The Falkirk FC Thread

29 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Sheerin is sticking to a particular style of football that I don't think we have the quality to play unfortunately. He needs to show very quickly that he can adapt to what he's seeing on the park every week or he won't be long for the job.

We do appear to have a much worse squad than you would imagine our budget could attract and signing Jaime Wilson(after a trial!) aside, I don't think Sheerin can be blamed for that. We have had poor luck with injuries but our beloved Sporting Director should have ensured that we were much better prepared for that.

Sheerin says he has the final say on every signing since he came in. If that's not the case he shouldn't have said it as it's making him look a complete mug now.

There are undoubtedly problems at the moment.  I agree (and always have) with anyone calling for Holt to go - he is a cancer at the centre of the club.  Sheerin too has become incredibly frustrating over the last few games with his refusal to change things to play 2 up front and that must change next week. 

Having said that the point @bejazz1makes about balance is a good one.  This forum is incredibly hard to read at times when every 2nd post is punctuated by Shadwell ranting about completely everythng and ZBairn Potts mysteriously turning up at the same time every day to turn every conversation into another whinge about their pals not  being allowed to invest.  

No Falkirk fan is seriously saying everything is rosy at the moment.  We are all well aware we're in League 1 and on a bad run of results.  

I find myself being much more positive on here than I often am at the games, purely because the lack of any willingness to give an inch on the entrenched beliefs most have and the need to try and at least offer up a counter argument to some of the more ridiculous points made.  

Watch the highlights from yesterday and tell me we weren't incredibly lucky not to be out of sight.  I'll make it easy with the link and before anyone says it I KNOW that chances don't = points but last 2 seasons chances just weren;t being created and the football was dugsh*te.  

We do need to play 2 up as both Keena and Ruth are capable of forming a decent partnership if Keena can match his effort to his ability.  We do also have better players this season than we've had previously so I also dispute that.  Sure we have some rank rotten players too  that are well documented but McDaid, Morrison, Nesbitt, Telfer, Keena, Ruth, R Williamson would all walk into any other team in the league.  A run clear of injuries would be nice and is long overdue.

Of course we have to turn the tide very soon and start turning chances into wins.  Watching this season v last I still have more hope than I did then that a good run is possible but things need to change fast. 

5 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

There are undoubtedly problems at the moment.  I agree (and always have) with anyone calling for Holt to go - he is a cancer at the centre of the club.  Sheerin too has become incredibly frustrating over the last few games with his refusal to change things to play 2 up front and that must change next week. 

Having said that the point @bejazz1makes about balance is a good one.  This forum is incredibly hard to read at times when every 2nd post is punctuated by Shadwell ranting about completely everythng and ZBairn Potts mysteriously turning up at the same time every day to turn every conversation into another whinge about their pals not  being allowed to invest.  

No Falkirk fan is seriously saying everything is rosy at the moment.  We are all well aware we're in League 1 and on a bad run of results.  

I find myself being much more positive on here than I often am at the games, purely because the lack of any willingness to give an inch on the entrenched beliefs most have and the need to try and at least offer up a counter argument to some of the more ridiculous points made.  

Watch the highlights from yesterday and tell me we weren't incredibly lucky not to be out of sight.  I'll make it easy with the link and before anyone says it I KNOW that chances don't = points but last 2 seasons chances just weren;t being created and the football was dugsh*te.  

We do need to play 2 up as both Keena and Ruth are capable of forming a decent partnership if Keena can match his effort to his ability.  We do also have better players this season than we've had previously so I also dispute that.  Sure we have some rank rotten players too  that are well documented but McDaid, Morrison, Nesbitt, Telfer, Keena, Ruth, R Williamson would all walk into any other team in the league.  A run clear of injuries would be nice and is long overdue.

Of course we have to turn the tide very soon and start turning chances into wins.  Watching this season v last I still have more hope than I did then that a good run is possible but things need to change fast. 

If the Montrose game was an isolated incident it would be different. If we'd pumped alloa, queen's park and Dumbarton then you could say great fight back guys fought to the end . Hard won point. However, it was the same dreadful finishing and awful defending that marred the other 3 games. The same terrible team selection that puts us in trouble from the start. It's happening week in week out for a reason. 

My views are entrenched because they are right every season that's the point. Until proved wrong at some point why should I change them. The folk trying to change my mind have no evidence to back themselves up as they have been wrong every time they've tried to change it over the past 5 seasons.  It's like you trying to tell me the skies going to be green tomorrow , me saying is it feck lo and behold it's blue and yet you come back again telling me aye but tomorrow it's going to definitely be green. 

Your on cloud cukoo land if you think Keena and Ruth would walk into queen's park or cove. I'd take megginson and murray any day of the week over ours. And Ryan Williamson seems to struggle to walk anywhere so until he plays more than a few minutes without getting crocked I doubt any other side would want him. Mcdaid has done nothing of note so far either.

Better players than previously? What makes you think.that. our first season down we only lost about 5 games all season. So far this season we've managed to lose 3. We were hammering sides on.a regular basis scoring 6 or 7 against dross like forfar and Dumbarton. Hetherington is nowhere near the player gomis is. McManus was far better than anything we have currently. Connolly was far better than mcguffie,  sammon was ten times better than Wilson . Doyle at least played every week .Durnan was better than Mackay . Our side the first season down was much better than this current bunch any attempt to say otherwise is laughable.

24 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

And if Montrose had scored the free header from 4 yards out and their penalty we'd have been 4-0 down. Your continuing insistence that we have the best team in the league and we are just unlucky week after week is bizarre to be honest.

Our defence is every bit as bad as anything we saw under M&M. Both goals yesyerday were complete jokes. Connor Sammon has currently scored as many league goals as Keena, Ruth, Ompreon and Wilson put together - and thats being generous and crediting Ruth with the 2nd.

Sheerin, as others have said, apperars to still have the development coach mentality that winning or losing doesn''t matter as long as "we play the right way". The only right way to play is to win games.

Lose to EF next week and the only reason for Sheerin to remain in post is to protect Holt and the BOD - it was obvious when May was appointed he was out of his depth, unfortunately we might be heading that way under Sheerin. Until such times as Holt, Deans and their crew are nowwhere near the club we might never find out for sure whether under other guidance Sheerin might work out.

Guest Brockvillenomore

Imagine the recruitment if the investment of £760k,  NB plus the Rawlins if they wanted to maintain 26%. 

Let’s get a reality check here. The investment would have went through if 2 members of the board had stood down. But they know better don’t they. How’s that working out? It was blocked because they didn’t want to lose control……..Is that acting in the best interests of the club, as is their duty as a director?  The NB expressed concern about the board and recruitment. Quite justifiably I’d say on the evidence so far. Our club is in crisis and those in charge are acting out of self interest and arrogance. 

25 minutes ago, Brockvillenomore said:

Imagine the recruitment if the investment of £760k,  NB plus the Rawlins if they wanted to maintain 26%. 

Let’s get a reality check here. The investment would have went through if 2 members of the board had stood down. But they know better don’t they. How’s that working out? It was blocked because they didn’t want to lose control……..Is that acting in the best interests of the club, as is their duty as a director?  The NB expressed concern about the board and recruitment. Quite justifiably I’d say on the evidence so far. Our club is in crisis and those in charge are acting out of self interest and arrogance. 

Can only see there being major cuts at the end of this season if we aren't promoted.  The well will have run dry and the Rawlins obviously won't be putting their hands in their pockets that's quite clear. So far getting them on board has resulted in zero progress what so ever. Our recruitment is still shite whether it be players or management and we're pissing money down the drain on more and more blazers whilst the team gets worse and worse.  You just know that the club is going to end up in a perilous state and the NB guys will be forced into getting involved saving it and that will mean their 500k being used to take over the club and pay debts instead of investing in the club itself. 

2 hours ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

We don't attract quality because we don't pay for quality. It's that simple. 

We can afford to pay far far more than we do for a small group of decent players. 

Instead we go for the scattergun approach of bringing in 7 shit players for peanuts rather than 3 good players for a decent wage. And I mean decent..not 10K a week . We can easily afford to pay 3/4 players £1000 a week with our crowds and income.

If anyone disputes that think back to how much we've shelled out I payoffs to get rid of the cheap shit regret buys in the past 4 years.

We also end up panic signing players before the windows close when it's quite clear that the ones we have signed previously aren't up to scratch. If we lose again by the end of the month I could see so more loans appearing to try and stem the tide.

Guest Back Post Misses

Recruitment is EVERYTHING.

The spine of the team is always the rock a team is built on and they are usually the leaders on the pitch. 

We need a reliable goalkeeper, a CH in the mould of Yogi or Joe MCLaughlin, a Davie Nicholls in midfield and a Darryl Duffy/Andy Thomson type striker. Since the season we lost to Kilmarnock we have got exceedingly worse year on year. 

I refuse to believe those type of players are not out there. That is Holt (supported by Rawlins) responsibility. It is not working. Holt never was going to. 

Sheerin I believe deserves time 

Edited by Back Post Misses

5 minutes ago, DrewMcP76 said:

Anyone thinking Sheerin should be sacked anytime soon needs to open their eyes, has he made mistakes in recent weeks? Yes obviously. But is his team also still showing real signs of life? Yes. Give him time 

Welcome to P&B Paul.

3 minutes ago, DrewMcP76 said:

Anyone thinking Sheerin should be sacked anytime soon needs to open their eyes, has he made mistakes in recent weeks? Yes obviously. But is his team also still showing real signs of life? Yes. Give him time 

He’s putting pressure on himself IMO by not starting his best players. We can’t keep chasing games from 2 goals down every week. He’s backing himself into a corner.

11 minutes ago, DrewMcP76 said:

This was the same pish people were spouting two months' into Eddie May's regime when it was obvious to anyone who knew anything about football that he was miles out his depth. Remind me what happened there?

12 minutes ago, Gaz said:

This was the same pish people were spouting two months' into Eddie May's regime when it was obvious to anyone who knew anything about football that he was miles out his depth. Remind me what happened there?

I can’t see him getting sacked anytime soon and after such a short period. Just imagine how that would look when the club has put a infrastructure in place to vastly improve our fortunes moving forward. 
IMO the only way he’ll walk if HE decides he’s had enough of the pressure gets too much. 
I cannot see the club derail its plans because of an indifferent start. The good thing here it’s not even October yet so still time to turn it around. 

Edited by bejazz1

Something I just cant get my head around is people saying that we played well yesterday and even more so that we deserved to win the game. You just can’t be as bad at defending as we are and deserve to win anything. Performances have been on the slide the last few weeks though the first defeat against Queens Park we were unlucky we were the better team but poor play in front of goal meant we got beat. Alloa was a disaster, Dumbarton played us absolutely perfectly came with a game plan and seen it through band then yesterday wasn’t really any better than last week. Aye we had chances but so did they and aside from Ruth hitting the ‘keeper we didn’t get many on target and our general play of hoofing the ball to Sean Dillon or passing the ball about a bit then giving it away is humming as well.

I would agree that Sheerin deserves more time but he really needs to stop being so stubborn with some players and his favoured style of play. If it’s not working and players are not performing get it changed or we will be in some serious bother. 

The worrying thing is when people start accepting this level and we should give people more time when we are sitting in 6th place in league 1 after finishing the previous season in 5th place. Expectations and standards have dropped massively.

Soon Deans and co will be congratulating the team for pushing hard to make the play off places in league one and some Falkirk fans will clap the team off the pitch as we unfortunately miss out on 4th place to f**king Dumbarton. 

14 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

I can’t see him getting sacked anytime soon and after such a short period. Just imagine how that would look when the club has put a infrastructure in place to vastly improve our fortunes moving forward. 
IMO the only way he’ll walk if HE decides he’s had enough of the pressure gets too much. 
I cannot see the club derail its plans because of an indifferent start. The good thing here it’s not even October yet so still time to turn it around. 

We heard the same old excuses last season.  It's pretty easy to tell when things are going to improve over time and like last season this ain't one of them. It's like feckin groundhog Day.  Decent start then opponents work us out and there's no plan b. One defeat soon becomes a long list of defeats as noone has the balls to get a grip of things and turn it around. I'd actually be more positive if we'd started off poorly and we're now getting things together as that would at least show that over time we're getting there. Currently we're just making the same mistakes over and over again and nothing is changing.

No surprise that Aberdeen are going the same way we are after appointing a kiddies coach.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

13 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

Enough already, Derail it’s plans by what?……….winning games? The only way he will lose his job is if he decides to walk? I really don’t know how your brain processes stuff, but it’s looking a bit off.

An infrastructure to vastly improve our fortunes. Jesus Aitch.

18 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We heard the same old excuses last season.  It's pretty easy to tell when things are going to improve over time and like last season this ain't one of them. It's like feckin groundhog Day.  Decent start then opponents work us out and there's no plan b. One defeat soon becomes a long list of defeats as noone has the balls to get a grip of things and turn it around. I'd actually be more positive if we'd started off poorly and we're now getting things together as that would at least show that over time we're getting there. Currently we're just making the same mistakes over and over again and nothing is changing.

No surprise that Aberdeen are going the same way we are after appointing a kiddies coach.

Sweeping statements like this are just complete nonsense.  Plenty of youth team coaches go on to become good managers.  Its as daft an argument as the folk who try to claim that because some older guys we signed in the past didn;t work out we should never sign any more older guys.  

A couple of days away from this forum and the football might do you good Shadwell.  

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/07/football-club-next-manager-coaching-youth-team-premier-league-ferguson-ljungberg

Edited by Proudtobeabairn