The Falkirk FC Thread

23 minutes ago, BooBairn said:

The worrying thing is when people start accepting this level and we should give people more time when we are sitting in 6th place in league 1 after finishing the previous season in 5th place. Expectations and standards have dropped massively.

Soon Deans and co will be congratulating the team for pushing hard to make the play off places in league one and some Falkirk fans will clap the team off the pitch as we unfortunately miss out on 4th place to f**king Dumbarton. 

I don't see anyone 'accepting' the level we're at. We're in League 1 though and that's not going to change at least until the end of the season.  People saying we played well and deserved to win is called discussing the match and that's a big part of what this forum is about.  

Reminding everyone that you're more angry than them is pointless.  Most of the people constantly moaning are the same people who were constantly moaning on One F when Yogi had us 7th in the SPL.  I don't understand why those folk even bother with football - can't be good for the blood pressure.  

2 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I don't see anyone 'accepting' the level we're at. We're in League 1 though and that's not going to change at least until the end of the season.  People saying we played well and deserved to win is called discussing the match and that's a big part of what this forum is about.  

Reminding everyone that you're more angry than them is pointless.  Most of the people constantly moaning are the same people who were constantly moaning on One F when Yogi had us 7th in the SPL.  I don't understand why those folk even bother with football - can't be good for the blood pressure.  

Bet you went tonto at the equalising goal yesterday. Delighted with the point. COYB lads and onto next week. 

5 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Sweeping statements like this are just complete nonsense.  Plenty of youth team coaches go on to become good managers.  Its as daft an argument as the folk who try to claim that because some older guys we signed in the past didn;t work out we should never sign any more older guys.  

A couple of days away from this forum and the football might do you good Shadwell.  

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/07/football-club-next-manager-coaching-youth-team-premier-league-ferguson-ljungberg

What a pile of tosh. How many of those youth coaches went straight into managing the top flight club from their youth post?  All of them have started off well down the pecking order and worked their way up.   It's pretty obvious that Falkirk is far too big a club and in far too complex a mess for sheerin to come straight into and be a success in. We don't have time for him to learn on the just b either as we need promotion now not in one or two seasons. 

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

What a pile of tosh. How many of those youth coaches went straight into managing the top flight club from their youth post?  All of them have started off well down the pecking order and worked their way up.   It's pretty obvious that Falkirk is far too big a club and in far too complex a mess for sheerin to come straight into and be a success in. We don't have time for him to learn on the just b either as we need promotion now not in one or two seasons. 

Christ no wonder other clubs rip the pish out of Falkirk fans for being arrogant.  

Guest Ecosse83

On paper the next 4 or 5 fixtures are some of the easier fixtures in this league and anything less than 3 or 4 victories will be completely unacceptable. 

Less of the chess game shitehouse tactics, I want to be entertained! 

Edited by Ecosse83

34 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

I cannot see the club derail its plans because of an indifferent start. The good thing here it’s not even October yet so still time to turn it around. 

The plan - the only plan - is to be exiting this division - at the right end - come May of next year. The consequences of any other outcome do not bear thinking about, especially from a financial point of view. To that end, sitting in the bottom half of the table, having already lost three games before September is even out and on a run of 1 point out of 12 from from games against the combined might of QP, Alloa Athletic, Dumbarton and Montrose, it's fair to say the train is already in danger of derailment. The only thing that keeps Sheerin in a job from here is an immediate and significant upturn in results and performances. Anything less than 3 points at home to a rank-rotten, bottom of the table East Fife next Saturday and I'd be surprised if those above him were not considering alternative options.

2 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

On paper the next 4 or 5 fixtures are some of the easier fixtures in this league and analysing less than 3 or 4 victories will be completely unacceptable. 

Less of the chess game shitehouse chess game tactics, I want to be entertained! 

I want 4 victories from our next 4 - simple as that.

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

7 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Love this thread. Never ever fails to amuse. 

17 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Anything less than 3 points at home to a rank-rotten, bottom of the table East Fife next Saturday and I'd be surprised if those above him were not considering alternative options.

I think Sheerin himself might beat them to the punch. The man looks totally lost and really doesn't look or sound like he can handle the pressure. 

16 minutes ago, AGPar said:

The plan - the only plan - is to be exiting this division - at the right end - come May of next year. The consequences of any other outcome do not bear thinking about, especially from a financial point of view. To that end, sitting in the bottom half of the table, having already lost three games before September is even out and on a run of 1 point out of 12 from from games against the combined might of QP, Alloa Athletic, Dumbarton and Montrose, it's fair to say the train is already in danger of derailment. The only thing that keeps Sheerin in a job from here is an immediate and significant upturn in results and performances. Anything less than 3 points at home to a rank-rotten, bottom of the table East Fife next Saturday and I'd be surprised if those above him were not considering alternative options.

Who ? Sheerin was a 3rd choice behind Rice and Grant.

Nobody of the quality required will touch us as our hire and fire reputation will just have been reinforced by punting Sheerin cascading down to the players who will see the managers departure as a signal they are on their way out as well.

If Sheerin stays it is because of these factors - nothing else

As someone who’s watched Falkirk longer than most on here, I’ve not commented much recently as I really just don’t know what should happen. Im no expert on the intricacies of football tactics, coaching, etc. but I do love going to games and watching us do reasonably well within the constraints of our fan base, resources, etc. We’re never going to set the heather on fire but it is galling to see the likes of Livingston, Hamilton, st. Johnstone et al doing so much better.

The last few years under Hartley, McKinnon and M &M were turgid affairs with little enjoyment being served up.

With Sheerin, I have actually loved watching the new playing style but maybe that’s because what preceded was just so awful.

After the initial hopeful spell we have gone backwards with no end result for all the fine play.

To that extent I can see where both camps of opinion are coming from.

What to do?

I think Sheerin, who comes over as a decent sort, needs to be given more time- probably end of October.

I totally agree that his failure to adapt his formation and team selections is baffling and I would hope that Grainger would try to influence some of his decisions. However, if he is rigid in his philosophy and the results don’t improve, then the Board will need to act before it is too late.

Unlike previous seasons, I don’t think it would take all that much to turn things around.

Im probably a ‘sitter on the fence’ but hey- ho, I’m no expert.

You know by the end of the first quarter whether it's going to be a good season or not . You just have to look at our past league triumphs some we were poor for the first couple of games but by the time we were 8 or 9 games in we were firing on all cylinders . We're nowhere near that stage just now . 

3 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

As someone who’s watched Falkirk longer than most on here, I’ve not commented much recently as I really just don’t know what should happen. Im no expert on the intricacies of football tactics, coaching, etc. but I do love going to games and watching us do reasonably well within the constraints of our fan base, resources, etc. We’re never going to set the heather on fire but it is galling to see the likes of Livingston, Hamilton, st. Johnstone et al doing so much better.

The last few years under Hartley, McKinnon and M &M were turgid affairs with little enjoyment being served up.

With Sheerin, I have actually loved watching the new playing style but maybe that’s because what preceded was just so awful.

After the initial hopeful spell we have gone backwards with no end result for all the fine play.

To that extent I can see where both camps of opinion are coming from.

What to do?

I think Sheerin, who comes over as a decent sort, needs to be given more time- probably end of October.

I totally agree that his failure to adapt his formation and team selections is baffling and I would hope that Grainger would try to influence some of his decisions. However, if he is rigid in his philosophy and the results don’t improve, then the Board will need to act before it is too late.

Unlike previous seasons, I don’t think it would take all that much to turn things around.

Im probably a ‘sitter on the fence’ but hey- ho, I’m no expert.

I was no fan of McKinnon but I still got far more enjoyment out of beating Dumbarton six nothing under him than losing two nil to them under sheerin I'm afraid to say.

16 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Christ no wonder other clubs rip the pish out of Falkirk fans for being arrogant.  

I don't see why thinking that Falkirk should be doing better than clubs like Dumbarton and east Fife is arrogance.  Arrogance is having a COE and DOF when your sixth in the bloody third division.  It's all about expectations FFS.  We don't have a divine right to be anywhere but we should have an expectation to be much further up the pecking order than we are and where we undoubtedly would be if the club was run properly. 

It might be the same league but sheerin joining Falkirk is a whole different kettle of fish than joining east Fife or the like.  Staying in the league and having the odd run at the playoffs is their managers expectations are you happy for that to be ours too? Failure for them to get promoted doesn't risk the future of those clubs. It very much does in our case though.  Our manager can't have a three year plan to get us promoted it needs to happen now. 

8 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Funnily enough I overhead one of our many consultants on the board discussing how much hard work Sheerin was due to his stubbornness way back in August.

Ah, August, those happy, carefree times all of 26 days ago. 😋 Will they ever return?

I am assuming you'll appreciate the sarcasm?😆

Joking aside, you are right, Sheerin needs to learn that he is not coaching kids anymore, he is in a results driven environment now and he needs to be flexible and adapt.

54 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Sweeping statements like this are just complete nonsense.  Plenty of youth team coaches go on to become good managers.  Its as daft an argument as the folk who try to claim that because some older guys we signed in the past didn;t work out we should never sign any more older guys.  

A couple of days away from this forum and the football might do you good Shadwell.  

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/07/football-club-next-manager-coaching-youth-team-premier-league-ferguson-ljungberg

Such a bogus argument. How many successful managers weren’t part of a youth system ? Precious few. I could counter your “Plenty of youth team coaches go on to become good managers” with “For every youth team coach that gets a sniff of becoming a first team coach or manager, only 1% will be successful.”