

Strange in the interview with Spiers but he talked about winning the league with Arbroath after retiring. He was still playing at the time and a vital part of that team. Also admitted that he achieved decent success by managing to take advantage of bringing players like Swankie and Doris who he knew and were at the end of their playing careers. Think that was the same with McCall and us to an extent. Perfect timing as he picked up the best of the Airdrie players and got favours from old team mates. 

Sheerin is quite an honest guy and seems very likeable. Doesn’t mean he’ll be great but he deserves more time to try get it right. He has made mistake for sure but feel like he’s had one hand tied behind his back too. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
5 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Or could it be that when he was interviewed he was told how the club (sporting director) wanted us to play football and how that style would be implemented and they agreed to it. He’s got the job and the club expressed that he got the job because he shared a vision on how they want to play, so changing might not be an option for him if his boss is telling him to stick with it. If he does change then his days may be numbered anyway.

Did wonder that too. Sheerin was their identikit coach and brought in to play the way Holt and the board wanted so maybe you’re right. 

12 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Strange in the interview with Spiers but he talked about winning the league with Arbroath after retiring. He was still playing at the time and a vital part of that team. Also admitted that he achieved decent success by managing to take advantage of bringing players like Swankie and Doris who he knew and were at the end of their playing careers. Think that was the same with McCall and us to an extent. Perfect timing as he picked up the best of the Airdrie players and got favours from old team mates. 

Sheerin is quite an honest guy and seems very likeable. Doesn’t mean he’ll be great but he deserves more time to try get it right. He has made mistake for sure but feel like he’s had one hand tied behind his back too. 

Sounds like he's losing the plot if you ask me.End of their careers? Doris and Swankie are still playing 7 years later FFS.🤣🤣

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Guest Caractacus Potts
33 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Sounds like he's losing the plot if you ask me.End of their careers? Doris and Swankie are still playing 7 years later FFS.🤣🤣

Had to listen back and seems I did misquote him. He did say he had just finished playing and seems to suggest as a result that allowed him to bring in those players who were better than that level(I must’ve mixed the two up). Still odd that he said he had finished playing as he made the second most appearances for Arbroath that season. That was one thing that concerned me when using his first few seasons as a sign of his success as he was a pretty tidy player and would have ran the midfield for them. When he stopped playing Arbroath’s results dwindled. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

22 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Agreed. He's so far out his depth it's untrue, but extremely fortunate to be playing East Fife on Saturday, which if we win all will be rosy and will have bought him a week at least, lose or draw and I'd hope he resigns with immediate effect.